JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is why we installed a security door. The wife can see who is on the other side and still be safe. Unfortunately she would open it to a frantic woman to "save her", but we are working on that natural response for a safer alternative (Leaving her outside and telling her you are calling 911 for her).

Their woes are not my problem, Ill call the police or an ambulance.. but after dark.. a pizza order is the only thing that gets me to open my door.

So if they are going to break in, they better have a jumbo sized pizza and a dire hopefulness to get tipped in lead.

Yikes!

Minimal reporting leaves me a little suspicious though. Home invasions are moderately rare, so IMO he was likely targeted. How? Dunno, due to the limited reporting, or lack of statements on his part.

Possible it was an unarmed home invasion, given the amount of meth head Sallies and Bob's around.

Anyways, it's a good idea if one chooses to carry, to always carry. Even in the home. In our case, one of us is often home during the day, when standard break ins are more likely to occur (in our area).

We also have a rather nice "no soliciting" sign blatantly visible, so that has cut down on 90% of the scam artist folk, knocking just to see when folk are home or asking for hand outs.

Multi-layered security is also super handy. Security outer door, alarm system, cameras. We do not do the yard sign "protected by "x" ", though.

Our neighbors know that girlscout cookies & team fund raisers are perfectly fine. It's been a long long time since the meth heads have come around asking for a fake donation...since we put up the sign actually.

I too would NOT answer the door for something like this unless I had a gun at hand. This ploy (assuming this really happened) is not something new. I have heard of this being done as long as I have been alive. Not real common but it has happened. If Wife was here and I was at work she would tell them she is calling 911 and leave door closed. Not to mention we also have cameras that would show us if there were others out there. Then there is always the "this may be not what happened". Guy may very well have invited trouble in and now is trying to cover it up. Who knows. Still a good warning to people about a knock on the door.

Saw the interview with him this weekend. He said they knew he had a safe with his life savings in it and they beat the crap out of him to get him to open the safe.

Now, how did they know about the safe.

Something about the whole thing, up to and including the messed up interview he gave whilst beaten to a pulp, just seems off to me.

If nothing else, don't talk about your stuff to anyone. You get robbed by friends of friends after your friends shoot their mouths off about your stuff.

Yikes!

Minimal reporting leaves me a little suspicious though. Home invasions are moderately rare, so IMO he was likely targeted. How? Dunno, due to the limited reporting, or lack of statements on his part.

Possible it was an unarmed home invasion, given the amount of meth head Sallies and Bob's around.

Anyways, it's a good idea if one chooses to carry, to always carry. Even in the home. In our case, one of us is often home during the day, when standard break ins are more likely to occur (in our area).

We also have a rather nice "no soliciting" sign blatantly visible, so that has cut down on 90% of the scam artist folk, knocking just to see when folk are home or asking for hand outs.

Multi-layered security is also super handy. Security outer door, alarm system, cameras. We do not do the yard sign "protected by "x" ", though.

Our neighbors know that girlscout cookies & team fund raisers are perfectly fine. It's been a long long time since the meth heads have come around asking for a fake donation...since we put up the sign actually.

I should put up a damn sign, keep telling myself that and for some reason never do. Have always worked nights so do not appreciate people waking me up for crap. Does not seem to happen as much these days. Years ago place I had my bedroom window was the front porch. Had window open, could hear a couple women talking and walk up and knock. I was ignoring them as I had worked the night. They just would not stop. I could hear one saying to the other "surely someone must be here" as they kept knocking. Finally I get up answer door in my boxers and it's two trying to sell me their "god" with stuff in their hands. The look on my face had one saying "oh did we wake you?". Well...............as she is holding out some literature. I let loose with some profanity and slammed the door. Must have got me on some "do not knock list" as I never had them come again :)

Saw the interview with him this weekend. He said they knew he had a safe with his life savings in it and they beat the crap out of him to get him to open the safe.

Now, how did they know about the safe.

Something about the whole thing, up to and including the messed up interview he gave whilst beaten to a pulp, just seems off to me.

If nothing else, don't talk about your stuff to anyone. You get robbed by friends of friends after your friends shoot their mouths off about your stuff.

Well now this makes things MUCH different. Sounds like he either invited them in or at best ran his mouth to the wrong person.

I should put up a damn sign, keep telling myself that and for some reason never do. Have always worked nights so do not appreciate people waking me up for crap. Does not seem to happen as much these days. Years ago place I had my bedroom window was the front porch. Had window open, could hear a couple women talking and walk up and knock. I was ignoring them as I had worked the night. They just would not stop. I could hear one saying to the other "surely someone must be here" as they kept knocking. Finally I get up answer door in my boxers and it's two trying to sell me their "god" with stuff in their hands. The look on my face had one saying "oh did we wake you?". Well...............as she is holding out some literature. I let loose with some profanity and slammed the door. Must have got me on some "do not knock list" as I never had them come again :)

Sign has cut down a bunch on the "God" folks, just by looking at video. Most see the sign half way up the walk and turn about. Some will leave there pamphlet without ringing the bell knocking. Others are a bit more perstant and knock/ring, which quite rude, so they are treated with polite contempt.

Sadly, the sign has turned around the folk we do not mind helping out, so we do so voluntarily on our own. We honestly do not mind chatting with folks whom are out trying to get more folk interested in "the word", if they are polite, we're also extremely comfortable with our own religious views (so will not convert). Always happy to gift some bottled water and fruit to the LDS out and about, they have a very long day, and are doing good.

My sign doesn't seem to work or the people knocking on my door are ignorant of what it means.

Sometimes I'll just holler from the couch that I'm sick. That seems to work well.

Weekend before last I get someone pounding on the door at 10am, not full force but enough to aggravate me - must have bruised his knuckles knocking on doors I guess.

Happened again 15 seconds after the first set. I opened the door and didn't even have to say anything cuz my face was not happy. Church dude just did an about face and walked away.

I'm generally nice to those folk cuz why not but pounding on my door isn't welcome nor warrented.

Anything after dark and I have a gun between where I am and the door and it's in hand when I open the door. I've never had to not open the door and call the cops - no one crazy or fishy has knocked. I live in an ok neighborhood, not rich but no meth heads either.

When it started he should have dialed 911 to get the cops headed that way and stay connected. Armed himself if he was going to open the door with the shotgun they beat him with and held them at bay. I wouldn't have opened the door, I have a big picture window I look out to see who is at the front door before it's opened, daylight or dark. I would have called help for her but its her personal responibility to protect herself and if she chose not to then it's not my fault.

My daughter whom I love dearly carries a gun so she doesn't need to rely on others.

One day there was a knock on the door at our rural home. I answered, and was solicited by a member of a Christian sect that is known for this. He gave his pitch, and as he was talking I realized that there was a stack of books within reach that I had put there to return to a friend who had loaned them to me. They were the "Chariots of the Gods" series.

As he finished, I picked up the books and said "You know, I was just thinking of this. In this book it proves that Jesus was an alien spaceman who visited Earth. Why don't you take them with you and study them?"

He backed away and we have never been visited again! ;)

Like others have stated, something in the story seems off. This is another reason I don't live among the zoo animals in the city. Moved my family out into the rural bliss several years ago. We have 4-5 neighbors all at the end of a dead-end road, 2-3 times in the last 5 years I've made contact with folks that I've never seen and had my neighbors do the same. We look out for each other, we talk to each other and respect each other's privacy. Country living rocks...

I've honestly been tempted to answer the door buck-azzed naked, gun in hand before. I guarantee they'd never come back ;)

After dark, no answering of the door unless I'm expecting someone. Knock on my door at 3am asking for help and you will be met with the barrel of a gun in your face. Where we live, no one just casually walks by. You have to want to be there to get to our house. So I can pretty easily assume it's not a good thing that late at night.

I've honestly been tempted to answer the door buck-azzed naked, gun in hand before. I guarantee they'd never come back ;)

After dark, no answering of the door unless I'm expecting someone. Knock on my door at 3am asking for help and you will be met with the barrel of a gun in your face. Where we live, no one just casually walks by. You have to want to be there to get to our house. So I can pretty easily assume it's not a good thing that late at night.

For god sake man!!! That is not a image I want! :s0170:

I feel for the guy to be honest with you all! He is a decent person trying to do the right thing. It is sad that it has come to this but unfortunately we have to take these things into consideration and answer our door with a pistol behind our back. If more people got a lead bonus trying something like this then less people would try it!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews