JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sportsman Warehouse in Vancouver had powder this morning! Hallelujah! Grabbed t8 pound jugs of H1000 and Retumbo and headed to check out!! They rung up at $569.00 H1000 $599.00 Retumbo. I promptly put it back on shelf and settled for a couple $47.00 pounds of H322. I hope this is just Sportsman's profiting Not a sign of things to come.

C33B4C6D-052A-4736-835F-27AC77C0F862.jpeg 4E8E8C2D-96D7-45D8-ADAC-1F20B32D933D.jpeg

Another thing you'll notice is they stopped putting price tags on the shelves and stopped putting them on the bottles as well.
This is a marketing tactic, the way it works is: once you have it and reach the register you are than more likely to still buy it regardless of higher than expected price(s) or crazy high price(s).
This is the same tactic they use in online sales the: add to cart to see price BS.
I know this works because I warned a guy that he could order the same powder cheaper online(yes even with haz&ship added) and he still paid $85 more than what it cost to order. He even said, no joke: "that's more expensive than I thought but guess I can't get it cheaper."
As long as people are willing to pay Sportsman's crazy high prices for powder (highest everywhere I've seen outside of secondary private sale) no joke they are the most expensive place to get powder, bullets, brass and ammo (aside from Big5 & Gun Room who took the award for highest ammo prices).

The only way we are going to get them to drop the price back to reasonable is for people to stop buying it even if the want/need it. I can normally wait about 1-3 weeks and can find the same powders I want for $8 to $150 cheaper than Sportsman's. Yes that is even if I order it and they are doing this to all the powders. Example: the portland Sportsman's has an 8lb jug of Hodgdon 50bmg for almost $357 and you can order it for $256-307 the popular ones are even worse. I.e. Retumbo: Sportsman's $66, Hodgdon $44 for a 1lb bottle. Sportsman's $557, Hodgdon $294 for an 8lb jug.
H1000. H4350, Varget, H4831SC: Sportsman's $367, Hodgdon $294 for an 8lb jug.
I fully expect Sportsman's to keep raising the price on powder, primers, brass and bullets.

Sportsman Warehouse in Vancouver had powder this morning! Hallelujah! Grabbed t8 pound jugs of H1000 and Retumbo and headed to check out!! They rung up at $569.00 H1000 $599.00 Retumbo. I promptly put it back on shelf and settled for a couple $47.00 pounds of H322. I hope this is just Sportsman's profiting Not a sign of things to come.

View attachment 1147863 View attachment 1147864
That price is criminal.

It seemed like lots of people were getting primers at Sportsmans over the past year or so. Has that pretty well dried up now?
For a while you couldn't find anything cause the employees were taking most or all of them. I found out recently that corporate caught wind of this and said next to do it before it hits the shelf for customers gets fired. So maybe we can find them once again cause I know they were getting them but they almost never made it to the shelf.

What could be done by some of us here on this site, is to cruise the on-line outlets and score 8-10lbs when when you see it online. AND it's still a reasonably good deal for the times. Then let it go to other for what was paid or close to it. That of course is as long as you can afford the initial outlay. Just a thought. I enjoyed doing that with some reloading items in the past.

It seemed like lots of people were getting primers at Sportsmans over the past year or so. Has that pretty well dried up now?
Yes they had a limited amount of Federal primers and got 200 each person. $6 per sleeve. A couple weeks ago I got 1k of SPP for $45 hard to figure. I wonder since Caela/Bass bought them if that figures in. Those outfits are not known for good pricing.

What could be done by some of us here on this site, is to cruise the on-line outlets and score 8-10lbs when when you see it online. AND it's still a reasonably good deal for the times. Then let it go to other for what was paid or close to it. That of course is as long as you can afford the initial outlay. Just a thought. I enjoyed doing that with some reloading items in the past.
That would help spread out the haz mat and shipping fees. It's a gamble and extra work for the buyer so I wouldn't fault them for making a few bucks on the portion they sell.

Yes they had a limited amount of Federal primers and got 200 each person. $6 per sleeve. A couple weeks ago I got 1k of SPP for $45 hard to figure. I wonder since Caela/Bass bought them if that figures in. Those outfits are not known for good pricing.
They didn't buy sportsmans, they canceled the purchase. If you paid $6per Sleeve before tax they changed you wrong and you over paid, if so I'd make them fix it. Their price online is what they are suppose to charge, not more.

That would help spread out the haz mat and shipping fees. It's a gamble and extra work for the buyer so I wouldn't fault them for making a few bucks on the portion they sell.
Agreed. I've enjoyed distributing needed supplies to members and meeting them. Not something I want to do constantly though. And if someone wants to jack the price and profit from our members, that' up to them. I'd hope they also give some back to the community that facilitates that profit.

H1K, Retumbo -- both unobtainium lately. Recently purchased a 1 pounder of RL33 at Fisherman's for $48. That stuff is even rarer, so I would expect normal pricing for H1000 and RET to be $400/8lbs. YMMV.
Glad you didn't acquiesce to getting raped at the register.

H1K, Retumbo -- both unobtainium lately. Recently purchased a 1 pounder of RL33 at Fisherman's for $48. That stuff is even rarer, so I would expect normal pricing for H1000 and RET to be $400/8lbs. YMMV.
Glad you didn't acquiesce to getting raped at the register.
Wish I know you were looking for RL-33, they had it on powder valley this last week.

Powder prices won't be going down anytime soon. Fuel is gonna skyrocket force all commodities too.
There are still reasonable prices at online suppliers but haz mat, shipping and limits can kill many of the "deals". The extruded powders are still not easy to come by, even online.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some surplus powders. Hopefully I don't blow my face or fingers off. If I do blow my face or fingers off at least I will have the satisfaction of not having paid Sportsman's $500+ for a keg of canister grade powder:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top