JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) "Very few people have a natural chemical imbalance that consistently afflicts them with depression."
Depression can have any number of causes. Back in the 90s I had issues with it and finally listened to my doc when he suggested Amitriptyline. He told me not to expect any immediate improvement - it might take a couple of weeks. The 1st day I woke up and the birds were singing and the sun was shining. That indicates to me a chemical imbalance.

2) Menopausal women are probably pretty low on the threat scale compared to people who are drugged into insensibility to keep their violent tendencies under control.

Did you read the article? Do you believe that women later in life can regulate their own hormones through acts of personal responsibility? Do you expect that laypersons can understand the underlying biological mechanisms which make them feel terrible, and be able to distinguish a doctor's incorrect decision to prescribe antidepressants, from the hormone therapy which should be chosen, particulaly when many physicians, GPs in particular, lack the abilty themselves?
I understand that mankind as a species has dealt with living life for thousands and of years before modern pharmaceuticals were available as they are today from a simple trip to the doctor. I understand that in the western world especially, the most medicated society there is, a lot of people happily look to a pill to solve problems that could be solved without them with simple diet, exercise and some simple healthier lifestyle choices/changes. I understand that people in general are lazy, often seeking the easiest solution even when it is not the best, or even close to the best.

And yes, I do expect a "lay-person" to exercise the slightest degree of aptitude to use that mobile computer they all have to do the tiniest amount of research to find helpful solutions to their emotional/chemical state instead of only using it to waste hours of their life on social media (something that has statistically proven to lead people to feel depressed).

1) "Very few people have a natural chemical imbalance that consistently afflicts them with depression."
Depression can have any number of causes. Back in the 90s I had issues with it and finally listened to my doc when he suggested Amitriptyline. He told me not to expect any immediate improvement - it might take a couple of weeks. The 1st day I woke up and the birds were singing and the sun was shining. That indicates to me a chemical imbalance.

2) Menopausal women are probably pretty low on the threat scale compared to people who are drugged into insensibility to keep their violent tendencies under control.
One thing I learned is the limbic system is responsible for those fight/flight/freeze survival doses of neurochemicals and when a person is constantly stresses for one reason or another, those chemicals are dumped to help that one cope. The problem is a limited amount of chemicals are available, and when depleted, the body naturally goes into a depression mode until such a time as those chems can be replenished. If a person does not eat well and get enough sleep that process takes a long time and depression lingers.

So you mat be in the small category of people who may naturally have one, but you may have also simply been involved in a lot of stuff that was bringing you down and the chemical boost may have helped you to maintain a happier outlook despite those same external factors.

A family member of mine had severely debilitating OCD, seemingly manifested itself from childhood trauma. Chemicals helped level them out and when they have tried to scale back the prescription they found it was less successful, so I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate benefits for some people to get help chemically, but I am saying that the US is the most medicated country in the world and seemingly a lot of people could do without them.

There was an interesting study done on the effects of menopause on women worldwide. They found that cultures who view aging as bad also experience the worst symptoms. Cultures who see age as a good thing did not see the symptoms. For instance, there is actually no word in the Japanese language that describes hot flashes. The study also found that cultures which ate a better diet also experienced far less dramatic symptoms, especially if foods contained higher estrogen (soy).

"If menopausal symptoms were due solely to hormone changes, symptoms would be homogeneous".

Really interesting stuff.

I understand that mankind as a species has dealt with living life for thousands and of years before modern pharmaceuticals were available as they are today from a simple trip to the doctor. I understand that in the western world especially, the most medicated society there is, a lot of people happily look to a pill to solve problems that could be solved without them with simple diet, exercise and some simple healthier lifestyle choices/changes. I understand that people in general are lazy, often seeking the easiest solution even when it is not the best, or even close to the best.

And yes, I do expect a "lay-person" to exercise the slightest degree of aptitude to use that mobile computer they all have to do the tiniest amount of research to find helpful solutions to their emotional/chemical state instead of only using it to waste hours of their life on social media (something that has statistically proven to lead people to feel depressed).
People live way longer than they used to.

Everyone can be an internet doctor for themselves. That works out great. I am going to send away for my home endocrinology kit shortly.

People live way longer than they used to.

Everyone can be an internet doctor for themselves. That works out great. I am going to send away for my home endocrinology kit shortly.
Sarcasm aside:

People live longer but depression is not as related to age as other illnesses with respect to people live longer and therefore we have more medical issues of that type. Cancer being a great example, a lot of people who get cancer in old age would have already died of other issues in previous centuries.

Internet search
"I feel depressed, what are some ways to help with that."

Sleep, typically more
Diet changes
Exercise habits
Lifestyle choices/changes

Trying any of those or a combination of several of those for a few weeks would likely fix the majority of all depression related doctor visits.

Sarcasm aside:

People live longer but depression is not as related to age as other illnesses with respect to people live longer and therefore we have more medical issues of that type. Cancer being a great example, a lot of people who get cancer in old age would have already died of other issues in previous centuries.

Internet search
"I feel depressed, what are some ways to help with that."

Sleep, typically more
Diet changes
Exercise habits
Lifestyle choices/changes

Trying any of those or a combination of several of those for a few weeks would likely fix the majority of all depression related doctor visits.
With all due respect... no. But I will be done with this so as not to disrupt the thread.

I drink too much caffeine. Tends to make me anxious. I suppose I'll need some Xanax. Xanax makes me drowsy, suppose I need some Ritalin.

Is a tummy sword considered a defensive weapon?.
No but this is…

E49A79F5-41BE-4AF6-9305-4E08FE4AF4EF.jpeg

So I get quoted and then I get blocked, must be that new way of adult correspondence popular with a particular political persuasion where if they can't make a good argument they just yell or leave.

So I get quoted and then I get blocked, must be that new way of adult correspondence popular with a particular political persuasion where if they can't make a good argument they just yell or leave.
...The same persuasion that endlessly undermines, ridicules, and destroys every institution of social support that human beings have relied on for their emotional well-being, for hundreds of years.

I drink too much caffeine. Tends to make me anxious. I suppose I'll need some Xanax. Xanax makes me drowsy, suppose I need some Ritalin.
If you take Ritalin you'll also need Phizer's Ritalout….however, in rare cases side effects could cause bloody bruising diarrhea and thoughts of suicide

If you take Ritalin you'll also need Phizer's Ritalout….however, in rare cases side effects could cause bloody bruising diarrhea and thoughts of suicide
South park did a great episode where they "tried an experimental treatment in Canada" which consisted of 4 kids acting like out of control brats followed up by a scientist coming into the room, smacking them upside the head and yelling at them very loudly to sit down and shut up. They all got back to their school work. I laughed real long at that one.

My experience has been, I go to a doctor for some issue(stomach, sleep, etc.) They ask a few questions and then prescribe me a low dose anti depressant that would surely help improve the issue I'm having. I decline to take the meds, mainly because I am not chronically depressed and depression was not why I came to see them.

How many other people may have went to the doctor for any number of reasons and decided to begin taking these drugs, because they trusted the recommendation of someone that is supposed to have your best interest at heart, even though they did not come complaining of depression?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top