JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you guys enjoy going off grid for camping (in the middle of nowhere) and enjoy plinking at the same time?

Jeep 1.jpg Jeep 2.jpg Jeep fire.jpg

If you consider a Subaru Forester, stock, a small tent, and Tillamook State Forest's many random roads, with a bit of plinking, overlanding...

Then yes.

Any of you guys enjoy going off grid for camping (in the middle of nowhere) and enjoy plinking at the same time?
Been doing this nearly all my life!
Is this a new discovery for you?
I mean camping 'off grid' and shooting are synonymous !

Last Edited:
Up until a few years ago a group of us would head to a spot on New Years Eve and circle our RV's,
set up targets and with generator lighting shoot until midnight, then pack up the guns and 'herald' the New Year at the campfire!
This is a pic of a friend of mine shooting his 1911 at the last outing.
100_0779.jpg

Yep. I have a group of friends and we like to go up in the hills above Sisters. Camp, eat good, shoot, and drink. (drink after shooting, not before or during)

Where are you in the photos, Alvord Desert?
I always bring a gun when camping, whether car camping or remote. Shooting in the deep wilderness is fun.
I don't consider car camping "off grid" in any sense. My 'off grid' consists of driving a FS road until it ends and then hiking in for 4-8 hours.
My GF once beotched that my pistol and ammo added 8lbs to my pack. I retorted, "you ain't carrying it, so what's the beef here?"

Much of my plinking was combined with hiking or camping. That's partly how I ended up being a .357 and .44 revolver person. If I took just one gun, it had to be one of those, as it needed to be a good woods gun capable of handling everything from black bears or bad humans to an empty pot that needed a rabbit in it. But it above all needed to be accurate and enjoyable to shoot so I could plink with it while hiking and camping. If I took two guns, one was a .357 or .44 revolver that was carried concealed and loaded. The other was a good .22 target pistol, often carried in my pack with a brick of ammo. But ultimately I lost interest in the .22s. Preferred carrying more .357 or .44 ammo instead of second gun.

I think what you can do on the first shot matters way more than the rest of the practice session. Plinking while hiking gives you an opportunity for lots of first shots.

Just make sure of your Backstop! No matter where you are going. I've enjoyed doing this type of thing for many years but my health isn't allow ing me to do it currently.

Just make sure of your Backstop! No matter where you are going. I've enjoyed doing this type of thing for many years but my health isn't allow ing me to do it currently.
Yeah. For this sort of shooting the backstop was always the limiting factor.

I usually do day trips and only really camp for fishing, which is a hard thing to do while "overlanding"... i think the best places for all of the above are on the far East side of the state.

I spent a good chunk of my 20s (post-USMC, pre-wife/kids) running around the central AZ Sonoran Desert looking for ghost towns, gold, and water in my ancient IH Scout ll and later my equally ancient Ramcharger... back then (90s) we didn't know about off-grid or "overlanding", it just was what it was. When I say "we", I mean me... no internet forums to share and I never actually saw another person on my "walkabouts", I just assume that I wasn't the only one.

Dang, that was satisfying. I use that word as opposed to "fun" because it was hard, hot WORK stomping around in 110°+ heat, very few (if any) provisions and dehydration/exposure risks not to mention poisonous critters, plants, and the risk of a catastrophic fall... coming back alive was it's own reward. No cell phones or GPS, just USGS topo maps and a "Russian Space Pen" (aka, "pencil") to mark found water sources and where I left my truck. It's where I learned how to gut a rattlesnake so that the meat is edible and skin is resale-able. Also that jackrabbits are NOT food for humans, and that single coyotes will not mess w a human... if they pack-up you might have an issue that needs to be addressed... they seem to be fond of Cheez-lts (that's it's own story).

Boonie-camping has risks, but I'm all in and have been (sort-of) making my truck into an "Overlanding" vehicle capable of taking me where I want to go... looking back on it, it seems like a semi-buried part of my past that I've been trying to replicate for decades without even realizing it.

Thank you for starting this thread... it actually breathed (brothe?) some new fire into a smoldering passion I have.

Bonus Tip: Johnny's (no affiliation) seasoning salt can make almost anything edible, from paddle cactus to rattlesnake. If you can spare the water, ramen noodles help. Also, you can actually get water from certain cacti, that's no myth. But you're actually better served w a piece of clear plastic, a canteen cup, and an e-tool. In the weeds, I get it. Just bring water.

Last Edited:
I spent a good chunk of my 20s (post-USMC, pre-wife/kids) running around the central AZ Sonoran Desert looking for ghost towns, gold, and water in my ancient IH Scout ll and later my equally ancient Ramcharger... back then (90s) we didn't know about off-grid or "overlanding", it just was what it was.

Dang, that was satisfying. I use that word as opposed to "fun" because it was hard, hot WORK stomping around in 110°+ heat, very few (if any) provisions and dehydration/exposure risks not to mention poisonous critters, plants, and the risk of a catastrophic fall... coming back alive was it's own reward. No cell phones or GPS, just USGS topo maps and a "Russian Space Pen" (aka, "pencil") to mark found water sources and where I left my truck. It's where I learned how to gut a rattlesnake so that the meat is edible and skin is resale-able. Also that jackrabbits are NOT food for humans, and that single coyotes will not mess w a human... if they pack-up you might have an issue that needs to be addressed... they seem to be fond of Cheez-lts (that's it's own story).

Boonie-camping has risks, but I'm all in and have been (sort-of) making my truck into an "Overlanding" vehicle capable of taking me where I want to go... looking back on it, it seems like a semi-buried part of my past that I've been trying to replicate for decades without even realizing it.

Thank you for starting this thread... it actually breathed (brothe?) some new fire into a smoldering passion I have.
I have been doing the same thing off and on over the years, though with the Wife, its still not as much of an adventure as it once was!
We went through the whole "Go Lite" phase both in the Mil and when home on leave with the boys, and that in it's self was quite a learning experience! With the Airplane, its a real fun challenge, but a lot of fun none the less! Now that i'm retired, the bug is back, and I have been saving a rig to build just for this new chapter, a very rare Dodge WC-22 PowerWagon half cab truck which I plan to do up Desert style reminiscent to the WW-II Canadian built GMC trucks the Desert Rats used! Extra water, extra fuel, tools and tires and a WC trailer to go along with it! Would make the perfect bug rig as well, so it's going to be set up for that as well!
1567886242520.png

I spent a good chunk of my 20s (post-USMC, pre-wife/kids) running around the central AZ Sonoran Desert looking for ghost towns, gold, and water in my ancient IH Scout ll and later my equally ancient Ramcharger... back then (90s) we didn't know about off-grid or "overlanding", it just was what it was. When I say "we", I mean me... no internet forums to share and I never actually saw another person on my "walkabouts", I just assume that I wasn't the only one.

Bonus Tip: Johnny's (no affiliation) seasoning salt can make almost anything edible, from paddle cactus to rattlesnake. If you can spare the water, ramen noodles help. Also, you can actually get water from certain cacti, that's no myth. But you're actually better served w a piece of clear plastic, a canteen cup, and an e-tool. In the weeds, I get it. Just bring water.
We had a Scout I in the crew when I was in the Northeast US chasing white tail.
4-banger....very slow on the highway.
It looked to me like IH copied the early CJ running gear.
A solid rig.

DD's 4WD experience...

1950 Willys Wagon L-Head 4cyl
1968 Jeepster Commando Buick V6
1957 CJ5 F-Head 4cyl (later converted to 302 [5 Liter] Ford)
1962 Willy Wagon 327 Chevy power
1985 Cherokee V6
2009 Taco 2.7 5 speed

Listening to the steady "whine" of a two-speed transfer case in Low Range is a Rite of Passage.
I pity those that haven't heard it.

Last Edited:
I have been doing the same thing off and on over the years, though with the Wife, its still not as much of an adventure as it once was!
We went through the whole "Go Lite" phase both in the Mil and when home on leave with the boys, and that in it's self was quite a learning experience! With the Airplane, its a real fun challenge, but a lot of fun none the less! Now that i'm retired, the bug is back, and I have been saving a rig to build just for this new chapter, a very rare Dodge WC-22 PowerWagon half cab truck which I plan to do up Desert style reminiscent to the WW-II Canadian built GMC trucks the Desert Rats used! Extra water, extra fuel, tools and tires and a WC trailer to go along with it! Would make the perfect bug rig as well, so it's going to be set up for that as well!
View attachment 615168
I LOVE those flat-fendered PWs (who doesn't?). I had a chance to buy one several yrs ago ($2500!) but had to back-out because I know me... resto parts, obsolete flathead, cost, etc. Poor critter would have been yard-art at best.

I do know of a cat who has a few of them, a couple of trucks and a certified Korean War ambulance that he is restoring, albeit slowly due to the expense of replacement parts.

I admire your dedication. :s0094:

Cummins power, fixes all your problems! Lol
Actually, power wagon parts are really easy to find, just have to ask the right questions.
Other then some model speciffic parts, its all available still!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top