JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess that means your also forbidden from filling out a non-exempt tax stamp application, paying your $200 and waiting to assemble your SBR once your tax stamp is approved... (for SBR parts aquired after 01/31), right?

So they not only made pistol braces into SBR's but also made construction of any new SBR after Jan. 31st illegal.

That makes sense. 🤣
You cannot have possession of a stock and a pistol that are not registered as an SBR. None of this is new. Stamp THEN stock.

Sorry to butt in on the circle jurk. Someone just posted a brace / short bbl upper combo ad . 2 sets of handguards, both with vertical foregrips. Why run a brace when you're just going to violate nfa with a vertical grip???
Last time this crap came along there were a lot of good deals flying around. Braces are just throwaway items now.

By that logic, any and everyone who have accumulated extra AR stocks, grips, etc for their rifles, who happen to also have AR pistols, are all violating Nfa laws by constructive possession?
Only if they are together. The atf guy said again today that for example if you had the firearm and the brace in the same drawer that could be constructive possession. Keep em separate.

An example from prince law blog:

constructive possession.JPG
Also re dates, atf must have said 10-15 times today it starts 1-31-23 (not may31) and the one in possession at that time is responsible. So don't try to sell a pistol with an attached brace now. Sell them in separate transactions. Another example is a pawn shop has a pistol with brace they took in inventory 2 months ago. They can not hand it back to the owner as is after 1-31, it's an Illegal sbr according to them. Another is ffl recieves a box he doesn't know what it is and opens it and it is a braced pistol. First lady said they need to surrender that to atf. Second guy corrected her and said they need to do any of the 5 options (one of which is surrender to atf). Yesterday they said they can separate the brace and pistol and return to manufacturer but they didn't mention that today which seemed to me more a function of the specific question asked (yesterday it was about returning to manufacturer I think I don't recall the Q).

Last Edited:
Lets go to the FAQ's that we all love so much ;)

23. CAN I POSSESS A PISTOL AND UNATTACHED "STABILIZING BRACE"? •
An NFA firearm need not be assembled to be regulated as such. Whether a person may be in constructive possession of an NFA firearm depends on the facts of a particular case.

The 'same drawer' thing is silly, they aren't going to Chaos Theory themselves together the way Christmas lights will tangle left alone in a box

An NFA firearm need not be assembled to be regulated as such. Whether a person may be in constructive possession of an NFA firearm depends on the facts of a particular case.

The 'same drawer' thing is silly, they aren't going to Chaos Theory themselves together the way Christmas lights will tangle left alone in a box
Indeed. Just thinking of all the times I walk past boxes of extra parts and stocks, under or on tables next to AR pistols and rifles for sale at gun shows in the past from non-FFLs...

The only thing that makes sense to me is the gubment extorting the gun owner to federally register guns that were previously unregistered. We all know what that leads to. If you want to take the bait of free permission, be my guest. All my tools are now the right length, so they can kiss my azz.

Makes no sense really, I would think that there would be way more raids on gun owners for having boxes of extra parts and rifle lowers anywhere near AR pistol uppers :rolleyes: and the media would absolutely be all over such raids saying this why we need stricter, expanded NFA :rolleyes:
they dont raid gun owners. Police raid drug houses , find piles of parts and the ATF or state cops pile on SBR charges. Standalone SBR charges happen at the federal level rarely. They are much more common at the state level.

Last Edited:
The only thing that makes sense to me is the gubment extorting the gun owner to federally register guns that were previously unregistered. We all know what that leads to. If you want to take the bait of free permission, be my guest. All my tools are now the right length, so they can kiss my azz.
Been patiently waiting for this opportunity for 6+ months.

Of course it's silly. But specific examples given in public ATF "training" videos gives us an idea what their boundaries are. If they specifically state something like that then that gives us info for what they consider constructive possession (that panel on that date anyway ha ha). Whether a person cares or changes their behavior or whatever is a totally separate matter though I suppose.

Last Edited:
Of course it's silly. But specific examples given in public ATF "training" videos gives us an idea what their boundaries are. If they specifically state something like that then that gives us info for what they consider constructive possession (that panel on that date anyway ha ha). Whether a person cares or changes their behavior or whatever is a totally separate matter.
I had a 2 hour "interview" with an ATF agent in my home today. I got an earful about it

Yep it certainly seems like the goal is to get the max the number of registrations. Seems like in addition to waiving the tax they loosened up on some of the other barriers as well (as wired said in a post above a couple pages back) to get max # of registered firearms.

Yep it certainly seems like the goal is to get the max the number of registrations. Seems like in addition to waiving the tax they loosened up on some of the other barriers as well (as wired said in a post above a couple pages back) to get max # of registered firearms.
It could certainly bite the Feds in their bloated butts, if they disclose that over 10 million applications have been submitted by end of 120 days window... the District Court judges in the lawsuits could certainly cite both Heller and Caetano and overturn portions of the NFA (specifically SBR, maybe silencers) with orders to the ATF to destroy records... but that's still a long shot because again, there's over 2.1 million registered silencers and every time a bill is introduced or reintroduced to remove just the silencers (Hearing Protection Act); it dies because a mass casualty event happens or something horrific happens :rolleyes: lawsuits and also a couple bills to repeal parts of the NFA have been introduced today and during last few weeks, this should be interesting :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top