JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is the grey area with Hammer bullets. They well advertise their bullets do not line up with conventional data and due to their drive band technology reducing friction their bullets run faster velocities than traditional bullets or even other monos. This guys running their Absolute Hammers which (according to Hammer) typically get at least 200fps faster than similar bullets.
That said, Im not disagreeing with you and I approach my learning curve with these bullets with the same caution your citing. Im loading an Absolute bullet in my elk rifle and have stopped well below what they suggest due to a sticky extraction (primers look great) but im not getting the "claimed" additional velocity. I cant complain, I am safely getting near max velocity in published data with comparable bullet weights. However the "pressure ladder" is the same process I use and Im finding it way faster to get to a charge node than traditional OCW ladder and with way less [expensive] hunting bullets. The cool thing Ive found is the Hammer bullets themselves all group tight regardless of charge or seating depth, so I didnt have to play with seating depth (as advertized) at least on the one handload for my deer rifle. Just find pressure backed off a full grain and zeroed the rifle. My next range session I will be shooting for groups with my elk rifle and so far those are already grouping nice so Im hoping to zero and call that one done.
There is rarely a free lunch and you are wise to back off with any signs of pressure. In my opinion Hammer ought to undertake pressure trace testing and publish it if they are claiming they can get up to 200 fps faster than conventional bullets while staying within safe pressure boundaries. Maybe they have and I have not stumbled upon it yet?

There is rarely a free lunch and you are wise to back off with any signs of pressure. In my opinion Hammer ought to undertake pressure trace testing and publish it if they are claiming they can get up to 200 fps faster than conventional bullets while staying within safe pressure boundaries. Maybe they have and I have not stumbled upon it yet?
My understanding is they are still fairly new company, started in the owners garage a few years ago. Their drive bands are patented so they have this hold on that technology and its working, but I agree they should get some official published data out there as they gain popularity. Currently, your on your own and they say so clearly.
Note, about 200fps faster is my average estimation, not theirs. ... to clarify. But they do "claim" some impressive velocity gains....

Here's the bullet im using in my 280AI: 284 140g AH Im getting about 3100fps with my 26in bbl.
Hammer is saying they get 3387fps from their 22in bbl. (375fps faster than max Hodgdon data)

I can never figure out what actual bullet Nosler data uses (?) so I will cite Hodgdon data for a 140g boattail (cup and core) and they get a MAX velocity of 3012fps with the same powder Im using H4350 (24in bbl).

Im not certain whats holding my rifle up but I will not complain at 3100fps. I think its because its literally brand new and the barrel has not settled in yet, these are my first shots. Ive read as barrels settle in the velocities increase (as well as the POI changes). So Im going slow and being flexible here.

My personal take is Hammers are worth using for big game hunting so its worth the learning curve.

Too many variables to say why your results are different, but it is wise to trust your own findings. I have killed several elk with a 140 gr accubond going 2950 out of a 270win. One was a large lead cow at 400 yds and she was drt. You have plenty of speed with that bullet to get the job done from antelope to elk.

Too many variables to say why your results are different, but it is wise to trust your own findings. I have killed several elk with a 140 gr accubond going 2950 out of a 270win. One was a large lead cow at 400 yds and she was drt. You have plenty of speed with that bullet to get the job done from antelope to elk.
Agree. Im not going to push anything based on what other people claim. Hammer has some user data they publish and some get super fast results but there are a few who claim to stop at normal speeds so Im not alone.
What I am more curious about is if I will start getting faster velocities from the same recipe as my barrel settles in. Im reading it can take a hundred rounds give or take so I will be watching for changes as I put this rifle to use.

Is this normal…?
I hear folks at range talking about using (maybe "unorthodox") powders and creat new data.
They mention "similar burn rates" ….. but it seems they kinda take it upon themselves to load without established data. Starting small of course.
Is this how some end up with squibs?
The principal I understand; I have a book and the internet. So there's no reason for me to really try something stupid in my case(I'm novice).
Just asking…. I'm sure folks here understand better than me and are safe/successful.
My grandfather in the 40's 50's and 60's would get surplus powders and do his own testing and create his own data. These days we have so much data available to us that it is not as common. With commercial powders I can look at powder burn rate charts and pretty safely make an informed decision on powders that I can't find exact data on. DR

My grandfather in the 40's 50's and 60's would get surplus powders and do his own testing and create his own data. These days we have so much data available to us that it is not as common. With commercial powders I can look at powder burn rate charts and pretty safely make an informed decision on powders that I can't find exact data on. DR
Yeah…. I have no desire to do anything. Just curious and try and understand as much as I can. Everyone he is great with answering. Get to see interesting rabbit holes on the side of these question threads. Thx

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top