JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think what the Propane Fuel does is it sucks the oxygen out of the room. I think that is different then Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Or is Carbon Monoxide poisoning just the term used when there is oxygen present even after using a fuel, such as Propane or running a gasoline engine in an enclosed space? Anybody?

Fire requires 3 things:

Heat
Oxygen
Fuel

The combustion uses an Oxygen atom and fuses it with a Carbon atom along with many other things.

We need a basic physics class up in this hizzouse.

High levels of bad gasses after burning propane will make your eyes burn.

Don't ask how I know. If you reach that point get some fresh air. :D

a buddy or big buddy heater will do the job in a two car garage. there is adapter hoses that will make them run off a big tank instead of the little green ones.

Haha, as I sit here in my man cave (the garage) I have my Big Buddy heater fed by a 20lb cylinder.

Yeah I can heat my garage from 40-75 degrees in about 1/2 hour. I have the power adapter so I run the circulating fan all the time.

Three concerns: CO, low O2, low setting flame out explosion risk. Modern gas furnaces have heat sensing thermocouples.

Solution: buy a direct vent propane heater made to go indoors.

I've been using my Big Buddy for 3 years now. I've fallen asleep in my man cave and woke up the next morning just fine. Its catalytic and frankly unless you have an air tight room I think you'd be ok. But that's just my opinion.

Fire requires 3 things:

Heat
Oxygen
Fuel

The combustion uses an Oxygen atom and fuses it with a Carbon atom along with many other things.

We need a basic physics class up in this hizzouse.

You're close (maybe just terminology)

Fire needs:

1. Ignition source.

2. Fuel

3. Oxygen

If you take away any ONE you don't get fire.

I too have an outbuilding workshop and I have a Mitsubishi ductless heatpump. Heating in the winter, cooling in the summer. No fire hazard, no CO poisoning. :D

Haha, as I sit here in my man cave (the garage) I have my Big Buddy heater fed by a 20lb cylinder.
The only think is those small canisters, perhaps the next purchase I can get an adapter as those are indoor safe. This will work for now with a sensor.

My pole barn shop has that vinyl covered R-1 insulation under the roof panels and that's it for insulation.
I installed a large infrared heater panel above my work table and it makes it tolerable on the coldest days.
I've worked around those kerosene/propane turbo air blaster heaters and they always gave me a headache.

When I used to work in my two car garage I used a Big Buddy hooked to a 5 gallon tank. I would be in shorts when it was snowing outside. Wish it would heat my shop now since it was so clean and easy to use.

Old thread, but I'm setting out on my back deck reading the interwebs with my "portable buddy" keeping me toasty warm.

...just a friendly reminder to all...

Keep your catalytic & ceramic propane heaters clean/covered while in storage. Simple things like dust can contaminate the eliment, causing it to outgas CO (carbon monoxide) & CO2 + H2O, rather than just CO2 & H2O.

The CO doesn't have to be much to bind your bodies hemoglobin so it will not carry Oxygen. It has no odor.

Take your heaters outside after long storage & run them for a bit, for an hour or 2. And when you use them indoors allways use CO detector at a low point in the room, they're cheap enough these days.

Make sure you buy a good one, actually I'd buy 2

Yup.

I use 2 in the camper, one set at baseboard level, and one at near head level because the beds at that height...and we don't run the heater while sleeping...

Have had the floor height CO detector go off one morning simply from cooking breakfast/making coffee.

At home we have 4, the 2 from the camper go back in the shop plus 2.

Also change out the dang batteries! Easiest is to just change them out, along with your smoke detectors at daylight savings time.

Lookup "blue flame' heaters on the internet.Almost all full time rv'ers use them in their RV s. I use one in my garage 16x24 No problem. Also hang a tarp from ceiling to block of the part of the garage I'm not using. I put hooks up and just hook the tarp on or take it off in seconds. Works great to heat only the space your going to use. In my case the reloading bench. Smaller space also a electric heater will work for you ;););)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top