JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So anyone else here enjoy plinking?
I find it fun and relaxing .... shooting at those little bits of left over clay birds , forgotten spent shotshells or odd colored rocks.

I have a Remington Model 33 that I put a Marbles "bullseye" rear sight on and of course noticed that I had to make a taller front sight....After zeroing it in I did the type of shooting mentioned above.
This rifle and "Plinking" seem to go hand and hand...It also is great practice for hunting.

If you have public land nearby , that allows shooting...I urge you to rediscover "The Joy of Plinking".:D
Just be sure to always have a good backstop and clean up afterwards.
Andy

I agree ... a little less "formal" than on a official range and can be a bit more fun / less intimidating to new shooters.
Plus with "reactive" targets ( cans , spent shells , rocks that "bust" , claybird parts etc...)
You can tell right away if you hit it or not ... that is a big thrill for new and experienced shooters alike.

I enjoy the "lets see if you can it that" and the easy going competitiveness / joshing that goes along with plinking.
Andy

I agree ... a little less "formal" than on a official range and can be a bit more fun / less intimidating to new shooters.
Plus with "reactive" targets ( cans , spent shells , rocks that "bust" , claybird parts etc...)
You can tell right away if you hit it or not ... that is a big thrill for new and experienced shooters alike.

I enjoy the "lets see if you can it that" and the easy going competitiveness / joshing that goes along with plinking.
Andy

Absolutely!

I do find that I shoot much less accurately, or maybe better said as purposefully missing, with new shooters.

Tends to help them feel more accomplished then me hitting everything I aim at on the first shot or hitting things well beyond their capability.

Plinking w/the kids is one of my all time favorite activities, just good clean fun! Seems like you end up spending a lot of time reloading those durn .22's though.......

I'm very fortunate that I can shoot at home, I take full advantage of it. You can't come to my place w/out seeing target stands all around the yard. I even pick up .22 brass (eventually) as it can hurt bare feet when running on the lawn. I think my bag of empties is pushing 5 pounds currently. I did slow down the shooting w/the extreme heat but not a lot :)

I haul more 22's out to the hills to " plink" leftovers 90% more than I shoot anything else. I can not count the times that I have headed out without bring targets, clays, etc. just to descover hours of entertainment using leftovers at the local backstop.

I grew up plinking - about the only type of shooting I did until I was an adult. Growing up there were plenty of spots nearby where us kids could take the .22 and shoot at just about anything we had available - including toys and even my old retainer. Now, finding a good public space that's relatively close and safe (free from tweakers, drunks or just unsafe people) has made it really difficult. So, I do my shooting at a range, where I'm limited to paper or steel. Still, I used to love shooting little things, and would love to do it some more. Our hope is that some day we'll move out just a bit further with enough land to set up at least a 100 yard range on my own property - then I can shoot whatever I want whenever I want.

I also plink with my Muzzle loaders ... Plinking shouldn't be relegated to just .22's ... try it with your hunting rifles.
Andy

True, but to me to be a plinker it needs to have really low recoil and report and use cheap ammo :) I still plink w/a BB gun sometimes though mine isn't very accurate, relatively speaking.

Muzzle loaders are still pretty cheap to shoot and easy on the recoil....Can hut well with 'em too.
Just putting out a plug for my favorite guns...:D
Andy

If I had one I'd probably do just that. I did spend some time in the pasture w/a friends one day, it was a lot of fun and you're right, you can tame the loads pretty well just by not putting much powder in it.

Hmm.....maybe I DO need to look at a ML a little more seriously

I should have mentioned I can get away with plinking in my yard with my quieter pellet guns - and the .22's can hit pretty hard, so they are fun to shoot. I also 'plink' with my slingshots, also a lot of fun, and I'm setting up and area to do some archery with my daughter - I've got a fairly new recurve and she's got a fun junior bow - and she's a good shot with it.

One fun slingshot exercise (or pellet gun) is can cutting - take a soda can at say 10 yards and see how many shots it takes to cut it in half.

My Hawken with my regular load of 80 grains does not kick all that hard ...and its the load I use for everything , from cans and rocks to deer , elk etc ...
With only one load I do not have to guess as much or remember to hold a certain way for a certain range or target.
Andy
you can tame the loads pretty well just by not putting much powder in it.

I also plink with my Muzzle loaders ... Plinking shouldn't be relegated to just .22's ... try it with your hunting rifles.
I agree completely - been doing it all my shooting life! Often times we get 'hung up' on group size - which can be important to prove loads or gun accuracy, quality and function but once 'grouping' is established its off the bench! In MY case I sometimes shoot better plinking than on paper for a variety of reasons - one is simply contrast of the sights to the target. Not everyone can shoot at the same target due to variances in eyesight. I need good contrast with scope sighted rifles - and actually shoot better with open irons (which is a good thing since that is what I shoot the most!) I beat myself up on paper trying to get the tightest group - but then every pine cone within 25 yards is sent flying with my 2" mod 60! People who shoot only on a range fail to think about random targets in the woods are usually larger than the group they are trying to accomplish on paper. Therefore when plinking it can a little more forgiving due to target size and make on feel better about their shooting abilities! Bottom line - prove the gun and load on paper but then get out plinking - where it REALLY matters!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top