JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Durecover is almost the same thing as what we have been using on the R/C planes, it's a poly film you glue on and heat shrink stretch! Verses the old system of fabric! That is a serious amount of time and effort, you have to glue it, tape it, stretch it, sew it or pin it, seal it, prime it north to south and then east to west, then paint a base coat, add what ever trim or multi color(s) and then finish it! Takes weeks to do it all, probably over 100+ hours worth and it's heavy! DuraCover comes in all sorts of colors and can even be primed and painted using most automotive type paints and finishes, so no more complex covering system is needed, and it's lighter as well!
custom_restoration1.jpg
I'm going for a Classic look like these! Simple, Tasteful, and NOT RED! LOL
Last 3 airplanes have all been Red or Red and White! I'm so done with Red!
supercub.jpg

Speaking of, I've been trying to find the following.. I saw it on a YouTube overlanding video a ways back.
A single burner that sits/is affixed to the top of a midsize propane tank. There are no hoses and it looks really handy and stout. It seems that overlanding outfits supply them in all ther rental rigs over in Africa..

Where are you in the photos, Alvord Desert?
I always bring a gun when camping, whether car camping or remote. Shooting in the deep wilderness is fun.
I don't consider car camping "off grid" in any sense. My 'off grid' consists of driving a FS road until it ends and then hiking in for 4-8 hours.
My GF once beotched that my pistol and ammo added 8lbs to my pack. I retorted, "you ain't carrying it, so what's the beef here?"

Yes, Alvord Desert. I don't shoot out there though, too many people and no decent backstop. I did some camping south of there in the hills. Good spot.

No this is not new to me.

Reason I ask is I'm looking for like minded people to expand my circle of friends.

Nate

Overlanding is what I do. Here is my oldest son (about to leave for college) and I three weeks ago in the Freemont Nat. Forest in SE Oregon. That camping spot you could not see another road, building or person anywhere.

The second photo is my kind of morning meeting. Coffee and a poptart reviewing the maps looking for the next out of the way route we were going to take that day.

We had dipped into CA so no NFA gear went with us. Just the G20 but of course in CA it was unloaded and locked in the back to keep US safe.

IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1642 4.jpg

Are you talking about something like this?.....

View attachment 615586

...but attached to a 20 lb. bottle?
I would think some extra plumbing from any hardware store would connect that burner (or any other of a similar type) to any 20 lb. bottle.
...HOWEVER...
I just found this Q&A on mounting a bottle top burner to a 20 lb. bottle - How to get a top-mount cooking burner for 20 lb propane tank?

Once you go JetBoil you never go back. Sits on top of the fuel tank as well. Light as hell and packs down small. But it will boil your water crazy fast with the difuser in the base.

IMG_1641.jpg

Yes, Alvord Desert. I don't shoot out there though, too many people and no decent backstop. I did some camping south of there in the hills. Good spot.

No this is not new to me.

Reason I ask is I'm looking for like minded people to expand my circle of friends.

Nate
I"ve always wanted to go to the Alvord, but last time I considered it, went up to Goat Rocks instead. Shorter drive but way too crowded, IMO. I would not have expected so many people.
Too much travel this year, and not enough camping. Overdue....

"Off the grid" isn't quite as "off" as it used to be in some places. I've lived in the PNW for 32 years, but before that lived in so. Calif. There used to be this big, mostly vacant space there called the Mojave Desert. Not so deserted these days, and much of it off limits to shooting. About 50 years ago, my friends and I used to go there for "camping" in remote areas. Before everyone had 4WD or motorbikes. We just drove old sedans until they wouldn't go any further, then get out and walk it. We'd spend all weekend shooting and loafing. Sunday night, we'd go home without a round to our names. Then back to school the next morning. This was our high school experience. Tolerating class all week so we could spend the weekend shooting in the desert. Thankfully we had trusting parents. I wonder how many parents would trust their 16 year old kids to a car loaded with guns to disappear for the weekend?

Just make sure of your Backstop! No matter where you are going

This. One Friday evening when I was about 16, we couldn't wait until the following morning to drive out to the desert. We loaded up in a friend's 1960 Ford Falcon and left. We got out to a place called Landers, it was pitch dark everywhere around. Of course we couldn't wait to shoot so we all started shooting in every direction. After while, we got tired of this and decided it was time to get some sleep. Next morning when it got light, we were up and the first thing we noticed was weekend cabins all around us. None of which we could see in the dark the previous night.

Shooting after dark is against hunting regulations, it's a serious infraction if a game warden catches you at it. Doesn't matter if you're not hunting. They're around, even in the desert. You may not see one for years but they are around and people call in. Especially now that there are many more full-time residents living out in the desert now.

Some of our vehicles:

4XuaPuT.jpg
1957 Lincoln

VKxcZlb.jpg
1955 Cadillac

PSsT7jP.jpg
1965 Ford Mustang

noXfOsA.jpg
1954 Lincoln

OgufcQ9.jpg
This friend of mine is dead now, died in 2012 from a rare disease. He is shooting a cut-down M1 Rifle that had been chambered for .308 Win. and modified to take an M14 magazine. In the 1960's there was a thriving mini-industry of companies in so. Calif. that were building US type military rifles from surplus parts.

zG2knA4.jpg
Same friend, on the left. Guy in the middle firing the same rifle, he's been dead for many years, died in his 30's. The guy on the right, living and doing well in Roswell, NM, we email back and forth a few times a week. 1972, ages early 20's.

YUP!
Though Mine takes me WAY W-A-Y W--A--Y out there in Gods Country!
View attachment 614940
My Last Super Cub prior to the current one in my avatar!

I had no idea that you were a Cub driver!

I had the privilege of meeting and flying with the guys who produce the Cubdriver749er videos in 2007. I had no idea of the capabilities of these little planes before then.

E

I had no idea that you were a Cub driver!

I had the privilege of meeting and flying with the guys who produce the Cubdriver749er videos in 2007. I had no idea of the capabilities of these little planes before then.

E
Yea, their super fun and very capable, part of the reason the PA-18 Super Cubs are so darn popular! So much so, there are more flying now then Piper ever built! You can even find brand new ones in Europe and now the Ukraine! Crazy!
Got one of these on the way, should be picking it up in 3 weeks and hauling it home!

Yea, their super fun and very capable, part of the reason the PA-18 Super Cubs are so darn popular! So much so, there are more flying now then Piper ever built! You can even find brand new ones in Europe and now the Ukraine! Crazy!
Got one of these on the way, should be picking it up in 3 weeks and hauling it home!

Lol.........stall speed.......18 mph.

E

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews