JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a standard 10/22 when I was younger, but it disappeared on me a number of years ago. I now have a 10/22 takedown Marine edition. Comes with a hard plastic case and a water resistant gasket. No place in the case for a scope, but I'm not really a scope fan anyway. Got it on a Palmetto State Armory sale recently, but they are currently out.

View attachment 267518

OK, elucidate, what is needed?

New barrel and a new trigger group kit would be an absolute minimum to make it as good as a Marlin 60 straight out of the box.

He's got Yong sons who will eventually be shooting it.

If this is the case, choose an FA that you can
1. Control to 1 round easily -
2. Can adjust or replace the stock - shorties need shorter stocks.
3. I recommend easily getting to iron sites. Yes optics / red dots are common, but learning the basics is a must, By this I mean, if you take off the optic, are the iron sites usable.

If you haven't - I suggest taking an Appleseed Weekend.
There is a Supporting Vendor forum and @Kimber Custom here can help point you to resources.
If you are (He Is) already proficient, put a pin in this and bring your (his) children when they are mature enough.

Some bathroom size dixie cups (2oz) filled with colored water and frozen with a Christmas tree ornament hook - or hunk of wire or cord, make for a cheap and fun reactive target. If you use some garden twine, then there is nothing to clean up.
Of course you could use larger cups for bigger targets.

Kids need feedback, getting steel targets or self healing targets which move will help keep their interest.

Spend the effort to get well fitting safety gear. Plan on upgrading often.

Shoot the rifle in steel competitions. There are several different ones - Speed Steel, NSSF Rimfire and so on. These tend to be family affairs and children can do well.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and like it. I updated the trigger by polishing internals and cut the bolt release slot so I can release the bolt with one hand. And added a red dot. Otherwise it's stock.
More accurate than I am.

I don't know if I saw this on the list, the Smith&Wesson M&P 22 Rifle - a Modern Sporting Rifle style has an excellent reputation.
IMG_4387.jpg

My opinion the Marlin 60 is the least expensive and most accurate right outta box with no modifications. If the 60 came with a removal Magazine like the 10/22 is, well Ruger sales would drop. Marlin 60 outta the box and a Ruger 10/22 outta box are not equal. The trigger for one is not near as good stock on a Ruger 10/22 Now that said I have taken a stock 10/22 and put an additional 450.00 into it and made it a solid driver but stock it didnt shoot near as well as a Marlin 60. I tend to like the I nexpensive Savage Mark 2 there are also great shooters stock and can be found pretty reasonable. Of course if money is no object there are many fine rifles in the 400+ range that are pretty amazing.

If this is the case, choose an FA that you can
1. Control to 1 round easily -
2. Can adjust or replace the stock - shorties need shorter stocks.
3. I recommend easily getting to iron sites. Yes optics / red dots are common, but learning the basics is a must, By this I mean, if you take off the optic, are the iron sites usable.

If you haven't - I suggest taking an Appleseed Weekend.
There is a Supporting Vendor forum and @Kimber Custom here can help point you to resources.
If you are (He Is) already proficient, put a pin in this and bring your (his) children when they are mature enough.

Some bathroom size dixie cups (2oz) filled with colored water and frozen with a Christmas tree ornament hook - or hunk of wire or cord, make for a cheap and fun reactive target. If you use some garden twine, then there is nothing to clean up.
Of course you could use larger cups for bigger targets.

Kids need feedback, getting steel targets or self healing targets which move will help keep their interest.

Spend the effort to get well fitting safety gear. Plan on upgrading often.

Shoot the rifle in steel competitions. There are several different ones - Speed Steel, NSSF Rimfire and so on. These tend to be family affairs and children can do well.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and like it. I updated the trigger by polishing internals and cut the bolt release slot so I can release the bolt with one hand. And added a red dot. Otherwise it's stock.
More accurate than I am.

I don't know if I saw this on the list, the Smith&Wesson M&P 22 Rifle - a Modern Sporting Rifle style has an excellent reputation.
View attachment 267565

Good points and +1 on the M&P 15-22 - S&W have done an outstanding job on that rifle.

Ok, I can get the trigger group, but why a new barrel? (not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know)

The Marlin barrels - don't quote me but I am sure their website could expand on it - are micro grooved in the rifling which makes cheap ammo shoot much better then any other stock .22 I've shot.

If I wanted an AR platform .22lr, I would go with the S&W.

For every one person that tells me that their conversion kit is great, 20 more tell me about the number of problems they have or how it will only cycle "xx" brand of ammo.

Some of the options listed are a little out of the price range for a person new to guns. Some will be less willing to spend more than a few $100 on a new hobby that they don't know how much they'll like. How many times have we talked with people that spent close to 1K on a gun because XYZ said it was what they should buy? I know one guy who has spent a massive amount on 10/22 upgrades to the point he even replaced the receiver but his first gun ($600 dollar shotgun) just sits no longer used with less than a box fired.

22lr is a great way to get more trigger time for people of all skill levels. And sometimes buying a 22lr conversion kit is the best option from some. I picked up a CMMG Ar15 drop in kit just to take with me on camping trips. And for the record I don't own or have owned an AR in .223/5.56. :cool:

I have a 2nd Marlin 60 that was produced in the 80's and shoots just the same as the first one I bought in the mid 90's.

I see your in OR but if your buddy is in WA I would let it go cheap (it's been a user so it's not pristine) but would give him a cheap way to try out a platform and make some informed decisions on what he wants long term.

Start a convo if interested.

.22 ammo is still hard to find.
Inspired by this, I visited Cabela's online this morning and there was nothing interesting, (Eley match at $23 per 50) moved on to Midway USA and picked up a 500-round brick of the Gold Standard CCI 40gr. Standard Velocity at 9 cents/round.
So it's there, if your timing is right, you aren't gonna try to hold out for 1990's prices which will never come around and apply diligence with patience.
:cool:

One point to add to this discussion: it's important that you like your firearm. Why? Because you will enjoy it more and so use it more. You will become a better shooter.

Yes you can get a cheap rimfire, but that is a false economy. Spend the extra $50 or $100 or $200 or whatever to get a gun you will appreciate. Remember, you will be passing this gun on to one of your grandchildren. The extra cost will be forgotten.

Cruise the pawn and gun shop used racks those nice little Marlin 60's can be found in good shape for under $150, really hard to beat. Grooved for tip off scope rings, a fair little scope can be found for under $50, and the gun may already have one on it.
Stock rough? Get some sandpaper and smooth it up, and get some true oil, and you're good to go for another 25 years or so. I personally like the tube feed over their little box magazine, sometimes they just don't seat well. Personal preference is all.
That being said I have an old Winchester single shot that I have more fun shooting than my 10-22!
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews