JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First , let me say , I am not trying to stir up any trouble with this post as it may offend some .....
Got this card in a box of misc. stuff at a garage sale . Were these cards common during WWII at stores in the USA ? Or something just this Drug Store made up ?
Any info on it would be great . THANKS Doug

DSC00029.JPG DSC00030.JPG

Looks like a gimmick by a department store to sell more ammo and try to recruit people to join the war effort.
The best guess is it is likely a bit collectible to the WW 2 buffs. Hopefully, someone else can chime in. You might want to also ask over on gunboards as there are a lot of old-timers over there.

Will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Looks like a gimmick by a department store to sell more ammo and try to recruit people to join the war effort.
The best guess is it is likely a bit collectible to the WW 2 buffs. Hopefully, someone else can chime in. You might want to also ask over on gunboards as there are a lot of old-timers over there.

Will be interesting to see what others have to say.
This.

Has nothing to do with ammunition....But, I am sure there is someone out there who would love to have an old advertisement for foot fungi treatment.
ui_stinkfoot2.png
ui_stinkfoot1.png

🤢🦶

Last Edited:
There was a ton of variations as part of a WWII propaganda campaign. They were commonly issued by bars or any number of different "clubs".

1700254449708.png 1700254483892.png

Because of the historical context I don't think they are offensive in the slightest... but will admit... "Jap" in the title did trigger me a hair before I clicked to see the historical relevance. ;)

I'm not offended if you aren't.... "Ameka round-eye!" 🤣

Last Edited:
There was a ton of variations as part of a WWII propaganda campaign. They were commonly issued by bars or any number of different "clubs".

View attachment 1764450View attachment 1764451

Because of the historical context I don't think they are offensive in the slightest... but will admit... "Jap" in the title did trigger me a hair before I clicked to see the historical relevance. ;)

Thanks for the info .... I am not looking to keep it . Can you tell me a value on these , if any ? THANKS Doug

Can you tell me a value on these , if any ? THANKS
Sorry... I would have absolutely no clue. Some people collect some really weird stuff, but the only thing I could say about a paper collectible would be that it's entirely based on rarity and condition.

Maybe take it into a couple historical document appraisers(?)

I'm not the right person to ask. I'm not offended by a forum post, but I wouldn't even wipe my butt with it. 🤣

Thanks for the info .... I am not looking to keep it . Can you tell me a value on these , if any ? THANKS Doug
Like with a fireartm. More what would someone be willing to pay for it.
Might look around on eBay, gunbroker, and some other auction sites and see if you can find one for sale or sold. that might give you a rough idea of what it could be worth.

This is a store flyer, so probably whatever an 80 year old store flyer might be worth to someone that might want it.

View attachment 1764450View attachment 1764451

Ahhh…. very funny muddah-pluckah… special wonton soup for YOU!

;) :D

What's wrong with "Jap" or "Nip"? Short for "Japanese" and "Nipponese", like "Yank" is a term for Americans. Both were in common use when/where I grew up post ww2. Not like either is the "N"-word. As to the "hunting licenses", USA was at war with Japan after a dastardly sneak attack on Pearl and other Pacific bases, the Bataan Death March, and the brutal war in China- it was the times. The IJA was a mean foe. I have pictures of Japanese atrocities in China, once printed in Life Magazine- perhaps those should be censored too, after all the Japanese gov't refuses to take responsibility for what their military did during the days of "The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere"... and the "Hakko Ichiu "- "all the world under one roof" policy.
I remember "Sat Cong death cards", too, and "Viet Cong" Hunting licenses, few took offense at those. It's history, guys, some folks need to grow up.
Again, I ask, what's "wrong" with the terms Jap or Nip?

Last Edited:
what's "wrong" with the terms Jap or Nip
Please understand that this is an explanation and not a defense of the words being "wrong" so don't bother arguing with me about it :)

They are considered "wrong" because of the way they were used, as a form of demeaning and dehumanizing a group of people based only on a common trait, in this case a country of origin and in that way they are in fact both like the "N" word

That's it. It isn't a really complex concept and the truth is things can be 'historical' and offensive at the same time

ETA: A good example of this concept would be the word "Boomer" which started out describing a group of people based on their birthday and recently was transformed into a demeaning term for a group of people out of touch with reality, also based on their birthday

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top