JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving back down to Portland this year, and I've been spoiled by the excellent free gun ranges provided by the cities up here. Back when I used to live down there, I went pit shooting, but I'm sick of the trash, the drive, and the other shooters with HORRIBLE gun safety discipline.

I already did the Google search, but I trust the opinions of the members of this forum more than I do Google and Yelp reviews.

What are your favorite (and least favorite) indoor ranges in the Portland area? What makes your range better than the others?

Thank you,
Jordan

A place to shoot in Delta park, off I-5 and near the WA border is very expensive.

Their ammo, target's etc.

I'm sure someone will mention Safe Fire in Camas and I haven't been there but I've heard it's a little nicer and reasonable but still spendy for my tastes.

Everything's else I'm not sure about.

Might help if you gave us a general idea where your residence will be as the east and west sides of PDX can be quite a drive.

Someone here can verify, but Safe Fire is something like $20 an hour plus a buck or two for a target. You can use your own ammo, though. Very clean, very well run. A bit out of the way unless you're in Clark County. If I was taking my wife shooting for the first time, that's where I would go, if that gives you an idea.

I have to agree, Safe Fire has been great!

I haven't been to Threat Dynamics yet, but I've been meaning to check them out for some time now since they are a little bit closer.

Last Edited:
"Johnson Creek Gun Club" How to Join
It's rather small, 10 lanes. Hand gun only, except .22 rim fire rifle allowed. No magnum allowed. You must shoot at 50'. Targets are cheap. Use your own ammo. It's a friendly place, but can get a bit smokey when crowded.

Clackamas County Sheriff's Dept has a pistol range open to the public. Their building is on the east side of 82nd just a bit before merging on to I205. Last time I shot there, a couple of years ago, it was $16 a head and you had to buy your ammo from them on site.

Clackamas County Sheriff's Dept has a pistol range open to the public. Their building is on the east side of 82nd just a bit before merging on to I205. Last time I shot there, a couple of years ago, it was $16 a head and you had to buy your ammo from them on site.

Yes, and they also have semi limited open to the public time if I recall.

Yeah helps to know where you will be close to.

The clackamas county range off Sunnybrook is pretty nice.

I've been to Safefire a couple times. And it's a really nice indoor range. The employees are great and friendly.
I enjoy going there.

I've shot at 2 place in the area, Beavercreek Armory in Hillsboro and Threat Dynamics in Sherwood.

TD was my go to place last year but this year they changed their rules to not allow you to use your own ammo unless you're a high tier member and you must buy their targets. So I'm done with that place. It's a nice facility if you want to pay for it.

Beavercreek is a handgun or .2LR only place. They have a surcharge on ammo you bring and you have to buy their targets. Shooting places up here kinda suck.

Both ranges do have track systems for target holders.

English Pit, aka Clark County Gun Club, off the 205 in WA is not bad for an outdoor range if there's nowhere else to go. It's a bit on the low end side but for $20, what to expect.

Safefire in Camas is very nice. If you wait for summer they may have a 3 month unlimited deal for $100. My wife and I used that last summer with no regrets.

I've never felt unsafe at either of these two places.

Even though we are members at Clark Rifles, when my wife wants a real good handgun session we'll pay for a Safefire day.

Place to Shoot in Delta Park is expensive. Not that anything worth having in life is free or even cheap, I just don't see a value there, and I'm 5 minutes away without traffic.

Ditto on Johnson Creek. You don't have to buy their ammo, you can come and go as you please and it's very affordable. It's pistol only and in non magnum loads. The exception for rifles is 22LR. Been a member for about 7 or 8 years now. It's a bit of a hike from Beaverton but it's an awesome when I need to take a break.

Ditto on Johnson Creek. You don't have to buy their ammo, you can come and go as you please and it's very affordable. It's pistol only and in non magnum loads. The exception for rifles is 22LR. Been a member for about 7 or 8 years now. It's a bit of a hike from Beaverton but it's an awesome when I need to take a break.
Do you know what they charge for non members? Also, do you have to buy their ammo?

Do you know what they charge for non members? Also, do you have to buy their ammo?

They are a totally private club you have to be a member or a guest of a member, they don't sell anything other than targets and those are just on a honor system (on a table with a collection box).

There is nobody on site you let yourself in and out with a rfid card.

They are a totally private club you have to be a member or a guest of a member, they don't sell anything other than targets and those are just on a honor system (on a table with a collection box).

There is nobody on site you let yourself in and out with a rfid card.

This place is about 10 mins from me. It sounds like a no BS membership. Once you pay your dues, thats it cost-wise? You dont have to pay anything else when you shoot or bring a guest? Reading their web page makes me think there are no extra fees. Reason I ask is several other gun clubs ive looked at tell you to pay a large lump sum amount and then a small amount every time you visit.

Nevermind, found my answer.

Rule 16

Screenshot_20180331-074101.png

I'm moving back down to Portland this year, and I've been spoiled by the excellent free gun ranges provided by the cities up here. Back when I used to live down there, I went pit shooting, but I'm sick of the trash, the drive, and the other shooters with HORRIBLE gun safety discipline.

I already did the Google search, but I trust the opinions of the members of this forum more than I do Google and Yelp reviews.

What are your favorite (and least favorite) indoor ranges in the Portland area? What makes your range better than the others?

Thank you,
Jordan

You can try our Review System for suggestions. Go here and click the Indoor Range box, then zoom in to your location on the map.

Oregon Reviews | Northwest Firearms - Oregon, Washington, and Idaho Gun Owners

I used the Clackamas Sheriff range when I lived up that way. It's been a few years since I have been there but it was a great pistol range. You have to use their ammo (if they have it in stock) but they weren't horrible on most calibers. Hours can be a little limiting.

"Johnson Creek Gun Club" How to Join
It's rather small, 10 lanes. Hand gun only, except .22 rim fire rifle allowed. No magnum allowed. You must shoot at 50'. Targets are cheap. Use your own ammo. It's a friendly place, but can get a bit smokey when crowded.
I've been thinking about getting a membership Johnson Creek. Threat Dynamics and Clackamas County are top tier facilities, but expensive with range fees and buying their ammo. Can folks that have been to Johnson Creek expand on how smokey it gets? Seems that could be a sign of insufficient ventilation for an indoor range. Thanks.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top