JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
31-The Family.jpg
.50 Cal. "Hawkins" cap lock & .62 Cal Matchlock Musket

.50 Cal. "Hawkins" cap lock...

Nice! Although the pic is kinda small. :)

I just picked up a Thompson Center 50 (from here), a Hawkins copy from the 70s I think. A kit version apparently.

Unfinished barrel. Which is fine, less work I figure. After I clean it up, etc., was going to cold-blue it.

Anyway, one question I haven't found a good answer to, if I may;
Do I need to treat the INSIDE of it's barrel with anything other than de-rust and clean?

Thanks for any pointers! Hope I'm not a bother. Sometimes YouTube just ain't helpful. :)

Frank in Hillsboro

PS, tried to PM this, but apparently you're a popular guy! :cool:
Capture.JPG

Last Edited:
Nice! Although the pic is kinda small. :)

I just picked up a Thompson Center 50 (from here), a Hawkins copy from the 70s I think. A kit version apparently.

Unfinished barrel. Which is fine, less work I figure. After I clean it up, etc., was going to cold-blue it.

Anyway, one question I haven't found a good answer to, if I may;
Do I need to treat the INSIDE of it's barrel with anything other than de-rust and clean?

Thanks for any pointers! Hope I'm not a bother. Sometimes YouTube just ain't helpful. :)

Frank in Hillsboro

PS, tried to PM this, but apparently you're a popular guy! :cool:
View attachment 769156
Hi Frank,
It looks like I needed to do some house keeping. I'll work on it. :eek:
As far as cleaning muzzle loader barrels....I start off with removing the nipple. Put the barrel in a 5 gal bucket of hot soapy water. Then I give the bore a good scrubbing with a brass brush.:)
You'll need a good, "Worm" to pull patches and for a .50 Cal. a 20ga.mop helps. :p
Oh, If you double click on pictures in a post they should increase in size and clarity. :D

Oh, If you double click [single-left, actually, but yup.] on pictures in a post they should increase in size and clarity. :D

Thank you for all that sir! Saved to review when ready.

re: pics though, yeah, aware of that, maybe something wrong with me. here's how it looks on my end.

Capture.JPG

My brother Mike is a master craftsman in leather work. Here's a scabbard he made for my old 30-40 Krag rifle with a scope. (wish I could talk him into making another one to fit my other 30-40 without the scope! Asking too much? :rolleyes: )

Mike 30-40 Krag 1.jpg

Mike 30-40 Krag 2.jpg

Too bad someone sportsterized this old gun. They refinished the stock too. But I still have an untouched original 30-40.
Mike 30-40 Krag 3.jpg

He included our old ranch brand! Cool!
Mike 30-40 Krag 4 - Copy.jpg

Mike 30-40 Krag 5.jpg

Mike 30-40 Krag 6.jpg

Something I "made" a few years ago.
Instead of having my coffee table completely covered with stuff normal people (lol) keep on one, I modified an existing wooden basket thing I got for free.
Pretty simple, hot glued some wood in there to form a raised channel to hold remotes etc.. ziptied a crappy holster and a LED gooseneck light to it.. and then, most importantly, put 15 pounds of lead ingots in the bottom of it. It's almost like it's nailed down. It stays right there if it's loaded top heavy or you have to grab something quickly.

20200611_131331.jpg

Just finished this...3-egg omlette with a couple of slices of toast and jam and a piping hot cup of coffee that I had yet to pour at this point.
If you have to use a sugar-free jam (due to medical condition), try this stuff. "Polar" brand. It's the best I've ever had.
The Omlette has a slice of sweet onion, 1 stalk of green onion, a slice of Black Forest ham and 3 slices of low sodum bacon (Hormel Black Label)....and 3 large eggs.
YUH-ME! :s0155:

2020_1203_0959-00.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews