JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like shooting random objects for sport. Mostly cans and sticks, and I actually try shooting sticks in half (I'll try it with a can next, thanks for the idea). It's pretty good exercise for target acquisition.
I don't really consider shooting animals to be plinking. I also wouldn't kill anything purely for fun. I might have fun doing it, but I'd be sure to get some sort of use from the corpse (tying flies gives me plenty of uses for animal remains).

I'm a plinker, I won't deny it! LoL
Sticks? Take out a 303 find a dead tree and knock branches. there was an overhanging dead tree at a fairly popular spot up where i go, watching 3"+ dead branches dropping to ground with the rifles echo through the mountains,
A breath of fresh air mixed with smell of gunpowder .. maybe not fun but definitely satisfaction:D

Plinking is a solid way to spend a day. My favorite shooting trips aren't the formal, large scale, full set up days when all my "Tacticool" buddies want to go shoot Ar's and glocks. My favorite are when I go up by myself with the 10/22 or my beloved CZ 527 7062x39 and blast away at clays or random rock pit junk.

Plinking to me means making every shot count... making sure that I can hit that little rock or pine cone at distance.... good practice for hunting....It is indeed , shooing with a purpose , at least for me.
Andy

I plink with precision: :D . When I said I plink with my AR, it's not spray and pray like you typically see those guys doing.... ;) I always make every shot count, to a certain extent. Why shoot, if that is not the ultimate goal? Well besides having fun, that's mostly what "plinking" is all about....

Sticks? Take out a 303 find a dead tree and knock branches. there was an overhanging dead tree at a fairly popular spot up where i go, watching 3"+ dead branches dropping to ground with the rifles echo through the mountains,
A breath of fresh air mixed with smell of gunpowder .. maybe not fun but definitely satisfaction:D
I only did that on private property as a kid, now I just play "the arrow game". ;)

Grew up on an apple farm backed by a huge hill outside of Wenatchee.
Winter time after all the leaves fall off the trees a few frozen apples left.
Great plinking fun. Shatter real good when hit with a 22.:rolleyes: The rest of the
year it was plinking at birds mostly starlings. They destroy the fruit.
Never been to a range until I was an adult. Nice thread Andy.:D

Yep, I admit it. I am a dedicated plinker. Got started when my son turned 12. Now he is 27 and plinking out in the woods is still something that we enjoy doing together. So, I guess I am a plinker for life. :)

Grew up on an apple farm backed by a huge hill outside of Wenatchee.
Winter time after all the leaves fall off the trees a few frozen apples left.
Great plinking fun. Shatter real good when hit with a 22.:rolleyes: The rest of the
year it was plinking at birds mostly starlings. They destroy the fruit.
Never been to a range until I was an adult. Nice thread Andy.:D
Starling make great hackle for little flies! ;)

So anyone else here enjoy plinking?
I find it fun and relaxing .... shooting at those little bits of left over clay birds , forgotten spent shotshells or odd colored rocks.

I have a Remington Model 33 that I put a Marbles "bullseye" rear sight on and of course noticed that I had to make a taller front sight....After zeroing it in I did the type of shooting mentioned above.
This rifle and "Plinking" seem to go hand and hand...It also is great practice for hunting.

If you have public land nearby , that allows shooting...I urge you to rediscover "The Joy of Plinking".:D
Just be sure to always have a good backstop and clean up afterwards.
Andy

False...

What kind of tomfoolery is this?

I must see a photo of said Model 33.

Last I knew I have one of two in existence, the other was at a gun shop that has closed down due to the owners death.

I bet mine has more character.... seriously, fantastic shooter even when there is almost no rifling left.

Here you go Andy.I found you a gun that you you can stay old school and still be TACTICOOL LOL.got red dot supresser and forend hand stop HEHEH images (2).jpg

I agree ... a little less "formal" than on a official range and can be a bit more fun / less intimidating to new shooters.
Plus with "reactive" targets ( cans , spent shells , rocks that "bust" , claybird parts etc...)
You can tell right away if you hit it or not ... that is a big thrill for new and experienced shooters alike.

I enjoy the "lets see if you can it that" and the easy going competitiveness / joshing that goes along with plinking.
Andy
I was thinking of you last week. It was the third Saturday in a row going out with my friends 9 year old. He is a slendid shot and getting very safe as well as competent at firearm handling. I tossed out the idea of black powder since he is very keen to spend his piggy bank on a shooter
I explained how a front stuffer must be cleaned in a timely manner. I have no faith that this would be accomplished. We have been plinking crackers. No clean up necessary. Also using metal targets. We have a self standing target for paper. Vinyl pill bottles filled with water are great since they don't shatter. Last week we were at 163 yards with 22lr. It is a CZ 452 with a 24X Weaver
and a 20 moa rail. Also checked zero on the 338
Next will be a bolt action .223 and AR15 slow fire. He shot the 38 snubby well

I shot branches off with 38 special handloads from my Smith and Wesson Model 15. Those same accurate low power loads were not too useful at 50 yards so now I have been increasing the charge to be more relevant for training with snubbies.

Grew up starting at 4 plinking and still love it too this day.

Much better for teaching new shooters then a range imo.

Was allowed my first BB gun at about 10, money of my own. For a long time they had trouble getting me to come in to eat. :) Pine cones, grass hoppers, a certain leaf on a tree, june bugs. Next time my Dad took me to shoot my .22 which I could only use with him present I shocked him. Was out shooting him badly. End of shooting he had old pair of sunglasses broken in half. Stuck half in old 3# can we had been punching holes in and emptied a load at it could not hit it. Let me try, first shot, all net :). He put the other half in and same thing, first round lens gone frame intact. After that all I had to do was say I wanted to shoot, and have ammo. He would send me off with my .22 on my own. Talk about inspiring a kid to find work. I became super good at finding work I could do to make some cash. Often wish my eye's were that good now. :)

Plinking is how I got into shooting. My uncle had a single shot bolt action something in.22. That's what I used 'till I got old enough to buy my first gun, a used Remington single shot .22. We'd go out in the summer pasture and find fresh "cow pies". We'd see how much we could make the chit fly. Started both my daughters out on .22's and they both enjoy shooting now as adults. Have done the same with a couple of grand kids as well. I still find enjoyment plinking.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top