JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's still good fun, you just need to get you're kid on. If it was fun when you were a kid, be a kid again :)

I know about your anti .22 slant, just saying......

Hah! I'm not anti .22 at all. I just don't own one, but do own a .22 WMR.

^^^

That's like a friend of mine. He's really lousy on paper and is happy w/3" @ 100 yds w/at least 3 of 5 shots w/his '-06. Even shooting at deer if it takes to long getting a sight picture on an animal he'll miss the 1st shot. However if it's running or he has to make a snap shot it's a dead deer. We have a joke in deer camp that he needs to send one at the deer to get it moving so he can hit it.

Started off plinking at 4, just like another commenter mentioned. Had a Chipmuk .22 (Oregon) that has now gone on to be my kids' first rifle as they come up.

I eventually inhereted my dad's Anchutz 1418 manlicher. May be my favorite gun to shoot for many reasons, and nothing beats a nice long day of plinking in the woods with it.

I've been plinking with my kids lately. I can't wait until they can fire, reload, and unload to a habit that I'm comfortable with. They sometimes think I'm nagging but, I know it will pay off in dividends of fun later.

Muzzle loaders are still pretty cheap to shoot and easy on the recoil....Can hunt well with 'em too.
Just putting out a plug for my favorite guns...:D
Andy

I plink with my cap & ball revolvers. Just have to be sure there no airspace between the ball and the powder by using filler or wads. I have also been thinking of getting the Kirst .22 conversion cylinder. It will apparently work with 1851, 1861 and 1860 revolvers. A little bit spendy, has anyone tried one?

I have also been thinking of getting the Kirst .22 conversion cylinder.
I too shoot a C & B revolver (older 1851 CVA Navy) and really would never consider a conversion kit for it. I feel the gun should be shot the way it was intended. A conversion kit seems a little odd to me - get a replica C&B gun and convert it to a modern cartridge when there are 100s of 'modern' guns that will most likely shoot much better? It simply does not make sense to me. Shoot the C&B revolver as is and when you feel like it shoot your modern centerfires (or rimfires)

So anyone else here enjoy plinking?

Indeed I do. And it is so good to finally be able to find .22 cartridges on the shelf again. One of my favorite plinkers these days is a suppressed 10/22 running subsonic loads. It is a delight to shoot:

1022CanFan.jpg

Beyond that, I enjoy plinking with other rifles and handguns. While, perhaps, not technically plinking, informal clay busting (aka "pasture clays") can be a lot of fun. :)

So anyone else here enjoy plinking? ...

I go to a formal range (roof, benches, target boards, no more than one shot per second, all that jazz) when I'm doing load development or setting up a new scope. I go a gravel pit off a logging road that is designated by WA as a shooting range when I want to have fun. :D I bring a can of fluorescent orange paint if there aren't enough clay pigeon fragments to shoot at.

Plinking with replica revolvers is indeed a blast! I always just went ahead and shot full power loads!
One of my best tales is taking a co-worker to my range so I could show him the shooting ropes and how to operate his new .380. We had a tiny Snappy Tom can that we put just short of the 100yd line. My friend emptied a magazine at it and missed well. I, then, picked up my .36 Remington replica, got into my most "swishie" 1800's stance, snapped off a round and it seemed a couple of minutes later knocked the can down! THWACK!!!
Now this was blind luck or an act of God, I didn't have much to do with it! Thank you, Neuby shooter's, next day at work Dirk had told anyone who would listen that I was a cross between Doc Halliday and Bat Masterson! Suddenly all that loose talk someone had been blabbing around, about what an amazing shot I was....VALIDATED BABY!!!
The best plinking I can remember, back in the old days, was shooting over dumps! Oh man, a million targets of opportunity, and rats! Now I hate rats and enjoy nothing so much as blowing ones lungs out of his hienie. Back then a lot of small municipalities had uncontrolled or minimally controlled dumps. So long as you didn't do something stupid or dangerous no one cared if you shot there. We would be dropped off at about 8am, by a parent. A camp table, lawn chairs, sand bags, food and drink, we'd be set for a long mornings Rodentragnorok! :D

So anyone else here enjoy plinking?
I find it fun and relaxing .... shooting at those little bits of left over clay birds , forgotten spent shotshells or odd colored rocks.

I have a Remington Model 33 that I put a Marbles "bullseye" rear sight on and of course noticed that I had to make a taller front sight....After zeroing it in I did the type of shooting mentioned above.
This rifle and "Plinking" seem to go hand and hand...It also is great practice for hunting.

If you have public land nearby , that allows shooting...I urge you to rediscover "The Joy of Plinking".:D
Just be sure to always have a good backstop and clean up afterwards.
Andy

I love plinking. I just plinked away 240 rounds the other day in my new AR.

Plinking to me means making every shot count... making sure that I can hit that little rock or pine cone at distance.... good practice for hunting....It is indeed , shooing with a purpose , at least for me.
Andy

Last Edited:
Ive never gone to an official gun range, ever since i was young we always have gone up in the mountains past cougar to a variety of ever dwindling spots. The abundance of shotgun shells has always covered the #hit we forgot our targets days. Plinking is the best relaxing "pass time"

We've got a nice little "formal" range out this way (dry side) that's rarely in use during the week. Go out there on a weekday, and you've pretty much got the place to yourself. I've got these little plastic gopher targets (gophers are 5.5") that are just the funnest things in the world to shoot:

9C3nO3.jpg

The farther out from the weight you hit them the longer they spin. We put a set up at 50 yards and another at 100 yards. When we get bored punching paper we see if can keep them spinning with our bolt action rimfire rifles. It always brings a big grin to my face.

Back in the 70's I used to take the 2 boys out shootin the 22's. We would just hike around and look for squirrels an stuff to shoot, even crows. There was a very different aura about firearms back then. Man have things changed.

I like shooting random objects for sport. Mostly cans and sticks, and I actually try shooting sticks in half (I'll try it with a can next, thanks for the idea). It's pretty good exercise for target acquisition.
I don't really consider shooting animals to be plinking. I also wouldn't kill anything purely for fun. I might have fun doing it, but I'd be sure to get some sort of use from the corpse (tying flies gives me plenty of uses for animal remains).

I'm a plinker, I won't deny it! LoL

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR