JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am pretty old school when it comes to heat wood and or fuel was the way I went.
So anyways in my shop its getting colder and I am getting older o_O and purchases a propane heater that uses my 20lb ones. It says for outdoor use, but I have seen friends and family use these in shops even those big flame thrower types. They make indoor that uses those dink dsiposables but to me thats a waste and they look cheaply made.

So other the the obvious open flame why do they say not indoors.
( I wont be painting, or using sprays near it I realize that but wondered why it says indoors
but I see them in allot of shops even commercial ones )

Thanks

My experience with these in the construction industry would say the #1 concern is carbon monoxide. If you are not adequately ventilated, you could potentially build up a deadly level of CO gas. I recall there are some versions that are what I would call 'safer' for indoor use, but be darn sure. And, either way, I would be sure you have a functional CO alarm in your workspace, just to be extra safe - you can't see or smell CO gas.

how big is your shop?

My buddy and i have had good luck with the dragon heaters (big flame ones) that run off of propane in his 30x60 shop. granted the shop is insulated and we keep the doors shut... havent had any carbon monoxide sensors go off yet so i figure we're fine. he is planning on puttin a wood stove in it though.

Carbon monoxide poisoning. Like family of eight found dead in trailer...authorities said they used a propane heater in an enclosed space.

Its probably a 15x10 about the size of a 1 car garage. The heater has three setting it the one they sell at Bimart for like 49.95 the flame is maybe 1/4 inch off the pad.

i use my "buddy heater" with a 5 gallon propane tank too. supposedly it has a CO sensor or low oxygen sensor...anyway, have let that run all night in a canvas wall tent while out hunting. no problems there either. i guess the biggest thing is adequate ventilation.

I could always leave the door open a crack I realize heating the whole room is hard so its more to be aimed in my direction when sitting or standing at the bench. I was going to go electric but none I found really worked and were not efficient.

PS I have carb sensor in the shop area.

Its probably a 15x10 about the size of a 1 car garage. The heater has three setting it the one they sell at Bimart for like 49.95 the flame is maybe 1/4 inch off the pad.
a buddy or big buddy heater will do the job in a two car garage. there is adapter hoses that will make them run off a big tank instead of the little green ones.

Thanks guys for the quick replies ok I will make sure to be ventilated well and my co alarm is working. Anytime I fireup gas powered item in my shop it goes off so should work well on this.

Carbon Monoxide is your only concern.

Get a little ventilation going here and there and if your sensors do not go off then your good to go.

If it has a low setting, use that and you probably won't need to vent anything.

I use to use a torpedo style to get my unisulated shop shop up to 65/7o. It would take 10 15 minuets to get to that temp, then I would turn it off and let my 220 volt heater take over. I sold the torpedo , it was just to loud. Now I just turn on the electric a couple hours before I go out there. It never killed me but use it at your risk,

Cheap insurance.

Get a CO detector and put it at the lowest place in the shop or at
The base
Of
The heater.

I think what the Propane Fuel does is it sucks the oxygen out of the room. I think that is different then Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Or is Carbon Monoxide poisoning just the term used when there is oxygen present even after using a fuel, such as Propane or running a gasoline engine in an enclosed space? Anybody?

A safer solution would be an electric heater - either with a regular element or infrared - if you're not opposed to using electric, that is.
I think what the Propane Fuel does is it sucks the oxygen out of the room. I think that is different then Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Or is Carbon Monoxide poisoning just the term used when there is oxygen present even after using a fuel, such as Propane or running a gasoline engine in an enclosed space? Anybody?

The CO is produced when fuel, such as propane is burned. When the burning is incomplete, such as if the burner is malfunctioning, high levels of CO can be produced. Since you can't see or smell it, there is no way to know, save for a CO alarm, if levels are getting dangerously high.

A safer solution would be an electric heater - either with a regular element or infrared - if you're not opposed to using electric, that is.

The CO is produced when fuel, such as propane is burned. When the burning is incomplete, such as if the burner is malfunctioning, high levels of CO can be produced. Since you can't see or smell it, there is no way to know, save for a CO alarm, if levels are getting dangerously high.

OK but CO (Carbon Dioxide) isn't Carbon Monoxide.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top