JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Someone needs help banging on the door screaming ask why they aren't carrying their own gun to protect themselves? If they're not carrying they probably don't want you to either. Let them deal with it themselves.

Something like this happened to me several months back.
2:30am girl beating on my door,
There was a guy standing behind her. She was yelling to let her her.
She got a gun in her face through the glass.

They left fairly quickly.

All I could think of was home invasion.

Everyone should invest in one of these.. Now, you can see the person who walks up to your door before they even ring the door bell, as the Ring systems have motion detectors. I also have Arlo cameras setup in my house and they can be concealed and put outside. They have a decent quality image, store videos on the cloud and have a good motion detection system built into each camera. Not knowing who is at your door should be a thing of the past. You can also use the speaker on the Ring doorbell to communicate with the person at your door without answering the door. I think it would be much more desirable talking to some strange looking person through a speaker than face-to-face. You can even set it up where you use your phone to talk to the person (using the Ring App) and you don't even have to be home. You literally can be in Kathmandu and tell the person at your door to get lost or you are calling the cops, have a big shotgun waiting for them if they try to come inside, etc.

Check these out
Video Doorbells and Security Cameras for Your Smartphone | Ring

Saw the interview with him this weekend. He said they knew he had a safe with his life savings in it and they beat the crap out of him to get him to open the safe.

Now, how did they know about the safe.

Something about the whole thing, up to and including the messed up interview he gave whilst beaten to a pulp, just seems off to me.

If nothing else, don't talk about your stuff to anyone. You get robbed by friends of friends after your friends shoot their mouths off about your stuff.
They probably blabbed on Bookfaceor some other flavor of social media about the safe. Or maybe Alexa heard them talking and posted it for them.

Ring is a great idea. First thing I will install when I move into my first home, followed by some good floodlights ,door armor, and an alarm.

I pickedup a Ring2 last year because it was advertised as being able to run off my existing doorbell wire. Nope. I bought a new door bell transformer to see if that would make it work, but I cannot find the existing transformer! I have looked every where except the attic. I am afraid that I will end up putting a foot down through the ceiling.

It is sad that it has come to this but unfortunately we have to take these things into consideration and answer our door with a pistol behind our back. If more people got a lead bonus trying something like this then less people would try it!

Nah, sorry, but stupid will out. Somebody always want easy cash and don't think about consequenses (the hallmark of criminality).

And I've been answering the door or keeping a weapon close at hand for almost 50yrs. Sorry to say that this is not a new thing... back in the late '50s, my parents friends answered a knock on the door and were kidnapped and put in the back of their car, driven to Arizona.

My sign doesn't seem to work or the people knocking on my door are ignorant of what it means.

Perhaps you don't have the RIGHT sign... :D

are-you-bullet-proof-no-trespassing-sign-k2-0566.png

i-own-firearms-backhoe-sign-k-0313.png

life-short-no-trespassing-sign-k-0215.png

0b35883b004889ddbf2209cf4a2f5f5a.jpg

I pickedup a Ring2 last year because it was advertised as being able to run off my existing doorbell wire. Nope. I bought a new door bell transformer to see if that would make it work, but I cannot find the existing transformer! I have looked every where except the attic. I am afraid that I will end up putting a foot down through the ceiling.

Mmmm, how old is house? Transformer is usually in a closet. Could be in the attic I suppose. In one with trusses there should be no worries about where to step, but I hate tramping down on good fluffy insulation!

Mmmm, how old is house? Transformer is usually in a closet. Could be in the attic I suppose. In one with trusses there should be no worries about where to step, but I hate tramping down on good fluffy insulation!

1928, no closet by the front door. I checked all other closets. The prior owners finished the walk-out basement in 1981 and added a doorbell for that entrance. It's transformer is in the closet next to the basement's exterior door.

My other option is to get a plug-in transformer and connect it to the wires leading to the main doorbell, by-passing the ringer in the hallway.

1928, no closet by the front door. I checked all other closets. The prior owners finished the walk-out basement in 1981 and added a doorbell for that entrance. It's transformer is in the closet next to the basement's exterior door.

My other option is to get a plug-in transformer and connect it to the wires leading to the main doorbell, by-passing the ringer in the hallway.

Hmmm, in vintage houses, doorbell transformers were near the fuse box or on the floor joists (not good in finished basement)

Hmmm, in vintage houses, doorbell transformers were near the fuse box or on the floor joists (not good in finished basement)

The main floor fuse box is on the rear exterior of the house. The prior owners put a second fuse box inside the basement when they finished it. Two electrical meters for the house.

Should be somewhere near the original fuse box (bell wire is cheap to run from there to the door)... or since it's knob and tube could be in the attic near the door. (extra 110V wiring runs not being typical)

I'm trying to remember what I've seen in my home inspections and my older rentals. Might need to ask one of our sparkies here.

Edit: wiring at the front doorbell goes up or down? Gotta catch some shuteye... will look for your follow up on this. Best wishes!

Last Edited:

If you have to go up there, take a couple of boards with you - I just keep a few cut pieces of 1/2" to 5/8" plywood, maybe 1' wide x 4'-6' long and lay them over the rafters so I have a flat space to walk on without fear of missing a rafter and punching through the ceiling (something my mother did when I was a kid).

As for the transformers, I'm not a resi guy, but have done work in residential settings from time to time - they can be just about anywhere depending on who wired the house. I've seen them on the wall near the electrical panel, near the furnace, behind doors, near the doorbell itself. It needs an electrical source, so the tendency, I've found, is to keep them close to an electrical source already used for some other purpose. The attic would be an odd place for it, but not impossible.

If you don't mind flipping breakers (or pulling fuses, if that's the case), one idea is to kill your breakers, one at a time and find the one that kills power to your doorbell. Once you have that circuit identified, look at what else around it is off - receptacles, lights, etc. It should at least isolate the general location in the house where it's installed so you can eliminate the other areas of your house for the search. As I said, it's likely tapped into an existing circuit rather than having a dedicated circuit and each circuit will, in most cases, be limited to a certain area of the house - maybe 1-3 rooms worth of wiring max.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top