JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to purchase a .22 suppressor and I've been told that the current wait is close to a year. I was wondering if I was to buy a used suppressor, with my trust already set up if this would speed things along. Can any offer me any advice on this.

It's hard, if not impossible, to find anyone selling a used .22 suppressor. With that particular caliber most of the money is caught up in transfer, not the suppressor itself. If you were to buy an out of state suppressor from a private party I believe you would have to pay the tax stamp twice, which would end up being twice the price of the suppressor itself. I'm not up on NFA laws so that might be incorrect, but I have researched buying a used rimfire suppressor and it was not worth it.

To answer your question though, a transfer is a transfer. It doesn't matter where it's coming from, the wait time is waiting for the ATF to do it's thing.

If you do want to buy a suppressor, for the shortest wait time, buy in-state from someone who has one in their possession. If you buy from a dealer, buy one they have in stock. If you buy used, stay in state.

If you buy from an out of state dealer, you'll have a slightly longer wait time, but you still only have to pay for one transfer. It wouldn't be worth your $ to buy a suppressor from an out of state private seller because you would have to pay for 2 transfers and have 2 times the wait.

As for price, I payed about $390 for a Silencerco Sparrow, then add $200 for the stamp, so that's roughly a 2:1 ratio. The check was cashed 2/2/13 and I'm still waiting as well. I need to give the ATF a call and find out the status.

Finally, I agree that trying to find a used .22 suppressor will be difficult. Most people buy them for life.

So does that me even if I do find a used suppressor I have to wait for the AFT to do their thing before I can take ownership? Or am I breaking the law by even approaching someone to purchase it in the first place, for not having applied for the tax stamp in the first place?

So does that me even if I do find a used suppressor I have to wait for the AFT to do their thing before I can take ownership? Or am I breaking the law by even approaching someone to purchase it in the first place, for not having applied for the tax stamp in the first place?

What takes the time is waiting for your stamp from the ATF. Depending on the dealer you maybe able to "purchase" it before you get the stamp and if they have a range you can use it on site, bit ownership won't be transfered until you get your stamp.

It's the BATF that slows you down with their wait tmes, not necessarily the availability of the item. Like PDXSparky said, buy locally & in stock. Most good dealers will usually fill out the paperwork for you that day & help you send it off ASAP. +1 for the Sparrow. +1 for Curts Discount Shooters Supply in Milwaukie. IMHO, buy a new one (unless you're getting it for near free or in like new condition), as .22 supressors can be easily abused. Either way you're paying for the tax stamp & begrudgingly waiting... :)

Nevermind I google it. And it took me to ATF website :) this is something new, I wish I knew about this a month ago, it took me around 4 weeks for ATF to cash my check for my second Draco SBR. I was wonder why it took them so long to take my money!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top