JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does the idea of having gold as an alternative to currencies become obsolete?

• Yes, crypto will replace gold as the better alternative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both crypto and gold will be perceived as good alternatives

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • No, gold will remain as the better alternative

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Unknown

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^^
And that's called barter
In SHTF everything is up for grabs so if the seller wants a bag of ammo or a piece of gold or a stack of $100 bills so be it. Its a seller's market then. Of course, crypto currency , I imagine, just falls off the map. Who is going to take vapor-currency for anything? "5 Bitcoins for my pocket lint?
Nah, I think I'll keep the lint."

"Vaporware" Tell me you don't understand crypto without SAYING you don't understand crypto. Ironically going out of your way to use cash like fiat currency isn't baseless BY DESIGN. The only difference between cash and toilet paper is the shape and color. Fiat is garbage, you're being told it's valuable by the people who just printed 25% of all that's EVER EXISTED in our history in the last 5 years.

Hate to break it to you, but when SHTF, Gold wont be worth anything either. If sOcIeTy CoLlApSeS, There's not going to be some bandit overlord willing to trade you food so he can have your gold coins to make a throne, no ones going to be soldering semi conductor chips with gold and silver. Were going to be shooting each other then when we run out of powder, we'll be smacking each other with rocks as God intended (insert Shutter Island scene clip). If society and the world collapses, neither are gonna be worth anything, but that kind of cataclysmic event is highly unlikely. More likely that there's going to be not just internet for the rest of history, but more of it and EVERYWHERE. A decentralized, finite and anonymous currency that can't be manipulated, stolen by going door to door (THANKS FDR!) definitely has a place.

Guys, you CAN have both you know? And there's such thing as a hot wallet. Only R-tards buy and store their crypto on Coinbase. You keep all your valuables in a bank deposit box too? Actually, ya'll probably keep all your cash in a big safe instead of buried in several different mason jars spread out in the backyard.

"Vaporware" Tell me you don't understand crypto without SAYING you don't understand crypto. Ironically going out of your way to use cash like fiat currency isn't baseless BY DESIGN. The only difference between cash and toilet paper is the shape and color. Fiat is garbage, you're being told it's valuable by the people who just printed 25% of all that's EVER EXISTED in our history in the last 5 years.

Hate to break it to you, but when SHTF, Gold wont be worth anything either. If sOcIeTy CoLlApSeS, There's not going to be some bandit overlord willing to trade you food so he can have your gold coins to make a throne, no ones going to be soldering semi conductor chips with gold and silver. Were going to be shooting each other then when we run out of powder, we'll be smacking each other with rocks as God intended (insert Shutter Island scene clip). If society and the world collapses, neither are gonna be worth anything, but that kind of cataclysmic event is highly unlikely. More likely that there's going to be not just internet for the rest of history, but more of it and EVERYWHERE. A decentralized, finite and anonymous currency that can't be manipulated, stolen by going door to door (THANKS FDR!) definitely has a place.

Guys, you CAN have both you know? And there's such thing as a hot wallet. Only R-tards buy and store their crypto on Coinbase. You keep all your valuables in a bank deposit box too? Actually, ya'll probably keep all your cash in a big safe instead of buried in several different mason jars spread out in the backyard.
The big problem with your argument is you're ignoring the fact that cash is currently taken everywhere regardless of your opinion of it's value.
As for gold being valueless in SHTF: How do you know this? Have you been through an apocalypse that the rest of us missed? What is your experience on SHTF?
I ask this question every time these threads pop up, and nobody has ever given an answer.--- When, in the history of human civilization has gold not been valued?

The big problem with your argument is you're ignoring the fact that cash is currently taken everywhere regardless of your opinion of it's value.
As for gold being valueless in SHTF: How do you know this? Have you been through an apocalypse that the rest of us missed? What is your experience on SHTF?
I ask this question every time these threads pop up, and nobody has ever given an answer.--- When, in the history of human civilization has gold not been valued?
The same way you are sure that it WILL be valuable, what makes you think there's going to be a need, let a lone a DEMAND for precious metals when the world as you know it ends? We'd be more concerned about shelter and food than making some sick nose rings. That which can be asserted without evidence and be dismissed without evidence. I'm sure Mayans said the same thing about human sacrifices, Germanic tribes about wolf and bear pelts and some native islanders about shells of some sort. Its valuable until its not. I guess when it's not you can shake your fist at the sky and try to beat off the marauders with the gold bricks, then maybe your hands if you're persuasive enough.

Last Edited:
Yeahh.. No
Unless you're looking for a barter economy. Money is the exchange medium of choice. The cost of the goods and services may rise or fall, but money is how it will be paid for.
Under the table trades will always be with us,of course, but the vast majority of transactions will be paid in some sort of tender.
For forget with hyper inflation many won't be able to pay for goods with money or precious metals. Currency rises and falls and could be eventually worth nothing. Where as the goods sold and services provided will always have value. Bartering services for good will be king if the world's economy's go to crap. But that's just my opinion.

For forget with hyper inflation many won't be able to pay for goods with money or precious metals. Currency rises and falls and could be eventually worth nothing. Where as the goods sold and services provided will always have value. Bartering services for good will be king if the world's economy's go to crap. But that's just my opinion.
For folks whom have excess goods, and/or services other folks want? Sure.

I doubt most folks of today would be able, let alone willing to split and stack rounds for 12 hours. For say a trade of a 1/2 pt of honey, a 1/2 lb of rice, corn meal & oats, plus 6 eggs (food for that day, plus a few more days)...

6 days of honest labor? Sun up to sundown? Bonus up. QT of honey, 5 lbs rice, corn meal & oats 4 dz eggs. All the clean water they want, while working.

No room. No board.

For folks whom have excess goods, and/or services other folks want? Sure.

I doubt most folks of today would be able, let alone willing to split and stack rounds for 12 hours. For say a trade of a 1/2 pt of honey, a 1/2 lb of rice, corn meal & oats, plus 6 eggs (food for that day, plus a few more days)...

6 days of honest labor? Sun up to sundown? Bonus up. QT of honey, 5 lbs rice, corn meal & oats 4 dz eggs. All the clean water they want, while working.

No room. No board.
Your absolute right. I was only thinking in terms of myself. And not the general public. I stand corrected

The same way you are sure that it WILL be valuable, what makes you think there's going to be a need, let a lone a DEMAND for precious metals when the world as you know it ends? We'd be more concerned about shelter and food than making some sick nose rings. That which can be asserted without evidence and be dismissed without evidence. I'm sure Mayans said the same thing about human sacrifices, Germanic tribes about wolf and bear pelts and some native islanders about shells of some sort. Its valuable until its not. I guess when it's not you can shake your fist at the sky and try to beat off the marauders with the gold bricks, then maybe your hands if you're persuasive enough.
You have failed to answer the one question. When has has there been a time when gold or silver NOT been valued. When the Black Plague killed 10s of millions of people, PMs was still valued. When Genghis Khan, Attila, Tamerlane and barbarian hordes all threatened to end western civilization, gold and silver kept their value. So my evidence is called 5000 years of history. What is your evidence to the contrary?
One more question. Assuming you know this is a firearms forum, why do you presume that PMs are the only tool in my EOTWAKI kit?

You have failed to answer the one question. When has has there been a time when gold or silver NOT been valued. When the Black Plague killed 10s of millions of people, PMs was still valued. When Genghis Khan, Attila, Tamerlane and barbarian hordes all threatened to end western civilization, gold and silver kept their value. So my evidence is called 5000 years of history. What is your evidence to the contrary?
One more question. Assuming you know this is a firearms forum, why do you presume that PMs are the only tool in my EOTWAKI kit?
Because those aren't end of the world events. You're talking regime changes and THREATS to end civilization, I'm talking about the end of the wild as we know it. Sorry, they're not comparable. One is dire, one is cataclysmic.

I'm pointing at the moon and you're looking at my finger.

Tangible vs whatever the hell crypto is supposed to be? I'll take gold every time. The internet can't crash my gold. It can't steal it, it can't hide it and it can't devalue it overnight with nothing to show for it.

Because those aren't end of the world events. You're talking regime changes and THREATS to end civilization, I'm talking about the end of the wild as we know it. Sorry, they're not comparable. One is dire, one is cataclysmic.

I'm pointing at the moon and you're looking at my finger.
Okay, then if it is the extinction level event you're worried about then you should realize that nothing matters then, not gold, not guns, not even.my 1st edition. Year 1 Upper Deck baseball card set with the Ken Griffey Jr rookie card will matter and in that case, this entire argument is utterly pointless. We're all dead.
In any case less than the complete and utter annihilation of humanity l stand by what I've said.
Since you brought up the Mayas or Azteca earlier, consider this: Those civilizations were completely isolated from Europe, Africa and Asia for millennia and yet they too demonstrated that they valued gold and silver too.
Perhaps its a human condition to desire it.

Last Edited:
If it's extinction level we're talking about, those thousands of networked computers that keep crypto "safe" will be crashed and burned. If a person is lucky enough to survive that, they'll need tangible items of value to barter with. Not trying to count on their inop smartphone or laptop to survive.

Crypto offers nothing tangible. It's not backed by anything either. It can be hacked and stolen with zero consequences. And frankly, it's complicated to fully understand for most average people. Read this article, I'm fairly tech savvy and I get lost in the weeds reading it.

Okay, then if it is the extinction.level event you're worried about then you should realize that nothing matters then, not gold, not guns, not even.my 1st edition. Year 1 Upper Deck baseball card set with the Ken Griffen Jr rookie card will matter and in that case, this entire argument is utterly pointless. We're all dead.
In any case less than the complete and utter annihilation of humanity l stand by what I've said.
Since you brought up the Mayas or Azteca earlier, consider this: Those civilizations were completely isolated from Europe, Africa and Asia for millennia and yet they too demonstrated that they valued gold and silver too.
Perhaps its a human condition to desire it.
Regardless we're all dead anyway under any circumstance. Guns and ammo will prolong the inevitable, might even put food on the table whether it be animal or human. Gold will not have any value because there's no one at the top of the food chain in an ivory tower who needs a gold faucet or Agamemnon-esque burial mask.

If it's extinction level we're talking about, those thousands of networked computers that keep crypto "safe" will be crashed and burned. If a person is lucky enough to survive that, they'll need tangible items of value to barter with. Not trying to count on their inop smartphone or laptop to survive.

Crypto offers nothing tangible. It's not backed by anything either. It can be hacked and stolen with zero consequences. And frankly, it's complicated to fully understand for most average people. Read this article, I'm fairly tech savvy and I get lost in the weeds reading it.

Gold will be worth nothing because all the humans who value it would be dead too. Im talking about back to square one end of the world as we know it, not entirely. If you think crypto isn't backed by anything, I have some bad news for you about fiat currencies. Cash and money in your bank account can also be hacked or stolen with impunity. It's really not complicated when you set aside the concept of paper money backed only by a promise that it's value is stable because they're not going to print more....oh wait. Something is only worth what someone else will trade you for it.

Gold will be worth nothing because all the humans who value it would be dead too. Im talking about back to square one end of the world as we know it, not entirely. If you think crypto isn't backed by anything, I have some bad news for you about fiat currencies. Cash and money in your bank account can also be hacked or stolen with impunity. It's really not complicated when you set aside the concept of paper money backed only by a promise that it's value is stable because they're not going to print more....oh wait. Something is only worth what someone else will trade you for it.
Yeah I never mentioned cash because of its deficiencies. And if it's TRULY end of days stuff, WYF does any of this matter? We'll all be dead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top