JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I plan on selling one of my handguns I bought in California (it is registered), and I want to know, when I do the private party transfer at the gun store (NW Armory), will they notify the government that I am no longer in possession of the gun?

will the gun store give me some sort of proof?

Also, is there is fee for a private party transfer?

thanks

EDIT: I live in OREGON. I no longer live in California.... I want to sell one of my guns here in OREGON.

Last Edited:
There is a fee for everything nowadays lol I remember when you could get air in your tires at a gas station for free lol no serious all gun shops charge a fee now as for Cali I couldn't tell you

I said I don't know about a fee for Cali but now thought about it for a minute I bet there is a fee for them to remove you from the dangerous person list they have on you because you bought a gun lol

Best way is to sell everything in the state of California. Then re-buy everything in your new state.

Best way is to sell everything in the state of California. Then re-buy everything in your new state.
That depends on what kind of gun it is in this case it's a handgun but they might want to see the mags if it takes mags and see how many rounds it holds lol they could just confiscate it then if you have one of those demons that holds more than 10

That depends on what kind of gun it is in this case it's a handgun but they might want to see the mags if it takes mags and see how many rounds it holds lol they could just confiscate it then if you have one of those demons that holds more than 10
Up until recently if I recall they didn't have any sort of registry or confiscation of larger then ten round magazines. So if he brought those to Oregon from California, he shouldn't have to do anything.

What I learned from a friend in the dark state, most second hand sales don't include magazines.

Here is what I would do if I were moving out of Calif. (I didn't even know you had to notify them before this thread), I would send them their stupid form on every firearm that they have records on, and then I would be in the clear. If I then sold the firearm to someone else in another state, then follow the fed laws and the state laws for where I am currently residing. At that point I have done what is needed by law. Once I am off their books what I do with the guns outside of Calif. is none of their business.

That's right sad to say we are not far behind Cali here In OR and WA don't know if they reported it in OR but there is a gang war going on in Seattle like 6 shootings in the last few days BUT GUESS WHO FALT THAT IS it's not the drug addict 's or the drug dealers yep it's all are falt the law-abiding gun owner

i dont live in California. i updated the 1st post
I know you will have to pay a ffl to do a background check on the buyer here in WASHINGTON and Oregon or have the buyer pay it or split it between you two but as for the California thing to transfer it out of your name I don't know but like I said I bet there is a fee for that too keep us updated if there is a fee

This something that could probably be solved pretty easy by one of the guys on here that have a FFL just have to wait for them to see the thread and reply

i dont live in California. i updated the 1st post
You'll have to have the new buyer perform a background check and this must be done through a FFL. Most FFLs treat this like an online sale, in other words the buyer pays a transfer fee for the transaction along with the 10 dollar cost of the Oregon background check. Typically runs 25-30 dollars in total. Sometimes the seller will cover some of this cost to make The deal worthy. The dealer is not obligated to do any sort of check to see if the gun is on California's registration. There is no law on the books in Oregon stating an Oregon FFL has to do any such thing. They also will not be notifying California you no longer own it. They will however, check to make sure the gun is not registered stolen. If it passes that test and the buyer passes his background check the transfer will be completed.

As for your sake, if you have not already done so, fill out the form I attached and mail it in to California. It falls under your responsibility to perform this part of the equation. That will basically tell California that you either left the state or sold it, depending on how you decide to fill out the form.

I plan on selling one of my handguns I bought in California (it is registered), and I want to know, when I do the private party transfer at the gun store (NW Armory), will they notify the government that I am no longer in possession of the gun?

will the gun store give me some sort of proof?

Also, is there is fee for a private party transfer?

thanks

EDIT: I live in OREGON. I no longer live in California.... I want to sell one of my guns here in OREGON.
Oregon will NOT notify anyone that you sold the gun, not California or anybody else. Whether you are selling any of your guns or not, you NEED to file the form that appears above in this thread for each of your firearms that California knows about, and tell them you've MOVED out of the state. This is completely separate from any sales or other transactions by you. California has a list of guns they think you own. If any of them are used in a crime or otherwise turn up in a criminal investigation the California authorities will come back to you, or send authorities from another state back to you for an explanation. You need to get California and its gun registry out of your life ASAP. File the forms. Tell them you've moved. After that, all you have to worry about is the state where you live now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top