JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A used Remington 510 , 511 or 512 are always nice options.
The later 580 series are a great bet as well.
The older Mossberg 42 series are very underrated where I live and are "sleepers" , as it were at many gunshows.
The Winchester 69 and 72 are very nice, as are the 67 and 68.
Andy

That just got me to thinking. Nothing wrong with the 10-22 but when it comes to .22 rifles in general, it's hard to name one that's not a worthy plinker.. brand new or 100 years old.
They're all good.

Are you looking just for a rifle? Semi-auto only or bolt? Pistols?

In semi-auto rifles, they've been well covered already, but I would add the Marlin Model 60 to the list, if you don't mind a tube-fed magazine.

If bolt-action is okay, I'd highly recommend the Ruger American Rimfire - bonus that it takes the same magazines as the 10/22.

Out of my all of my .22's, my Henery .22lr Lever action is the most fun and gets used a lot.

Shoots shorts, longs and LR's of any brand all day long.

Tube fed would be my only dislike - BUT there is a guy that makes speed loafers for tube fed guns on Amazon.

My Marlin 60 is also tube fed and is my 2nd favorite but I have shot a lot of stock 10/22's and IMO the Marlin is 100% good to go out of the box. (This is coming from a die hard Ruger fan) The 10/22 needs upgrades to shoot as well as a Marlin 60 BUT if you want to dump a lot of money into upgrades then the 10/22 will outshoot the $220 Marlin at around the $400 mark.

+1 on the Marlin 60 I was handed down one and it's an awesome rifle.

You really can't beat the 10/22 for fun, accuracy, cost, and versatility.
Yeah you can spend a silly amount of money on them, but having the mags to change out and customizing it can be fun.

I also have a pump action .22lr that I've had since I was 10 and shoots like a dream.

The 10/22's always left me cold for some reason. I like my Marlin 39M, it is classy. My son has a CZ452 that is also very nice.

These days I'd seriously consider a .17HMR over a .22LR, if I were just getting into it.

Browning SA.

Shoots great.
And looks better than any .22 should!
Hand engraved. With gold inlay. And burl walnut checkered stock.

Think you'd like to have one?
Good!
But your gona have to sit down for this part.

OK. Comfortable?

There $1200.;)

Ouch! :eek:

Last Edited:
My first rifle was a Marlin model 60 .22, it was a great choice in my opinion. The tube magazine made it easy to learn and load etc, the accuracy was on point. It was a great starter .22 and I still have it, I plan on giving it to my Son, like my Father did to me.

I had a standard 10/22 when I was younger, but it disappeared on me a number of years ago. I now have a 10/22 takedown Marine edition. Comes with a hard plastic case and a water resistant gasket. No place in the case for a scope, but I'm not really a scope fan anyway. Got it on a Palmetto State Armory sale recently, but they are currently out.

1_5_85.jpg

...BUT if you want to dump a lot of money into upgrades then the 10/22 will outshoot the $220 Marlin at around the $400 mark.

OK, elucidate, what is needed?

In a lever gun how about a Winchester 9422?
There out there on the used market. And besides being a fun gun. They are always going up in value.

Pricy. But for a young person it would make a lifelong heirloom.

Last Edited:
I have a few thoughts on a few that I like and have used...
Rifles:
AR7
AR15 with a 22lr upper
Rem 597
Mossberg 702
Pistols:
S&W22A
Ruger MKII

If you have a AR in .223/5.56 you can pick up a 22lr drop in kit for about $150 on sale from time to time. It's cheaper than getting a upper in 22lr but the groups you'll get are a lot larger.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top