JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wife and me took a grand daughter and her Savage Rascal out to the range for plinking today; shoots very-very well for a 7 Y/O.

Martian and Robot targets are a favorite! The gong, balloons, and plastic toys always makes them smile and laugh.

Each grandchild gets a Rascal on their 7th birthday; 3 more to buy.

Wife and me took a grand daughter and her Savage Rascal out to the range for plinking today; shoots very-very well for a 7 Y/O.

Martian and Robot targets are a favorite! The gong, balloons, and plastic toys always makes them smile and laugh.

Each grandchild gets a Rascal on their 7th birthday; 3 more to buy.
Awesome

I agree ... a little less "formal" than on a official range and can be a bit more fun / less intimidating to new shooters.
Plus with "reactive" targets ( cans , spent shells , rocks that "bust" , claybird parts etc...)
You can tell right away if you hit it or not ... that is a big thrill for new and experienced shooters alike.

I enjoy the "lets see if you can it that" and the easy going competitiveness / joshing that goes along with plinking.
Andy
Necco Wafers and lifesavers candies are a challenge, and no clean up, the ants eat them. LOL
All sorts of ways to set them up. Use your imagination.
Gabby

An idea, especially for kids, ice. Get some dixie cups, or many different molds - jello, cake, cookie
add some food die to water and freeze. Use some twine (natural fiber) as the "hook" - just freeze a loop or line in.

Nothing to clean up.

Make a stand if you need to - something simple from scraps. Heavy gauge wire, an A-frame, few 1x2s.

A 25foot line can be used too, so the target dances around. Not shooting the same spot each time.

The ice can usually take a few hits from a 22lr. and the dancing /moving can be great reinforcement for a childs attention span.

If you use some found junk - is soda cans, stuffed animals, etc. please, please pack out the waste. We are far more likely to get ban'd from the forests over garbage than for shooting.

Of course if you have some access, some 3in ro 4in pieces of scrap can be used as targets - again reactive so good reinforcement.

OR, goto the box store and spend a few $$.

I have used the biodegradable clays.
White Flyer Biodegradable Targets, Orange, 90pk - Walmart.com

Necco Wafers and lifesavers candies are a challenge, and no clean up, the ants eat them. LOL
All sorts of ways to set them up. Use your imagination.
Gabby

I've been on this old Blue ball for a lot of years now, and still enjoy plinking.
My pard and I try to go once week in the summer months and as often as the weather allows in the fall and winter. We have several areas we shoot on, and most are BLM.I'm not much on paper shooting as I get bored to easily. I like steel or just shot shells pieces of clays or such.We shoot with everything from 22's to 45/70. I love plinking with the 45/70 and trail boss loads.Very little recoil,but those big old cast bullets do a number on most targets.

If you like to compete try this.....start with a blank white sheet of paper (note book size) and try to hit as close to center as you can.Then draw two lines dissecting your hit. Now you have 4 equal parts if your perfect;) There will be one space slightly smaller than the rest. Next,try and hit center of that area.Dissect that area and shoot the smaller space. Do this until you hit a line with your shot.The least number of shots win.I think my record is 5 shots with a 22 rifle at around 30 yrds. It's more fun than staying home watching paint peel.

When I was little with a BB gun we used to shoot dog food set peice of dog food on a 2/4 and try to shoot it with are bb guns and pellet gun

My Son got me a red dot last weekend! He knew I was talking about getting one for the 1022, and like the good Son he is, he beat me too it!:D
Finally got some rain, and they dropped the fire danger to moderate, so my shooting pard and I got out to look for birds and do some target shooting .Didn't see a grouse, but it was great to do some plinking.I think I'm going to like this red dot.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews