JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They dont actually run them. Theyre just held on file if anything happens later and they need evidence..

I dont admit to transgressions concerning firearms unless the statute of limitations has passed but my prints are sometimes...poor.
It looks like with the EFT file that they noted Recd on the cover letter. Since this batch was all ARs', I am thinking I will see if this worked. I mean, I doubt I will get my stamp in 4 months.

It looks like with the EFT file that they noted Recd on the cover letter. Since this batch was all ARs', I am thinking I will see if this worked. I mean, I doubt I will get my stamp in 4 months.
Does the efiling give you any confirmation when you upload the digital fingerprints? Or is it visible as an attachment (or whatever) on their site as you do the efile? If so that should be good enough i would think.

Does the efiling give you any confirmation when you upload the digital fingerprints? Or is it visible as an attachment (or whatever) on their site as you do the efile? If so that should be good enough i would think.
It gives you confirmation that the package is good and displays your name and birthdate from the file

What's the best way to measure weight? Is a bathroom scale adequate?
I would use a postal scale, if you have access to one, but a bathroom scale will likely get you in the ballpark. If it's close to the wire then I would go back to the postal scale idea for more accuracy.

Bathroom scale you want to weigh yourself, weigh yourself again holding your firearm then do the math. Weighing it alone on the scale would give you the most inaccuracy. If it's a digital it shouldn't be "too" off, but the mechanical types don't do well at all without a substansive load.

For the fingerprint cards or EFT files? Should be enough. I don't see firearm weight required. Edited FWIW; I didn't have to enter weight of firearm when I did mine
He may be just trying to establish the weight within the prerequisite weights for filing criteria. I'm guessing.

He may be just trying to establish the weight within the prerequisite weights for filing criteria. I'm guessing.
The only issue I can see is that they don't list an objective weight limit. Just a subjective phrase of "similar/consistent with a rifle design" :rolleyes: the lightest AR rifles I know of are around 4-5 pounds.. the standard 16" Carbines with collapsible stocks are about 6 pounds. The XM177E1 is 5.35 pounds with a 10" barrel.

An AR pistol that just so happens to be within a pound or so of the XM177E1 SBR/SMG might still be called a SBR without the brace :rolleyes:

I'm trying to see if I can get the high score!

I'll print out a screen shot of the eform and give it a look-see, but I had thought I would need to include weight with all the hubbub of the new rules. I have a moral objection to paying $200, even if it isn't much now, it was purposefully cost prohibitive in 1934.

I'm trying to see if I can get the high score!

I'll print out a screen shot of the eform and give it a look-see, but I had thought I would need to include weight with all the hubbub of the new rules. I have a moral objection to paying $200, even if it isn't much now, it was purposefully cost prohibitive in 1934.
length, yes, weight, no I think I have done 8 of these in the last few weeks

The more I look into this, the more I realize it's stupid simple...
One note re photos to think about. I have heard in the past and on virtual thing they say it has to meet the rule to get tax forebearance. If it doesn't meet the rule it will be denied. So even though the instructions say you only need serial # photo, if you include part of firearm with brace in photo(s) then it's hard for them to say it doesn't meet the rule. They may be satisfied with the "what is on the application is true, subject to penalties of perjury" but I wonder if they will come back and ask for more pics or deny if can't shows it meets the rule? Such denial may come well after the amnesty period is over. Not saying they will do that but it might save potential problems. I've seen fed employees with a stack of work look for ways they can throw something out so they don't have to deal with that application. Pretty common actually.

One note re photos to think about. I have heard in the past and on virtual thing they say it has to meet the rule to get tax forebearance. If it doesn't meet the rule it will be denied. So even though the instructions say you only need serial # photo, if you include part of firearm with brace in photo(s) then it's hard for them to say it doesn't meet the rule. They may be satisfied with the "what is on the application is true, subject to penalties of perjury" but I wonder if they will come back and ask for more pics or deny if can't shows it meets the rule? Such denial may come well after the amnesty period is over. Not saying they will do that but it might save potential problems. I've seen fed employees with a stack of work look for ways they can throw something out so they don't have to deal with that application. Pretty common actually.
For what it's worth, I haven't read of anyone getting requests from the ATF for additional photos of their braced firearms so far. @wired , @Wombat of Doom , have you gotten such requests yet?

Edit there is also the potential "issue" of using/reusing the same 1 brace on 4 or 5 separate short barreled firearms with the fitting buffer tubes and thus even with photographic "proof" its still on them to prove you didn't do that :rolleyes:

I recorded the training fo rthe late session. It's a differnt set of questions than the other session. now I wish I had recorded all four sessions Q and A part. Oh well.

For what it's worth, I haven't read of anyone getting requests from the ATF for additional photos of their braced firearms so far. @wired , @Wombat of Doom , have you gotten such requests yet?

Edit there is also the potential "issue" of using/reusing the same 1 brace on 4 or 5 separate short barreled firearms with the fitting buffer tubes and thus even with photographic "proof" its still on them to prove you didn't do that :rolleyes:
No and I doubt any will be forthcoming.

I had all different braces. (and a couple from guns I did not have braced, lying in a parts bin, from guns I sold) Mine have very few duplicate styles and colors. (I think 2 had the same style and color, but are actually separate braces owned.

Might have been covered and I missed it, but can you still do transfers of braced pistols? Buddy looking to purchase one and asked. It is a private transfer through a local shop. Any reason it can't be done?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top