JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great, more fear-mongering. Valid or not, it's just going to appeal to people who are already pro-gun. Isn't going to change anyone's mind.

That video make a mockery of their own comment of "... a new reality TV show that promotes the positive image of responsible gun ownership."
Positive my arse. :/
Nothing positive about it. Less than 10 rounds doesn't always work. It's a sheety idea.

People make decisions and form opinions based, to a large part, on emotion, and only use logical reasoning afterwards to find arguments to support these decisions. As part of a pro-gun PR campaign, I believe such videos (see also PANIC 911) would be very effective at helping to win-over the anti-gun crowd. Real-world examples can also work wonders:

Our overlords care more about what the legal gun owning citizen might be thinking more than what the criminala are actually doing.

The state in the name of women's safety will tell you down to the minute how many women are raped and attacked. Their solution is a whistle. Nancy, Diane and Kate have a 6'2, 220lb Glock that knows karate. They aren't stupid they just think we. For the most part they are being proven right.

It is never a good idea to have someone else dictate to you just what gun , ammo or the amount of guns and ammo you need for a given task.

Pick the gun and ammo combination that works the most reliable out of your firearm , also making sure that it is one that you can make hits with.
What works well, with their firearm , how they shoot and their situation , may be vastly different for another person....there simply is no one size fits all solution.

As for the on going citing of the .22 Long and the killing of a grizzly bear....
Yes it worked...in that specific case...that does not mean that it will work that way again.
A well placed .22 will indeed kill many things...but the key part here is "well placed".
My biggest issue with relying on a .22 for self defense is the rim fire part of the cartridge...a dud or other cartridge failure while plinking is annoying , in a self defense shoot , it can be life ending.

In my experience bullets do weird things when hitting flesh...and they at times do not have the desired effect , no matter the caliber or maker of said bullet.
Not to be too grim here but...
I have seen people shot with what later would have been thought to have been a immediate mortal wound and still continue to fight...other people that I have seen shot "lightly" , drop right there.

The only "absolutes" that I have seen in any of the firefights that I have been in...is my absolute desire and will to do whatever it takes to survive the fight.
Andy

My biggest issue with relying on a .22 for self defense is the rim fire part of the cartridge...a dud or other cartridge failure while plinking is annoying , in a self defense shoot , it can be life ending.

I'll never understand these tiny "self defense" rimfire for that very reason, I've had way too many rimfires dud out on me I'd never intentionally use one for SD, if that is all I had available for whatever reason so be it, but in general...no thanks.

Just came back to this thread.

Sadly, revolvers do jam.

How do I know?

It's happened to me.

The very SP101 I mentioned jammed one day, that is, when I pulled the trigger the cylinder wouldn't revolve. I didn't try to force it. I did slowly open the gate to reveal the ammo and guess what? One of the rounds was slightly bulging and wouldn't allow the cylinder to rotate. Jammed. I removed the round (very carefully) reloaded and I was back in business.

Anything mechanical can go sideways...even revolvers.

People make decisions and form opinions based, to a large part, on emotion, and only use logical reasoning afterwards to find arguments to support these decisions. As part of a pro-gun PR campaign, I believe such videos (see also PANIC 911) would be very effective at helping to win-over the anti-gun crowd. Real-world examples can also work wonders:

Many, many years ago, I used to post this lady's (Dr. Hupp) testimony (Transcript.) and clips of her speeches on various boards/forums.

Cate

Not sure I can get 100% behind this mentality. Revolvers don't jam and aren't affected as much by bad ammo. What if your semi-auto jams on the second shot? Every weapon has pros/cons.

Lots of people own firearms. I'd estimate that less than 5% actually TRAIN with their firearms, including how to clear jams. I can clear a Type 2 (stovepipe) malfunction in less than 2 seconds. I can clear a Type 3 (double feed) malfunction in less than 5 seconds. I practice these things.

Lots of people own firearms. I'd estimate that less than 5% actually TRAIN with their firearms, including how to clear jams. I can clear a Type 2 (stovepipe) malfunction in less than 2 seconds. I can clear a Type 3 (double feed) malfunction in less than 5 seconds. I practice these things.
Practice makes permanent. That's awesome.

Many, many years ago, I used to post this lady's (Dr. Hupp) testimony (Transcript.) and clips of her speeches on various boards/forums.

Cate

The last 10 seconds says it all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews