JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So.... these two graphics shows the most common sizes of primary plate sizes available; SAPIFinal.png MOS_Sizing_Chart_Swimmer_V3.jpg

Now.. these 3 sizes that are right in the middle... SAPI M, 10x12, SAPI L are so very close to each other, that other than the extra height/length of the SAPI plates, there's no real justifiable differences... except cut and curve type.
Unless you're a real skinny dude, any of these three sizes will be fine with "single curve", but try to find multicurves if you're more of a beefier build to porkier build :rolleyes:
For me, Single curve doesn't fit me well, although I only have the 10x12 Body Armor Outlet Shooter cuts (4401SH)... but multicurve/triple curve 10x12 ICW plates fit me much better. XL SAPI thats available, Level 4s... about 11 pounds each:s0001: Level 3+/Special Threat (tested to M193 and M855s) ICWs in XL SAPI with multicurve.. only 5 something pound each, but requires 3A soft armor which I do have in relatively ancient 2xl Safariland size from the 2000s.... :confused:

SAPI L might be a better compromise, giving me more than an inch height over the 10x12 plates, but much better fit through multicurve versus single curve.

As to why they're mostly irrelevant... for very large dudes, the SAPI M/10x12/SAPI L might not be quite enough coverage horizontally, especially if your chest measurements are greater than 50 inches. There are significant gaps between armpits and plate edges that in theory, a round can easily go and completely disable the user, which was why i went for the 2XL soft armor, some protection is better than absolutely minimal :rolleyes: the largest side plates are 6x8 I believe. There's no 8x10 plates thats curved on the 10" side, although that in my opinion would have been a great option for large chested dudes. The plates in 8x10 size is curved on the 8" side and usually has upper corner cuts for very small torsos (women for example) :rolleyes:

There are currently no larger sizes than 11x14 XL SAPIs in terms of hard armor plates.

Last Edited:
I sold and fitted vests for a while, law enforcement generally have unrealistic expectations of bullet resistant products. The general public, even more so.

Here is what I run. Level 4 at 7.6lbs each. Multicurve. And pretty comfortable. I paid $360 shipped for a pair so better deals are out there

These are actually my back plates. I used a multicurve front on my fiances carriers and mine. Then used the single curve for the back plates. Works very well as they are same weight and rating

From SAPI M to SAPI XL, the difference is only 0.75" per side in width, but the biggest difference is in the height/length with 2 inches from the 10x12 to SAPI XL with the M SAPIs having more height/length than 10x12. That is why for the most part plate size is largely irrelevant, and the primary concerns should be... multicurve vs single curve and which cut (Shooter/swimmers vs SAPI vs Rectangle/Square).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top