JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's no circle P stamp just behind the trigger guard? Very faint maybe because of sanding? Another one, small square, 3/8"-1/2" just above the trigger guard on the left side?
Nope, not that I can see.

7AF4CDEE-E03A-4F4C-8FFF-C35399758A47.jpeg

1448C90F-C6BE-483B-B3C9-CECF5F32853E.jpeg

Last Edited:
One way or another, can's really screw it up more. Some Chestnut Ridge stain and some oil will do the stock right.
Definitely right about that. Just a couple more pics to illustrate the quality of bubba's workmanship... they didn't even remove or mask off the hardware (or at least did a very poor job masking), and also note how runny the application.

B91A4E85-15F7-45C7-BA52-6C60574B3457.jpeg

43102064-4D31-4890-906D-1F96AFFA0C6C.jpeg

I'm stealing this idea from orygun.
In a different thread he suggested a thread should be started on WWI & WWII rifles.
So...
Please feel free to post pictures of WWI & WWII rifles and related accoutrements.
( Web gear and leather , bayonets etc...)
Heck even period pictures of your relatives with the firearms they were issued would be neat to see.

Post 'em if you got 'em!
Andy

This is one of my C&R specimens, an Austrian Steyr M95 Mannlicher Carbine w/ bayonet & scabbard. Cal 8x56R. Bought this one from Century Arms in 2007 for $133, shipped to my door w/ my C&R license. Haven't looked at what they're going for now.
20220131_154313.jpg 20220131_154415.jpg

Same Garand as before. I took the lazy man's approach. Since the shellacked stock was unmarked and the rifle is a mixmaster anyways, I just replaced the stock set with another apparently unmarked one, but at least it's not a hideous one... so at least there's now at least some pride of ownership.

12BD5E67-3115-4A5B-BD52-B19C01A16417.jpeg

Same Garand as before. I took the lazy man's approach. Since the shellacked stock was unmarked and the rifle is a mixmaster anyways, I just replaced the stock set with another apparently unmarked one, but at least it's not a hideous one... so at least there's now at least some pride of ownership.

View attachment 1127800
Some oil on the poor dry stock wouldn't hurt, surely?

I'm impressed with all the guns I've seen here used in real war situations.

I have such a gun, too, but it was used in a war where civilians who thought that they were right fought an Empire that KNEW it was right.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you - the Second Boer War.

My 7mm Mauser carbine, made by DWM of Berlin, later to gain fame as the makers of the Luger pistol, was shot extensively and with great malice aforethought, at British, Canadian and Australian troops, as well as a few natives working for the occupying forces. It was finally surrendered to a member of the New South Wales Mounted Infantry the day after they'd had their clocks cleaned by a couple of hundred Boers. It all went t*t's up for the Boer Kommando the next day, 10th May, 1901, and the upshot was a wholesale surrender that took place on the stoep of the farmhouse at Korannafontein Farm in Natal. The former owner Mijneer Piet Huijsen was led away into captivity for a while, and his little carbine, serial #6691*, passed into history, only to re-surface in 2006 when it came into my ownership.

With little or no hope, I made contact with the historian at the Anglo-Boerse Oorlog Museum in Bloemfontein, only to be put on to the current owner of the farmstead who was a historian of some note in his spare time. From him I obtained ALL the information I related to you, including the POW serial number, and a brief history of the man- who was a diamond-washer from Klipspring, born Pieter Huijsen on the Dutch/German border and emigrated to seek his fortune in South Africa.

1644688179086.png
1644688214785.png
1644688282464.png
*and here is the same model from 'Forgotten Weapons' by Ian McCullom, just THREE digits from mine.....
1644688366778.png
Thanks to the generosity of a fellow poster on this site, I can shoot it with the 175gr flat-base bullet that was the original load for this little carbine, and VERY efficacious it is, too. I can reliably report that 47gr of Vihtavuori N165 gives you all that you might expect from shooting it in a gun that weighs just over five pounds. :)

It was one of two thousand - 5000 - 7000 - made by DWM in early Summer of 1897 for the ZAR - Zuid Afrikaanse Republik - and shipped to Southern Africa in August of that year.

Here is the 'Forgotten weapons' instalment -

My carbine can also be seen in Volume 2, page 264 of Dave C George's twin-volume treatise on carved Boer rifles.

Last Edited:

I have such a gun, too, but it was used in a war where civilians who thought that they were right fought an Empire that KNEW it was right.

My 7mm Mauser carbine, made by DWM of Berlin, later to gain fame as the makers of the Luger pistol, was shot extensively and with great malice aforethought, at British, Canadian and Australian troops, as well as a few natives working for the occupying forces. It was finally surrendered to a member of the New South Wales Mounted Infantry the day after they'd had their clocks cleaned by a couple of hundred Boers. It all went t*t's up for the Boer Kommando the next day, and the upshot was a wholesale surrender that took place on the stoep of the farmhouse at Korannafontein Farm in Natal. The former owner Mijneer Piet Huijsen was led away into captivity for a while, and his little carbine, serial #6691*, passed into history, only to re-surface in 2006 when it came into my ownership.

With little or no hope, I made contact with the historian at the Anglo-Boerse Oorlog Museum in Bloemfontein, only to be put on to the current owner of the farmstead who was a historian of some note in his spare time. From him I obtained ALL the information I related to you, including the POW serial number, and a brief history of the man- who was a diamond-washer from Klipspring, born Pieter Huijsen on the Dutch/German border and emigrated to seek his fortune in South Africa.

View attachment 1130118
View attachment 1130119
View attachment 1130122
and here is the same model from 'Forgotten Weapons' by Ian McCullom, just THREE digits from mine.....
View attachment 1130123

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow poster on this site, I can shoot it with the 175gr flat-base bullet that was the original load for this little carbine, and VERY efficacious it is, too. I can reliably report that 47gr of Vihtavuori N165 gives you all that you might expect from shooting it in a gun that weighs just over five pounds. :)

Awesome find tac..!

My 7mm Mauser carbine, made by DWM of Berlin, later to gain fame as the makers of the Luger pistol, was shot extensively and with great malice aforethought, at British, Canadian and Australian troops, as well as a few natives working for the occupying forces. It was finally surrendered to a member of the New South Wales Mounted Infantry the day after they'd had their clocks cleaned by a couple of hundred Boers. It all went t*t's up for the Boer Kommando the next day, and the upshot was a wholesale surrender that took place on the stoep of the farmhouse at Korannafontein Farm in Natal. The former owner Mijneer Piet Huijsen was led away into captivity for a while, and his little carbine, serial #6691*, passed into history, only to re-surface in 2006 when it came into my ownership.

View attachment 1130118
View attachment 1130119
View attachment 1130122
*and here is the same model from 'Forgotten Weapons' by Ian McCullom, just THREE digits from mine.....
View attachment 1130123

My carbine can also be seen in Volume 2, page 264 of Dave C George's twin-volume treatise on carved Boer rifles.
Whelp,,,,I'm happy to announce, that for this day...YOU WIN THE INTERNET!! :s0155: :s0155:

Take a bow.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads