JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only 47% of Americans have jobs.

Kinda confused by the math here. If unemployment is officially at 9.1% and even if you assume a large number off the system, for 47% to be out of work the number, based on a working age population of 237 million ( latest US Census data), would seem to be 111 million and change.....not buying that number.

Just my own prediction, but I think that we might have another chance to get some gold cheaper. Even though gold is going to be going higher, I believe it will drop somewhat before it does. My reason for such thinking? As I watch the financial mess unraveling in Europe, it leads me to believe that there will be gold positions sold in order to try to stabilize things. The process of this attempted stabilization will require money, and so things will get sold off to raise the money. Price of gold is likely to drop because of this. When that happens, you will hear a lot of talking heads and analysts declare the gold bull market to be over and that it was a bubble. They will be wrong.
IMO Gold should swing down and then back up (3 steps forward, 2 steps back) several times as TPTB raise the futures margin requirements in an effort to suppress the price.

As I have done for some time, I will BTFD on PMs. YMMV.

When that happens, you will hear a lot of talking heads and analysts declare the gold bull market to be over and that it was a bubble. They will be wrong.

Even after 10 years the idiot talking heads (who didn't see or acknowledge the pm bull) are still top-calling. Man I hate those useless S*Bs.

Kinda confused by the math here. If unemployment is officially at 9.1% and even if you assume a large number off the system, for 47% to be out of work the number, based on a working age population of 237 million ( latest US Census data), would seem to be 111 million and change.....not buying that number.
In my household, I have 5. I'm the only one with full living wage employment. From that example, your number of 111million may be small...

I'm just guessing here....but if you include all the people who aren't eligible to work, or don't wish to work, you could see how almost half the people that live in this country don't have jobs.

You figure almost zero kids between the ages of 0-13 have a job. Then young adults aged 14-24 maybe only 25% of them are employed (guessing). Then you figure most of the people age 65+ do not have a job. That is before you add in all of the stay at home moms and intentional single income families out there. When you add in official unemployment of about 9% and unofficial unemployment of at least double that....the numbers might start to add up to somewhere near 47%...

Where can I buy PMs in the Portland area?

Alder Gold Exchange.

121 SW Morrison Suite # 127
Portland, OR 97204-3114
(503) 222-3492

I have bought from them twice. They are located in the ground floor of the Bank of America tower, downtown. They charge just slightly more over spot than APMEX.com charges....but of course, you don't have to pay any shipping or credit card fees. And as a little bonus it's a cash transaction with no questions asked and no paper trail....if that sorta thing is important to you. Just saving the money is worth it to me, though.

I bought a few ounces of silver at $39 an ounce and figured that I saved about $16 over what I would have paid for the same purchase (with shipping and fees) at apmex.com That is even after paying for parking ($2) and gas ($5). If your time is worth more than that to you, and you don't really care about a paper trail etc. then you can just buy online at apmex.com They are a reputable online dealer, and I've bought from them 3 times now.

hope this helps!

Last Edited:
I'm just guessing here....but if you include all the people who aren't eligible to work, or don't wish to work, you could see how almost half the people that live in this country don't have jobs.

You figure almost zero kids between the ages of 0-13 have a job. Then young adults aged 14-24 maybe only 25% of them are employed (guessing). Then you figure most of the people age 65+ do not have a job. That is before you add in all of the stay at home moms and intentional single income families out there. When you add in official unemployment of about 9% and unofficial unemployment of at least double that....the numbers might start to add up to somewhere near 47%...
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the seasonally adjusted number of US Citizens 16 and over employed in August was 139,627,000. You can check it yourself at Databases, Tables & Calculators by Subject

The official unemployment rate is a number that is massaged for political purposes and the method of calculation changes with nearly every presidential administration. If the unemployment rate today were calculated just the same as it was calculated during the Great Depression, the rate would probably be in the mid 20s.

If the unemployment rate today were calculated just the same as it was calculated during the Great Depression, the rate would probably be in the mid 20s.

Which is exactly what it was during the Great Depression. Personally, I think we're there. The "felt" difference is all the added gov't employes, and the massive deficits which are temporarily making things "feel" better, but there's an end to it.

A few days back Gauleiter Bloomberg predicted riots in the streets if the Fedgov Monster (Steppenwolf, c. 1970) doesn't start creating jobs by the bucketfull. 2 observations: 1) The Monster doesn't create jobs. The best it can do is stop preventing job creation. 2) The Free S**t Army isn't interested in getting a job. They are used to the Monster filling the trough and they keep voting Democrat. When the Govt finally runs out of other peoples' money and the pipe filling the public trough ceases to gush, they are going to be p*ssed off. How dare the Productive cease to support the Indolent? The populaton centers that produced the Obama voters will look like recent events in Londonistan, except that it will last a lot longer. A lady I know asked her financial advisor about the best investments for current conditions - The answer: canned goods and ammo.

The whole idea of silver or gold is to diversify into something other then paper. Don't put all your eggs into one basket because you need a little of everything to get by. A common sense to the problem is to put away as much silver and gold as you can afford without hurting yourself financially. Put away what ever it takes to survive a natural disaster for several months and don't get crazy over it. Thats all a person can do. Be prepared but don't be crazy.

I agree.
But in a disaster (any) lasting longer than month >>>>> or so our paper money will be worthless.
We will not get any help from our gov. we all know that.
In a matter of days gangs will over run the cities.
If you have enough food / water to last you 4-5 months or longer you will have to protected.

Here we go. As I've predicted, gold is going down.
We have selling going on because of the need to raise cash by individuals and other entities.

I still shake my head when I hear some people say that people are going to cash or into US bonds for safety. Safety? Really? I guess stupidity has no limits.

Here we go. As I've predicted, gold is going down.
We have selling going on because of the need to raise cash by individuals and other entities.

I still shake my head when I hear some people say that people are going to cash or into US bonds for safety. Safety? Really? I guess stupidity has no limits.

I did sell some PMs when it topped around $1900 because a couple of my favorite people I read predicted a correction. I'm buying again.

As I told my wife, even if gold goes to $500, at least we have something, which can't be assured with the dollar or bonds.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top