JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I doubt it. Don't really have the popularity and reputation of the Mosin, or even the Enfield. Rightly or wrongly, they will remain a 2nd tier milsurp.
Perhaps true, but even 2nd tier milsurps can appreciate considerately. For example the Nagant revolver is pretty analogous to the Carcano: a firearm with a mixed reputation and very limited ammo options... but they too went from being under $100 to several hundred.

But on the other hand there's more "hype" (for lack of a better term) for Russian WW2 stuff than Italian, and that does make a difference.

For a long time people regarded the Mosin as "junk". It wasn't until they dried up and the Big-5 specials were gone that prices shot up.

All it takes is one (1) video game or movie to drive up demand.

Last Edited:
For a long time people regarded the Mosin as "junk". It wasn't until they dried up and the Big-5 specials were gone that prices shot up.

All it takes is one (1) video game or movie to drive up demand.
Some people still call them junk. Not me; I like them for what they are, but I've ran into plenty of gun snobs who hate them for whatever reason, "garbage rod" and all that.

It reminds me of back in the '90s when SKSs were considered junk rifles by many. You could buy them for $50 to $100 back then, and there were so many you wouldn't have thought they'd ever go for more.

Some people still call them junk. Not me; I like them for what they are, but I've ran into plenty of gun snobs who hate them for whatever reason, "garbage rod" and all that.

It reminds me of back in the '90s when SKSs were considered junk rifles by many. You could buy them for $50 to $100 back then, and there were so many you wouldn't have thought they'd ever go for more.
I traded 2 Big 5 Mosins ($79 ea) and 2 ratty SKSs ($150 ea) for an SVT 40 a few years back :);):cool: PAX

Does a Custom 1909 Argentine Mauser by JK Cloward count?
A6d2VV.jpg

Not a ww1 or ww2 rifle, but made during the inter-war period and used during the Spanish Civil War which is close enough.

WZ-29 mauser, made in Poland during the late 1930s for export as military aid to Spanish Communists. Rifle was scrubbed of all Polish markings, and stamped with a Z in a circle on the receiver.

These were used very heavily and later captured by the Spanish Nationalists, with most of them being stripped down and made into spanish m43 and m44 rifles. The remainder were refurbished and then imported to the US in the 1950s, with mine only being stamped "8MM" on the barrel.

I picked it up from another member on this forum, still filled with cosmoline. Matching numbers, in beautiful shape with a bright bore. I just love the way it looks

SCW_WZ29.jpg

Not a ww1 or ww2 rifle, but made during the inter-war period and used during the Spanish Civil War which is close enough.

WZ-29 mauser, made in Poland during the late 1930s for export as military aid to Spanish Communists. Rifle was scrubbed of all Polish markings, and stamped with a Z in a circle on the receiver.

These were used very heavily and later captured by the Spanish Nationalists, with most of them being stripped down and made into spanish m43 and m44 rifles. The remainder were refurbished and then imported to the US in the 1950s, with mine only being stamped "8MM" on the barrel.

I picked it up from another member on this forum, still filled with cosmoline. Matching numbers, in beautiful shape with a bright bore. I just love the way it looks

View attachment 1152979

Mine is further up in the thread. Also a SCW example, with the correct two piece spliced stock and dowel reinforcements in the handguards. Unfortunately, it has a Vz-24 bolt, which curiously is number matched, either by the Spanish, or by Bubba over here.

1647287214812.png
1647287227761.png

Mine is further up in the thread. Also a SCW example, with the correct two piece spliced stock and dowel reinforcements in the handguards. Unfortunately, it has a Vz-24 bolt, which curiously is number matched, either by the Spanish, or by Bubba over here.

View attachment 1154307
View attachment 1154308
Beautiful! I really enjoy the aesthetic of these rifles. I'd assume bolts were forced matched during spanish refurbishment, as mine is too.
I'm not sure what origin my bolt is. There are multiple pairs of serial numbers between the small parts, a circle Z on the bolt shroud, and these marks on the bolt handle itself pictured below.

20220314_143325.jpg

Beautiful! I really enjoy the aesthetic of these rifles. I'd assume bolts were forced matched during spanish refurbishment, as mine is too.
I'm not sure what origin my bolt is. There are multiple pairs of serial numbers between the small parts, a circle Z on the bolt shroud, and these marks on the bolt handle itself pictured below.

View attachment 1154391
Post it on military mauser forum on Gunboards, to see where that bolt came from. WZ-29 bolts were straight and in the white. Supposedly there was also a cavalry version, bent bolt with checkered ball, but that's debated. This is neither, so who knows... Circle Z could indicate Polish or Czech, but bolt body and shroud could come from different rifles, so there is no guarantee the bolt body is the same origin as the shroud.

Got a neat little rifle here. m/27rv marked to 4th Squadron Uusimaa Dragoon Regiment (Uudenmaan Rakuunarykmentti), rifle 39. Only ~2,200 were made, and 304 survived to be imported to the US.

20220317_181706.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top