JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here carry this in their pocket? Or, tried to, but it was too heavy? How did it work out for you? I'm deciding between the P938 and P238.

Background: I've pretty much decided to get either a P938 or P238 for concealed carry. I'm new to CCW and guns generally, but am very comfortable with the 1911 operation. And I'm really confident shooting these. I'm thinking that starting off with pocket carry with a DeSantis pocket holster will be an easier transition to the CCW lifestyle because I won't immediately need to change my wardrobe, etc. I can then take the time to learn about and try all the variety of other carry options.

It depends on what kind of pants you wear. I prefer the Wrangler 20X because the fit well, but also the watch pocket on the RH side is big enough to loosely hold a Glock 43, 42 and the P938

I had a DeSantis Pocket-Tuk for a previously owned Colt Mustang. Not sure why, but the P-938 fit it perfectly and it pockets nicely with the belt clip removed and the 6 rd. mag in it.

There are times when it feels a just a little bulky depending on what I am wearing. If I can cover it I prefer OWB in an Askins style leather holster.

That said, I am drooling over the Kimber Micro 9. Same size, but IMO much better looking. Sig makes the slide with a very squared off profile for no other reason but to make it look like a Sig.

The heaviest gun I've ever pocket carried is a LCP. I'd think it be to heavy.
Yup, there are times I switch to an LCP. For that I use a Pocket-Tuk too, but with the belt clip, the round leather piece that holds the clip nut, and the top reinforcement all removed.

The gun and holster are so thin and light you hardly know it is there.

Unfortunately, shooting the LCP was a punishing experience for me. Much harder to get on target, and a little painful.
I agree, it's no range gun. I actually hate shooting it. That being said if I'm in a suit and tie, it's the only one I have that can be concealed.

I agree, it's no range gun. I actually hate shooting it. That being said if I'm in a suit and tie, it's the only one I have that can be concealed.

Would a P238 work? (At twice the price, of course.) Even though it's just a bit lighter and smaller than the P938, it feels like it's under some kind threshold which makes it feel different. I compared the two, putting them in my jeans pocket and moving around a little. I could really notice the difference.

Would a P238 work? (At twice the price, of course.) Even though it's just a bit lighter and smaller than the P938, it feels like it's under some kind threshold which makes it feel different. I compared the two, putting them in my jeans pocket and moving around a little. I could really notice the difference.
The P238 is 15.2 oz loaded, so yes it would work great. I've never shot it but I've heard it's a great gun.

Personally I would go with the 938 over the 238. Two reasons: First, a little more punch from a 9 over .380 for better penetration. Second, 9mm costs less to shoot = more practice rounds down range, not to mention more ammo selection.

I had a DeSantis Pocket-Tuk for a previously owned Colt Mustang. Not sure why, but the P-938 fit it perfectly and it pockets nicely with the belt clip removed and the 6 rd. mag in it.

There are times when it feels a just a little bulky depending on what I am wearing. If I can cover it I prefer OWB in an Askins style leather holster.

That said, I am drooling over the Kimber Micro 9. Same size, but IMO much better looking. Sig makes the slide with a very squared off profile for no other reason but to make it look like a Sig.
I just got a micro 9 great running gun. It's the LG model and the laser is spot on.

Just ordered a OWB from withrop.
Google for the vids. The 938 model works perfect.

And yes SIG mags work!

Oh also my gal has the 938....
With a ctc laser guard on the trigger.

I just prefer mine in the grips, plus I think the Micro 9 is just plain a better looking gun.
20161004_165854.jpg 20161004_165854.jpg

Last Edited:
I have pocket carried my p238 and fondled a 938 in comparison. I am not a huge pocket carry fan as the draw is much slower, and if you are sitting down, say in a car, the draw will be very difficult. I will say that the p238 is not horrible to pocket carry, and if you are determined, you should be able to pocket a 938. There will be a fair amount of bulk, but nobody will raise questions as to if there is a gun in your pocket.

Edit:
My father has a TCP (Taurus LCP) and that is significanlty more comfortable to pocket carry, however, the p238 is a very shoot-able gun that you could put a few hundred rounds through at the range. The tcp is not a fun, nor easy, gun to shoot and I would question its durability.

Ive had a 938 and pocket carried it for years. Its no problem at all unless you are a skinny jeans type of guy. For regular or relaxed fit pants its no problem. just get a good pocket holster and practice.

FWIW I carry the 938 IWB and use the DeSaints dual carry holster (has both IWB and OWB carry option in one holster) - it was labeled for the 238 and was a bit snug for a couple of days but after that fits great. I haven't tried pocket carry with it as I don't have a pocket holster for it.

I picked up a 938 a little bit ago and have been pocket carrying it with no problems. I use one of the desantis pocket holsters (can't remember the model name) and it works great, even when I'm wearing skinny jeans. When I'm wearing more form fitting pants I'll stick a little bit of material under the unsupported part of the holster (the big square flap that velcros onto the outside of the part that actually holds the gun) to ensure that the outline of the big thing in my pocket is square and not pistol shaped. Looks just like a wallet or a phone.
I don't find the weight to be bad at all, I hardly notice the gun is there once I cinch my belt up nice and tight.
I was a little leery about pocket carrying the 938 at first as I had read some internet horror stories about the safety disengaging on its own during the course of the day, but after doing a bit of research on the mechanics of the 3 separate safeties and how they work in tandem to fire a shot I carry it with confidence.
I really like the gun, I think it looks super nice and find it to be easy to shoot, recoil is totally manageable. I have bigger hands so the 938 is about as small as I want to go, otherwise I would have gone with the 238 since it would be even easier to conceal, obviously. I just prefer the way the bigger model fits my hands, and even though it is slightly larger, I have been able to hide it on my person very successfully.

I have both a 238 and 938. I carry the 938 with the extended mag in a Crossbreed Minituk IWB holster. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever used. My daughter has laid claim to the 238, it fits her hands better. I purchased the Sig Equinox because I liked the sights.

INhZQP2.jpg
FKoFn0n.jpg
This is my every day carry, P938 in custom Winthrop holsters. Sometimes I'll carry in my pocket in the Crimson Trace pocket holster that came with the laser. I wear shorts most of the time. Gonna have to wear my big boy pants now that summer is over.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads