JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Chief Fire Official has the authority to enforce the Fire Code within his or her jurisdiction and should be contacted prior to implementing any opinion expressed in the following information. Proper placement of a CO alarm is important. The CO alarm must be located adjacent to all sleeping areas of the home to increase the likelihood that sleeping occupants will hear the alarm if it goes off. Unlike smoke, which rises to the ceiling, CO mixes with air. Hence CO alarms may be installed at any height. However, if a combination smoke/CO alarm is used, it must be installed on or near the ceiling as per manufacturer's instructions, to ensure that it can detect smoke effectively.
Existing residential occupancies that contain at least one fuel-burning appliance (e.g., gas water heater or gas furnace), fireplace or an attached garage, require the installation of a CO alarm.(Ontario). Check this article which says most of the fatal poisoning in Canada is CO poisoning Why Do You Need A CO Detector In Your Home? | Calgary Alarm Inc.. It also says that they need to be placed near bedrooms where they can be heard.

Of course. :rolleyes:

CO is dense, so will begin to fall & fill up low spaces, a simple analogy would be to imagine a water spicket coming from your gas kitchen range and flowing out & down.

The gas will "slosh" akin to a pool or tub.

Now if your home has a high flow air circulation system or you have fans going, the CO will mix in.

Hence I stand by my statement of mounting a CO detector in a low point. It will detect non mixed in CO in low circulation environ as well as CO mixed in a high flow environ.

If your detectors are only mounted above sleeping level, you risk it no being detected at all, and increase the risk of injury and death.

My experience with these in the construction industry would say the #1 concern is carbon monoxide. If you are not adequately ventilated, you could potentially build up a deadly level of CO gas. I recall there are some versions that are what I would call 'safer' for indoor use, but be darn sure. And, either way, I would be sure you have a functional CO alarm in your workspace, just to be extra safe - you can't see or smell CO gas.
Definitely get a carbon monoxide detector. We used the indoor ones in our job shacks on the jobsites, and I have one in my garage. I still keep the window cracked a bit to get a small flow of fresh air just to be extra safe. They are pretty cheap at Harbor freight, and they work well.

The electric ones will skyrocket your electric bill though. Not to mention trip breakers cause they all tend to overload the circuit, especially if you run any power tools.
The ones I use haven't actually. I was really worried about that when I got them to heat up a few rooms in my house above the garage. Had a pretty small increase in cost. Surprised the hell out of me.

The ones I use haven't actually. I was really worried about that when I got them to heat up a few rooms in my house above the garage. Had a pretty small increase in cost. Surprised the hell out of me.
I have one of the Eden pure quartz infrared electric heaters that does pretty good in small areas. Supposed to be the most efficient electric heater. But if your shop has concrete floors, IMO, propane is easier to control. The electric will keep compensating for the cold coming up from the floor.:s0159:

I have a little buddy we use duck hunting no problem there in the blind open plenty of fresh air but we use it in a boat also but still lot of fresh air circulated through the canvas top

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top