JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Holy cow!! They have so many options it's like trying to order a new truck or car!! ;)

Seriously, I went through their site like 3x because I had no idea what I was ordering, I ended up having to watch a few youtube videos to figure it all out.

I almost went with the TT light fighter carrier. I went up to their place near Lewis and tried it on and they had it in Grey... But $400 was over my budget.
But all of my other nylon gear is TT. damn good stuff.

I generally like TT gear, however what I do not like at all is the malice clips, they're a pain in the butt to thread and attach, they are also heavier than they should be. TAG uses an extra long nylon strap, that threads through, and then folds up back into the bottom of their pouches to make attachments. This is the best molle/pals type attachment system I've seen, it's very fast to attach and it's also quite secure.

What kept me away from the TT rig, is the lightfighter seems to be assembled backwards, the wings rather than being firmly attached to the front plate pocket instead are attached to the rear, which means the side-armor would be covering my kidney areas from the rear, not the front. Maybe this wouldn't normally be a problem, but I'm a big guy 42 waist, 54 chest at 6'7. a lot of things that advertised "one size fits most" does not become encouraging at that point.

I'll post some pictures when the rig shows up, I'll also post some pics of my current rig.

I have two set ups one is a 5-11 Tactical TACTEC With AR500 3+ plates and one is a basic Condor package from AR500 with level 3 plates both work great and fit well it comes down to the options your after.

The fully loaded 5-11 with bladder and first aid weighs 40 pounds as pictured have not set up the Condor package yet so not sure of the weight.

5.11 TacTec™ Plate Carrier | 5.11 Tactical

<broken link removed>

20160229_075843.jpg

I have two set ups one is a 5-11 Tactical TACTEC With AR500 3+ plates and one is a basic Condor package from AR500 with level 3 plates both work great and fit well it comes down to the options your after.

I looked at some of the 5-11 rigs, it seems they don't sell that particular version anymore, I did look around to see what they had, and I don't think I came across that specific version. I nearly went with the Blackhawk Strike out of frustration (it had 90% of the features I wanted, and nothing I really didn't want) until I went and looked at BDS' site again, and watched a few more youtube vids on it.

BDS is still sewing my rig up, hopefully it will be here mid next week. Condor was pretty much knocked out of the running immediately, I really don't care for their stuff and I would just be buying a replacement for whatever it is within a year. Generally my preference is for new US made gear, with used US made gear, foreign contract gear sewn to US gear specs, and then absolute last resort anything from china. I've had too many chinese made "tactical" items disintegrate over the years, everything from busted buckles, fraying straps, to seams that tear out, and zippers that fail.

I know you have already ordered the BDS rig, but have you maybe considered a custom carrier that has fixed pockets set up just the way you want it to be set up, and lighter, with 3d mesh padding on the inside sides for airflow? I believe a few new US companies are making such carriers with thick padding that are not really padding but rather spacer mesh, in order to provide airflow for keeping core temperatures stable, instead of being stuck wearing gear that basically keeps your core very high and has a potential for heatstroke (hence why many guys use combat shirts that have very thin/airy material in the torso and tough shoulders/sleeves)

I know you have already ordered the BDS rig, but have you maybe considered a custom carrier that has fixed pockets set up just the way you want it to be set up, and lighter, with 3d mesh padding on the inside sides for airflow? I believe a few new US companies are making such carriers with thick padding that are not really padding but rather spacer mesh, in order to provide airflow for keeping core temperatures stable, instead of being stuck wearing gear that basically keeps your core very high and has a potential for heatstroke (hence why many guys use combat shirts that have very thin/airy material in the torso and tough shoulders/sleeves)

This is mostly a matter of conditioning. Even wearing something across the front, and then a hydration carrier across the back gets pretty hot pretty quick when the mercury climbs.

I've actually spent most of this summer helping the company I used to work for full time with a shop move, I'm in good shape at the moment and I'm trying to keep up my activity level. But pretty much the thing is, as soon as I start to get hot, I sweat, and I sweat a lot. I was working on the range the other day (they're an ammo manufacturer so we needed to setup an indoor shooting range) running the cutting torch (we're taking an old large steel safe, cutting a hole for bullets to go in, putting some AR-500 against the back, and then filling the inside with ballistic rubber). I was sweating so much, my welding goggles had about half an inch of water in them, it was like swim goggles.

I've got the Condor MOPC with ESAPI's front and back. Ordering some ar500 side plates (my ESAPI side plates don't fit) and trauma pads.
Also looking at investing in a bump helmet.

Sorry for necroposting this thread but thought it relevant.

Is there any reason at all to hang on to my dad's 25 plus year old Second Chance Monarch armor with the Level 2 soft inserts and 5x7 trauma steel plate?

The shoulder elastic and belly elastic is worn out so I was thinking to sew up either new elastic bands or a new carrier for it but honestly I don't know that it will be used much if level 3a or 3 plates are much better?

Sorry for necroposting this thread but thought it relevant.

Is there any reason at all to hang on to my dad's 25 plus year old Second Chance Monarch armor with the Level 2 soft inserts and 5x7 trauma steel plate?

The shoulder elastic and belly elastic is worn out so I was thinking to sew up either new elastic bands or a new carrier for it but honestly I don't know that it will be used much if level 3a or 3 plates are much better?
would you trust your life with it? if not then you know the answer.

And hopefully it doesnt get used at all ;)

would you trust your life with it? if not then you know the answer.

And hopefully it doesnt get used at all ;)
Thats the thing. I could trust it if I dont expect anything higher than a .357 magnum fired from a pistol :rolleyes: carbines on the other hand..... well. I aint sure. I do have carriers that can take hard armor plates that I have yet to get (level 4 ceramics for good prices now compared to level 3 or 3a plates)

I went level 4. my thinking is if it all goes south, there are ALOT of 556, 762/39 and /51 out there.
If it were me, id take the soft armor to the range and shoot it up

I went level 4. my thinking is if it all goes south, there are ALOT of 556, 762/39 and /51 out there.
If it were me, id take the soft armor to the range and shoot it up
According to the 05 revision of the NIJ standards level 3 is rated to stop 7.62x51fmj at 2,750fps... not sure what it does for 5.56 though. The level 4 is resistant to one hit from a 30 06 M2 AP round though. Pretty high level.. pretty heavy armor but been seeing sales prices on them from RMA and Hesco and other companies compared to the much lighter 3a and 3 armors.

For level 2... yea I still dont know. I dont remember what te 5x7 trauma plate is rated for though

According to the 05 revision of the NIJ standards level 3 is rated to stop 7.62x51fmj at 2,750fps... not sure what it does for 5.56 though. The level 4 is resistant to one hit from a 30 06 M2 AP round though. Pretty high level.. pretty heavy armor but been seeing sales prices on them from RMA and Hesco and other companies compared to the much lighter 3a and 3 armors.

For level 2... yea I still dont know. I dont remember what te 5x7 trauma plate is rated for though

There is a major difference 3a and 3 armor. Type 1, type 2a, type 2 and type 3a are all part of the soft body armor level while type 3 and type 4 are hard plates designed to defeat projectiles at rifle speeds and in most instances must be used in conjunction with the soft body armor tested specifically for that combination. This is one of the differences of type 3 and type 3a body armor. Again, type 3a is a soft body armor while type 3 is a hard body armor.

There is a major difference 3a and 3 armor. Type 1, type 2a, type 2 and type 3a are all part of the soft body armor level while type 3 and type 4 are hard plates designed to defeat projectiles at rifle speeds and in most instances must be used in conjunction with the soft body armor tested specifically for that combination. This is one of the differences of type 3 and type 3a body armor. Again, type 3a is a soft body armor while type 3 is a hard body armor.
Right; I'm aware of the differences such as 3a being only up to .44 Magnum. There are apparently also "3A hard armor" now but that may be just hype? 3 and 4 are yes hard armor, and may have 3a soft backers for maximum protection.. although the "Stand Alone" plates are much thicker and heavier (ranging from 6lbs to 8 lbs per). The Monarch Level 2 armor I have is a soft armor thats made before the Zylon debacle.. I think they're made of woven Kevlar.

I have been finding level 4 stand alones for lower prices than the lighter level 3 hards and the soft 3a pistol armor... this is just avoiding the AR500 steel armor at the moment. (Level 3a Ar500 at 5-6lbs each versus stand alone ceramic 4s at 7lbs each?? Ceramics for the win here.)

So this is what the armor looks like; with K-30 trauma plate which I think matches NIJ 3A ratings by being able to stop .44 magnum in conjunctuon with the level 2 soft armor. Seems if used in conjunction with the K47 larger armor plate, it would be rated level 4 or 3? Not sure. Looks like might be reasonable to get a K47 insert if I can find it :rolleyes:

Edit; someone found a use for it and bought it for $30 complete with K30 trauma plate...

20170902_091927.jpg 20170902_082309.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews