JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Couple of my thoughts on the subject...

When complaining about the higher cost that a store is selling powder for, I wonder "has the store taken advantage of the shortage and increased it's profit margin (price gouged) or are they simply passing along the higher price they recently paid to the wholesaler?" Personally, I would want to know that before disparaging them...
Also, while I believe prices for reloading supplies will decrease from the current highs, I think people who are waiting for primers to be readily available at $35 per brick are not going to be reloading anything soon.

When complaining about the higher cost that a store is selling powder for, I wonder "has the store taken advantage of the shortage and increased it's profit margin (price gouged) or are they simply passing along the higher price they recently paid to the wholesaler?" Personally, I would want to know that before disparaging them...
Also, while I believe prices for reloading supplies will decrease from the current highs, I think people who are waiting for primers to be readily available at $35 per brick are not going to be reloading anything soon.
I actually keep in contact with a fair number of suppliers and retailers. An from what I've heard from them is that they don't cost the crazy prices that some of the stores charge. A pass is given for a number of small local shops with high prices cause their operation costs went up, most have said it's not even wage increase costing it, it's property, utilities and supply costs that hurting them most. 5.56 is a good example, most companies are paying about $6-8 a box and are charging $14-20 a box.

"has the store taken advantage of the shortage and increased it's profit margin (price gouged) or are they simply passing along the higher price they recently paid to the wholesaler?"
You might get an indicator in answering your question by looking at gas prices. The price of gas has skyrocketed over the past two weeks, and especially so just this week. But do those prices reflect how much gas stations recently paid for fuel? In most cases, no. In other words, the gas stations are simply selling their existing fuel stored in underground tanks at vastly inflated prices, and vastly inflated profit margins.

Pretty simple: if a business can get away with gouging customers, it will do so.

No such thing as price gouging. The buyer is in control of what he buys or doesn't. People are still buying and there are still mass shortages. If your that worried about the prices don't buy. Don't fill up your 80k diesel truck and just sit and wait till prices come down to what you believe to be fair. Le me know how that works out for ya

Well as it turns out I was in sportsmans again last night and low and behold all powder was purchased at mentioned prices. I agree no such thing as "price gouging" just reloaders in a tough place. Hopefully supplies and prices will stabilize. If I should run across a great price on real life unicorns does anyone want one?

Well as it turns out I was in sportsmans again last night and low and behold all powder was purchased at mentioned prices. I agree no such thing as "price gouging" just reloaders in a tough place. Hopefully supplies and prices will stabilize. If I should run across a great price on real life unicorns does anyone want one?
C0293ABA-6BCA-4109-8C1D-551AD3A1E7FF.jpeg
This guy wants one..

I posted a 8lb jug of excess varget I have for 450 and could have sold it time and time again except I don't wanna ship it
Varget is one of the Hodgdon powders from Australia that hasn't been available for a long time. See this story:

Which is slightly dated now but still accurate. Note that it takes them 6 months to run a single batch of powder. Not said in the article, it takes longer to make stick powders than ball powders, that's why IMR products are pretty scant now too.

Extraordinary weather events shut down powder prodution in Australia, too much moisture in the air, etc.

Then there are all those container ships backed up, shipping costs went up a lot, that will affect products from Australia.

We may be waiting a good long time more for Varget, H4895 and a few other powders from Oz.

The following opinion is biased as I tend to buy whatever is the best value with all my shopping.

I think that some powder shoppers might be overly picky with their powder shopping given the shortages we are experiencing. I would compare it to fuel connoisseurs. Some fuel buyers only want to buy a certain grade of fuel from a certain brand or producer. In times of normal supply and pricing this may not present a problem. In times of shortages the preferred fuel may not be available at a fuel station with a good price or might not be available at all. During these times a buyer could decide not to drive his/her car or try a different grade or brand of fuel. A different fuel might not give the same mileage or performance of the preferred fuel but at least the car could be driven.

With regards to powder there seems to be a few types that are very popular but also very hard to get right now (Varget being one of them). It makes me wonder how shooters ever managed to get good groups prior to these unicorn powders being on the market. Since Ball powders are the only type of powder being produced in the US now, I would consider trying some of them out during these times of shortages. Groups might not be as tight but you'll stand a better chance at getting your hands on some.

People run out of ammo? Just take a break from shooting. Heck - I'm looking at getting a $300 ish air rifle just because I can enjoy plinking with that for a while and save my ammo until sanity returns to the country or the end of the country, whichever happens first.
I finally tried one of the PCP's a year or so ago. Damn thing is fun and cheap. Not to mention can shoot in the house. :D

There is quite a bit of powder out there right now and available for decent prices but you need to order in quantity to make hazmat and shipping pencil out.
YEP! I have LONG ordered powder and primers. Often it was a little cheaper to buy them at a store, I just did not want to go to the store unless I was already going. So I would order the max they would ship to mitigate the cost of the fee. For those who do not want to order this kind of quantity two things. Panics come and go but they always come again. Stored properly the stuff will outlive you. So having extra is nice. If some do not want to keep some around then of course go in with others to spread out the order. Maybe some could use this group to find others in their area who want to go in with them on an order to spit it?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top