JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
http://www.kopes.com/swords/cane-swords/cold-steel-walkabout-xl-walking-stick.htm

I am amazed that Cold Steel thinks they can get $74 for what amounts to little more than an shovel handle with a brass ferrule attached to the small end. For those considering this option and who are competent with tools (as all men should be), you can get stick parts from here:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40009&cat=1,250,43243

Having the upper end bored out and filled with a few ounces of poured lead or shot wouldn't hurt either.

Be that as it may, I have always found almost any ole stick to be pretty effective on miscreant dogs. Which is not to say that I don't have a back up plan.

definetly gonna go pepper spray too much of an animal lover to kill a dog just cuz it scared me deadly foce is a last resort when all other options are exhausted
I've just gotta say this, because it isn't the first post I've seen it on...

The pit bull is no more dangerous an animal than any other. Do some qualified research, instead of what we see on the news (we, of all people, should understand that!)

I love my Pit. He is handsome, smart (in a very dopey sort of way) and as loyal as can be. He is also the worst attack dog ever, because he'd rather slobber you to death. Why? Because we raised him right. He hasn't been taught to fight, or be aggressive, so he isn't. Our 14 pound little Cairn terrier is WAY more hostile than Muggsy (my pit) because he knows he's an alpha.

Pit-Bulls get a very bad rap, and I am saddened every time I see it. Just hope someone takes something away from this post.

/end rant

amen to that ive got a pit who is more well behaved than most people let alone dogs and a boston terrorist and the boston is def the aggressor not tryn to hijack the thread just saddens me cuz the way i see it its just like racism but with dogs

Washington State have a stock law, any animal harrassing livestock (which I believe could include your pet dog) can be shot, no questions asked. I do not believe city codes can supersede that law, either. Not sure about Oregon, so best check.

Using the spray does seem the best first response... but how can one know the spray will drive off the attacker for good, rather than anger him further and cause him to press home his attack? Seems the sprays don't have THAT much range (20 feet?), and a fast dog can close that space in less time than a determined human attacker could. The spray would be best used on a stalker sort, trying to weasel his way in for a bite, or maneouvring for best advantage. One charging on hard from up the road I would likely opt for the more substantial "messenger". The "window of decision" is rather close in many cases...... one would have to "read" it quickly and accurately.

Now, in a down on the ground melee, by far the best antidote for further lacerations would surely be the venerable J-frame, with fragmenting/expanding rounds. And, if already under attack, I'd not hesitate to employ its ready service. I'll do the explaining later, though I doubt there would BE any explaining with my hand/arm lacerated and bleeding, a dead dog at my feet. I'd be securing the services of a barrister in rapid order, to file a complaint against the owner of the assaulting animal for medical expenses, lost work, pain and suffering, and some sort of punitive damages as well. a dog's owner IS legally responsible for damage acomplished by his animal. In Washington, at any rate..... if not also in Oregon, you lot need to petition your lawmakers to make it so. I'd far rather not kill/harm someone else's dog... but when that someone else is negligent in the training of his animal, I can muster little sympathy for his loss. Perhaps if a few more vicious dogs were eliminated, and their owners prosecuted/pressed at law, more owners would be responsible owners. The reason we've these problems is that consequences have been too tolerable. Washington has a law in place, if an animal attacks, or seriously threatens, a person, that animal is now registered as "dangerous". If that same animal is EVER seen off the owner's property, and/or not physically secured/confined, the animal will immediately be seized and destroyed, and the OWNER will spend a substantial amount of time in the local Crowbar Hotel. First offense, on notice. Second, HEAVY price. There IS no third. Owners, train your dogs...... simple. And friendly.

I have used pepper spray once and a firearm.
Once while trying to break up a dog fight, I used pepper spray.
The pepper spray did not work in my case, plus I was down wind and took as much as I gave! Ended up pulling off my belt, swinging it buckle first, no luck. When the dogs got tired and had to take a breather I use the belt to leash my dog and back away.

The 44 mag was much better! First shot put down a 100+ pound German Shep. that was trying to attack my 10 year old son. Hit him 6 for 6 at 30 yards.
I always pack a handgun when walking.

First off, yes, your son is more important than a dog. 100%. You say he was trying to attack your son, yet he was 30 yards away? Was your son between you and the dog? Was the dog charging(wow, great shooting on a moving target), or standing still barking? First shot put him down? Then why six for six? If it was investigated, not sure if the shooting was, you are on sticky ground. I am no expert on animal control laws in your area, but I would question your use of a firearm on a dog at that distance, and why you felt after he was down, he needed five more. Or were you putting him out of his misery? Five more?

Although we are all reactive human beings, we need to learn a little about the situations we may encounter. Call it street awareness, for all things two and four legged. It is called awareness, being aware of your surroundings, and knowing your attacker by educating yourself to how they react and approach. Again, two or four legged. And avoiding when possible in the first place. Being aware of where you are, and the places to avoid.

A little on my background. Police dog trainer/reserve officer 13 years. Dog trainer for private citizens.

If a dog is 30 yards away barking, he is telling you, either get lost, and warning his pack or family that an intruder is close by. The barking is loud, the ears are up, the tail may be wagging(agitated, not happy) and they will move back and forth. A dog on attack has hackles up(neck hair), teeth bared, growling not barking, lips curled, ears down. They also crouch slightly as a cat stalking a bird.

At 30 yards, unless he is running at you, slowly back up and walk away. Should he come closer, it may sound silly, but based on fact, yell as loud as you can, go, leave, whatever word you choose. At the same time, put yourself in front of the smallest person with you, and put your arms up and hands in claw like fashion. Heard this before? Yep, recommended for other animals too. If the dog sees you are bigger and meaner they will think twice. I have used this on many ocassions when walking my two Shepherds and we are attacked by another dog, big or small or numerous dogs at once.

When dealing with multiple dogs, they circle. Keep your front towards them as they circle you, never turn your back on the toughest and meanest as it is a sign of weakness.

Pepper spray MAY work. And honestly, if it does a great job, the dog in all probability, was not in full attack mode. Goal oriented people, or dogs will fight the effects and carry out the mission regardless of pain and discomfort. Seen any stories about someone pepper sprayed, tasered, and it still took four cops to wrestle them down? Dogs are the same. If they are intent on getting you, and they will, pepper spray may not work.

So, pepper, gun, knife? That is your choice. And your liability. Prepare for the unexpected at all times. Know the area you are in for all threats. And which ever tool you choose, practice in real type scenarios. Practice trying to hold onto a loved one while they scream and spray silly string at a cardboard target. Contaminate yourself with a very small amount of pepper to see if you can fight through the effects and perform the same tasks as without the effects. If at all possible, train the same way with your knife and firearm. The results will further educate you as to you strengths and weaknesses.

Washington State have a stock law, any animal harrassing livestock (which I believe could include your pet dog) can be shot, no questions asked. I do not believe city codes can supersede that law, either. Not sure about Oregon, so best check.

Using the spray does seem the best first response... but how can one know the spray will drive off the attacker for good, rather than anger him further and cause him to press home his attack? Seems the sprays don't have THAT much range (20 feet?), and a fast dog can close that space in less time than a determined human attacker could. The spray would be best used on a stalker sort, trying to weasel his way in for a bite, or maneouvring for best advantage. One charging on hard from up the road I would likely opt for the more substantial "messenger". The "window of decision" is rather close in many cases...... one would have to "read" it quickly and accurately.

Now, in a down on the ground melee, by far the best antidote for further lacerations would surely be the venerable J-frame, with fragmenting/expanding rounds. And, if already under attack, I'd not hesitate to employ its ready service. I'll do the explaining later, though I doubt there would BE any explaining with my hand/arm lacerated and bleeding, a dead dog at my feet. I'd be securing the services of a barrister in rapid order, to file a complaint against the owner of the assaulting animal for medical expenses, lost work, pain and suffering, and some sort of punitive damages as well. a dog's owner IS legally responsible for damage acomplished by his animal. In Washington, at any rate..... if not also in Oregon, you lot need to petition your lawmakers to make it so. I'd far rather not kill/harm someone else's dog... but when that someone else is negligent in the training of his animal, I can muster little sympathy for his loss. Perhaps if a few more vicious dogs were eliminated, and their owners prosecuted/pressed at law, more owners would be responsible owners. The reason we've these problems is that consequences have been too tolerable. Washington has a law in place, if an animal attacks, or seriously threatens, a person, that animal is now registered as "dangerous". If that same animal is EVER seen off the owner's property, and/or not physically secured/confined, the animal will immediately be seized and destroyed, and the OWNER will spend a substantial amount of time in the local Crowbar Hotel. First offense, on notice. Second, HEAVY price. There IS no third. Owners, train your dogs...... simple. And friendly.

Your last sentence is it exactly. If only we could mandate training for dog owners, it would make life for both the two and fourlegged much easier.

O Canada, thanks for the detailed and accurate info above. Interesting, as I read it, I realised I've been doing much the same sorts of things by instinct. I spent 10 years photographing real estate for sale.. met MANY dogs. In every case but one I was able to befriend the critter... on HIS turf and me a total stranger, please note...... get my job done and out with no issues but a few moments time taken on account of the dog. Many came "from out of nowhere", on the sudden. My immediate response to them, I am certain, set the tone of the encounter. More than a few of their owners were astounded I'd not been attacked, bitten, threatened. And there was their vicious watchdog, the protector and defender of all things on that territory, wagging his tail and asking for his ears to get scratched. I've used ALL the tricks you outline, but could not (and keep my job) do anything in way of an attack on the animals.
Once I had specific instructions to photograph from the backyard, toward the amazing deck/eating area. Large lot, I went round toward the back, as I approached the stock gate to the yard I heard insane agitated large dog barking. Uh oh... hope he can't through the fence. Large and very hostile Dobie at the fence, fangs bared, ears down, hackles up, crouched, dripping saliva.... I tried to calm him, made him madder. I also have a standing order to never include pets in the photographs. Some owners are touchy that way..... I backed off, went clear round to the front again, came back trying to calm the dog. No dice. He was set on eating me for his lunch. I stood stock still for a couple minutes, tried tossing a stick for him to fetch... no change. Finally he realised I did not intend to enter the yard, but he wouuld not allow me to climb on the gate to shoot over it. Coming up close and shooting through the bars, same thing. OK, fine. After a bit, he backed up about 30 feet, sat down on his haunches, continuing his tirade but somewhat calmed. I tried to get him to move out of the frame, no luck. He was planted. Set up my shot, lifted the camera to shoot over the gate, clicked, and went on. In ten years, that was the ONLY photograph I ever submitted with a dog in it. In the foreground, angry look on his mug, barking, ears back.... I'm certain the owners knew why...... if not, its their problem anyway. Pretty funny...... now. He had my adrenaline pumping full on for a while.

If only we could mandate training for dog owners, it would make life for both the two and fourlegged much easier.

that's it precisely.. DOG OWNERS need to be trained.. either self-trained or professional trained. an owner who is not disciplined will never have a dog who is. And they just don't get it..........
Oh, your dog is SOOOO obedient. However did you train him? Lady, first I trained myself. Sorry....... that's how it is.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top