JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know what this symbol on the bolt represents?

The rifle is an M1903 SAA WWII refurb. Receiver is Springfield Armory, 1918, bbl is dated 1942. Bolt is a swept back Remington (small "R" under the bolt).

I know these were provided to many nations under foreign assistance programs. But I couldn't find any info on CMP about this marking.

Many thanks in advance.

Springfield Bolt.jpg

Well Sirs, its been a while..so Howdy...:)

My best guess is perhaps a wee bit cynical &/ or Prophetic, but it Looks Like a Cross over some enemy's Grave..

No Worries... Gotta be a Keeper...

My daughter has an app on her phone where she can take a picture of things and it does a search for it.
So far, for the odd things she has found for me, seems eerily functional.
I don't own a cell phone so it's all an unnatural wonderment to me.
Maybe you can find an app like that to help.
I'd carve the picture down to just the Stamping though.
Good luck

I know the Greeks stamped a serial number in this area on their 1903s, so I didn't think it was a Greek return.

Its not quite the Free French logo either. It almost looks like a Chinese symbol. I know some 1903s were supplied to Chinese Nationalist Forces. Or maybe it just belonged to a kid on the church rifle team in the 1950s. Lol.

I've had this one for about 4 years now and am planning to keep it. I just noticed the unusual mark when I was playing with it the other day.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads