JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is a fact, about five percent of humans and an unknown percentage of dogs are simply immune to pepper spray. I personally had such a a dog that was completely immune to the effects. I have no idea if any creature has immunity to CS/CX gas spray, but I try to carry a defense spray that combines BOTH pepper and CS/CX, in case the pepper fails.

My main point is to carry backup to your defense spray in case it is not effective or if the wind is against you. And I would not even consider a knife unless the attacking dog has already got a "death-bite" on your pet or yourself. The thing is, dogs in combat are just incredibly fast and can chomp down on your knife hand well before you can use it, and then shake you to death. And I would not want to offer it my other hand as a "sacrifice" to keep the knife hand free. You need to deal with the beast at a distance and not let it bite you. When I walked my dobie I usually carried a gun, spray, and a heavy walking stick. The latter was very useful for poking away silly challenging dogs........................elsullo

load your pistol with varmit shells they basicly turn any hand gun into a shot gun no more need to be accurate.down side it wont kill the dog it will hurt it bad enough to deteer it.but just to be safe carry the knife too

if youre a responsible dog owner, you would probably have your dogs on a leash when walking them. if thats the case, would your dogs plant themselves while another dog attacks or would they be trying to pull you off balance/aim?

just something to think about if you have that gun/knife in your hands.

In the city limits? Pepper spray. Pulling out a gun on a dog may get you in other trouble. IE: pointing a firearm. Using a firearm in the city limits etc'

Uh, I better not come up against a bad guy, because I might have to ask him to come out to the country with me so I can shoot him, because discharging a firearm within the city limits is a bad thing? Pointing a firearm to prevent a further escalation of an attack, is perfectly justifiable. If you have a CHL and need to use your weapon to protect yourself from an attack, either a human or animal, I seriously doubt you will have any serious legal consequences. After all, isn't that the purpose of having a CHL? Brandishing a weapon is a legal no-no. Firing a weapon into the air is a no-no. We are not talking about hunting game here. And after all is said and done, I would rather deal with some minor legal issues than with months, or years, of physical damage caused by an aggressive animal.

There was an interesting thread over on The High Road posted by a person who had to shoot (at) two dogs in self defense. He used a 12ga w/ reduced-recoil buckshot; missed one dog and hit the other w/ poor results. Makes me wonder what results a minor-caliber handgun would have in that situation (probably not good). Just some food for thought.

I normally carry a pocket gun and/or some pepper spray when walking my dog. I've never (yet) felt the need to deploy any of these against another dog, but I've certainly encountered my fair share of dogs w/ idiot owners who seem to think that letting their dog(s) bolt out onto the street toward me and my dog is acceptable behavior.

Even had one set of owners who wanted to argue with me about whether it was my fault their dogs came charging out at me. This happened on a number of occasions, and given where this was eventually heading, my wife convinced me that we were better off taking a different route for our future walks.

I've also heard people advocate carrying "walking sticks" with a large masonry nail driven into the end or sjamboks.

I have a nice, stout oak cane that belonged to my grandfather, but I've been thinking of getting one of Cold Steel's Irish Blackthorn Walking Sticks to carry when I walk my wee doggies. That would be my first line of defense, if that failed out would come the 642 or whatever i happened to be packing.

Buy the way does anyone know the legality (or illegality) of carrying a collapsible baton in Oregon?

The best thing to use is a grenade and duct tape. Put the grenade in his mouth, duct tape it shut, pull the pin and run.

I would use a knife, but thats because I feel confident in my handling skills. If you have some knife skills, I would recommend the CRKT Hissatsu, it's a good offensive knife for under $40 or so. A sjambok is a good idea, but I think those pits can withstand a ton of pain, so hitting it might only piss it off more. Also, a tire thumper or stout billy club would do the trick I would think, but you might not be able to generate the leverage needed to make it effective. Some of those studded brass knuckles might be useful, too.

The best defense is something that is VERY LOUD, like a fog/air horn. No dogs like loud noise. Or a dog whistle.

And remember kiddies;

When Mr Pitbull locks his jaw on your extremity, grab the loose skin on the jowls and push/pull it directly back down the line of it's spinal column. That is the only way of getting their muscles to release you short of it's death. Taught to me by an animal handler and works like a charm.

Did anybody ever think of maybe saying some sweet things to the dog? Maybe call it pretty? All you guys can think of are ways to kill or maim dogs, when the attack could probably easily be resolved with a few sincere kind words. Maybe the dog thinks its butt doesnt smell enough, and just needs someone to tell it that it smells nasty? Its disturbing to me that all your suggestions are so violent.

And if that doesnt work, bite it about the head and neck.

I see no one likes my suggestion??? Actually, I think liability wise and safety wise, your better off carrying a bottle of pepper spray. It will stop the dog from attacking, and is a less than lethal option, which will be easier to defend in court if the dogs owner should try to sue you.

Just note which direction the wind is blowing, or you may blow it right back into your face and incapacitate yourself, and leave the dog wondering why you helped him!!

Did anybody ever think of maybe saying some sweet things to the dog? Maybe call it pretty? All you guys can think of are ways to kill or maim dogs, when the attack could probably easily be resolved with a few sincere kind words. Maybe the dog thinks its butt doesnt smell enough, and just needs someone to tell it that it smells nasty? Its disturbing to me that all your suggestions are so violent.

And if that doesnt work, bite it about the head and neck.

Pretty funny visual.

:s0140:

I would bring along a doggie treat or some beef jerky to walk my dog. When a mean pitbull would come charging, I will just throw some of the treat/jerky at it. Then casually walk away while the pitbull is busy munching away.

I have a nice, stout oak cane that belonged to my grandfather, but I've been thinking of getting one of Cold Steel's Irish Blackthorn Walking Sticks to carry when I walk my wee doggies. That would be my first line of defense, if that failed out would come the 642 or whatever i happened to be packing.

Buy the way does anyone know the legality (or illegality) of carrying a collapsible baton in Oregon?

forget the baton..they suck for hitting people and work worse on animals..if your set on getting one... get the Modanock locking baton..stay away from ASP or any cheap knockoffs..

the baton is not regulated in Oregon..altho any LEO is gonna look at you real hard if it comes up in a contact

the walking stick is a MUCH better investment..less aggressive looking and more socially acceptable..also has more practical uses (snakes, balance, ect)

I would get this one from cold steal..I have the Irish blackthorn poly one..gonna get this one next..I like it better

http://www.kopes.com/swords/cane-swords/cold-steel-walkabout-xl-walking-stick.htm

look around you can find it cheaper..this link had the best pic

I was a parole officer for many years and had contact with LOTS of dogs when doing home visits/inspections. Although I carried both gun and knife (folder) I found that pepper spray worked best for me for many reasons:

1. I'm a dog lover and would hate to kill even a dog trying to bite me.
2. I didn't want to write all the use of force reports from using a firearm.
3. There is lots of public image garbage involved with shooting someone's dog.
4. Pepper spray works great! Dogs have much more sensitive noses than we do, and when attacking, their mouths are wide open exposing all that mucous membrane tissue to the pepper spray. In nearly 25 years, pepper spray NEVER failed to deter the dog.
5. A bullet comes out in one straight line, the knife requires that you get really close. Pepper spray comes out like a shotgun depending on the type you use. That makes the dog have to come through this cloud of pepper spray that fills it's eyes, nose, mouth with the pepper...every one of the dogs ran off whimpering. But they all lived, and when they saw me the next time, when my hand went toward my pocket, they ran away without requiring a second dose....they REALLY remembered me.
6. But I gotta say, almost every time I used the pepper spray, I got a little dose of it as well.
7. Even with a CCW permit, it is lots easier to deal with using pepper spray than shooting a dog, or using a knife on one.

Most of all, I think it is the most effective of the three options.

I have used pepper spray once and a firearm.
Once while trying to break up a dog fight, I used pepper spray.
The pepper spray did not work in my case, plus I was down wind and took as much as I gave! Ended up pulling off my belt, swinging it buckle first, no luck. When the dogs got tired and had to take a breather I use the belt to leash my dog and back away.

The 44 mag was much better! First shot put down a 100+ pound German Shep. that was trying to attack my 10 year old son. Hit him 6 for 6 at 30 yards.
I always pack a handgun when walking.

Nice shootin' Tex (big bull)! Especially with the stress of the dog trying to attack your son.
It seemed I used to get nearly as much pepper spray as the dogs I was spraying, but as long as I gave them a mouth full, it never failed to work. Pepper spray is like a firearm in that regard, if you don't hit your target, it won't work. With your being upwind, most of the spray probably didn't get where it was supposed to..

I agree with carrying a gun also..I always did. What is odd is that I never got bitten by a "manly" dog like a rotweiller, pit bull, german shepherd etc. It was always granny's little ankle biter that would sneak up behind me and grab me about 4 inches above the ankle..

Nowdays, I pack a gun and walking stick with a large brass knob on top, or a specially made cane that looks like an old man's cane, but is really a weapon with iron ferrule on the tip, and sharpened hook on the top. Plus, it isn't the skinny weak wood you see at payless drug. Mine are 1 inch thick oak, or ash.

Last Edited:
I've just gotta say this, because it isn't the first post I've seen it on...

The pit bull is no more dangerous an animal than any other. Do some qualified research, instead of what we see on the news (we, of all people, should understand that!)

I love my Pit. He is handsome, smart (in a very dopey sort of way) and as loyal as can be. He is also the worst attack dog ever, because he'd rather slobber you to death. Why? Because we raised him right. He hasn't been taught to fight, or be aggressive, so he isn't. Our 14 pound little Cairn terrier is WAY more hostile than Muggsy (my pit) because he knows he's an alpha.

Pit-Bulls get a very bad rap, and I am saddened every time I see it. Just hope someone takes something away from this post.

/end rant

I couldn't agree more with Selftest. I used to raise pit bulls (red nose ones) and agree that most of the bad rap for pits are because they are raised by idiots who would likely want any dog they own to be aggressive. My pits knew that they were NEVER to put their mouth on any part of a human...even if they inadvertently touched my hand with their teeth during play, all play would stop. They knew it was a bad thing to do, and would lay down to show they were submissive, and sorry. I don't believe beating dogs is an effective way to teach a dog...love works far better. Praise over punishment any time, but my dogs also knew that if their teeth touched me, I would act very hurt (physically and emotionally...but just an act for the dogs) and so all play would stop.

Eventually, I would allow them to make amends and we would go on to something else...

The whole point of all this is that it is how you raise the dogs. Certainly dogs are bred for purposes, and as a result have tendencies toward specific behaviors...but PROPER training can do amazing things if you take the time, and have the patience and love to work with them.

Even the border collies I have now, know that I don't like to be herded when I'm trying to get a cup of coffee to my chair...

That man in Vancouver, Wa. (or nearby town) just shot a dog recently and it appeared in the news that the police were ok with it. He had a carry permit.
I vote for pepper spray. Attorneys are expensive...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top