JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please understand that this is an explanation and not a defense of the words being "wrong" so don't bother arguing with me about it :)

They are considered "wrong" because of the way they were used, as a form of demeaning and dehumanizing a group of people based only on a common trait, in this case a country of origin and in that way they are in fact both like the "N" word

That's it. It isn't a really complex concept and the truth is things can be 'historical' and offensive at the same time
This ^^

Of partial note, those terms are not considered offensive in the UK, so yes, Yank, Jap, Brit etc. This is predominantly because they were not used in a discriminatory way.

Of partial note, those terms are not considered offensive in the UK,
And they have a word that is considered highly offensive over here and for them it is everything from a loving term of endearment to a condemnation of they way some one is behaving, but regardless of how they use it it does not have the same stigma that we apply to it

Please understand that this is an explanation and not a defense of the words being "wrong" so don't bother arguing with me about it :)

They are considered "wrong" because of the way they were used, as a form of demeaning and dehumanizing a group of people based only on a common trait, in this case a country of origin and in that way they are in fact both like the "N" word

That's it. It isn't a really complex concept and the truth is things can be 'historical' and offensive at the same time

ETA: A good example of this concept would be the word "Boomer" which started out describing a group of people based on their birthday and recently was transformed into a demeaning term for a group of people out of touch with reality, also based on their birthday
Good point(s), no argument from me. Kinda like being referred to as "Mick"..

Last Edited:

ETA: A good example of this concept would be the word "Boomer" which started out describing a group of people based on their birthday and recently was transformed into a demeaning term for a group of people out of touch with reality, also based on their birthday
Very well said. 👍

It's simply the intent. Not to offend any American's but there is an incredibly rich history in America of assigning nicknames for other ethnicities/cultures intended as derogatoriness to demean others. Jap, Nip, Chink, Sp*c, Pol, Limey, Mick, N-****, to name a few. Many times accompanied by a profanity such that even when the profanity is absent, the implied "Flocking Jap", "D*mn bubblegum", "Limey B*stard", etc is what people actually "hear".

"Yankee" seems a bit different since it originated in America among it's own people and still, to many, not considered a derogatory even though many countries in history used it that way. I mean.... NY Yankees? You can't go to Japan and watch the Tokyo Nip's playing on baseball night.:D

Edit: Funny note. Of all those derogatory's, "Sp*c" was the only one the forum filter "bubblegummed". ;)

It's simply the intent. . . . is what people actually "hear".
That's about how I would expect a Boomer to see things *

Now, what was my intent when I used the word "Boomer"? Was I acknowledging a generational difference in understand based on changing experiences and insightfulness that mostly come from experience and time, or was I being dismissive and rolling my eyes at how out of touch and clueless a particular generation is?

I'm given to understand that in some tonal based languages you can use the same 'word' but change the tone or inflection to indicate a change in context, but barring that it's unfortunate that humans don't change color or something when our intent changes.

Overall I agree with you, it will be interesting to see (if I live long enough) how the people born in 2030 - 2050 react to the things their Gen Z and Gen Alpha parents do and say
:s0093:

* No Boomers were actually insulted in the making of this post, if you suspect you or a Boomer you love are being victimized by this word you may be entitled to help from Ronnie Johns / harden up
NOTE: Search for that at your own peril, it is NSFW :cool:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews