JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for an indoor range for pistol shooting that's not too far from me. (NE Sandy @ 148th Ave. Sort of near the Glendoveer Golf Course). Looking for a place that's clean, doesn't charge for ammo inspections or has any other silly additional fees, has good customer service, and is open to the public. A preference would be that they allow double or triple taps, or they have no rule about how fast you can fire at all.

I've researched a bunch but I keep seeing a trend where they charge a fee to inspect your ammo, and some places you have to buy their ammo. I get that they don't want people sneaking in ammo they don't allow but I don't think there should be a fee for checking it. The Place to Shoot Charges $5 per 50 rounds. I will shoot at least 200 rds per session so that's an extra $20. There is a review that claims they were charged but no one ever inspected their ammo. Not a place for me.

The only place I have found that fits my needs is Safe Fire in Camas which is about the furthest I want to drive (20-25 min). Anyone been there before?

Anyone have any recommendations for a shooting range that's in NE PDX or close by?

I've been shooting outdoors mostly since I moved here two years ago. I went to English Pit once and liked it but I don't like shooting in 80+ degree weather so I'd like to find a nice indoor range.

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding shooting ranges. I think I'm getting old or something.

Thanks in advance.

I've been to Safe Fire to rent a P365XL. I'm generally not a fan of indoor ranges, but If I find myself in need of using one in the future, Safe Fire would be at the top of the list.
Nicest indoor range in the area that I have been to - highly recommended. They also allow you to police your brass that is behind the firing line and if you ask the RSO will sweep some back from in front of the line as well.

Check out Portland Pistol & Rifle Club. Within 15 min from you. Same area as me. This is a simple indoor shooting range with manual hand-crank targets. Very inexpensive to shoot there bring your own stuff or buy their targets 3/.25. Handgun, 22 lr rifle, and airgun only. No large caliber rifles. The only cost is annual membership is also inexpensive.

I'm looking for an indoor range for pistol shooting that's not too far from me. (NE Sandy @ 148th Ave. Sort of near the Glendoveer Golf Course). Looking for a place that's clean, doesn't charge for ammo inspections or has any other silly additional fees, has good customer service, and is open to the public. A preference would be that they allow double or triple taps, or they have no rule about how fast you can fire at all.

I've researched a bunch but I keep seeing a trend where they charge a fee to inspect your ammo, and some places you have to buy their ammo. I get that they don't want people sneaking in ammo they don't allow but I don't think there should be a fee for checking it. The Place to Shoot Charges $5 per 50 rounds. I will shoot at least 200 rds per session so that's an extra $20. There is a review that claims they were charged but no one ever inspected their ammo. Not a place for me.

The only place I have found that fits my needs is Safe Fire in Camas which is about the furthest I want to drive (20-25 min). Anyone been there before?

Anyone have any recommendations for a shooting range that's in NE PDX or close by?

I've been shooting outdoors mostly since I moved here two years ago. I went to English Pit once and liked it but I don't like shooting in 80+ degree weather so I'd like to find a nice indoor range.

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding shooting ranges. I think I'm getting old or something.

Thanks in advance.
Safe fire is the only range I've been to where they havent gotten pissy about mag dumping so long as youre staying on target. But I've also only ever used 2 ranges, Safe fire and English pit.

What's wrong with wearing a hat and sunglasses. Plus drinking plenty of water. Oh, that's right, Portland.
If you're taking about shooting outdoors in the woods, I much prefer shooting outdoors in the woods. But the closest legal outdoor shooting spots to me are 45min to an hour. Sometimes I just need to check that my sights are on, or something else that I just need to test and don't have three or four hours. So I'm looking for a closer option for stuff like that.

Check out Portland Pistol & Rifle Club. Within 15 min from you. Same area as me. This is a simple indoor shooting range with manual hand-crank targets. Very inexpensive to shoot there bring your own stuff or buy their targets 3/.25. Handgun, 22 lr rifle, and airgun only. No large caliber rifles. The only cost is annual membership is also inexpensive.
I mostly shoot 9mm, 45acp, 44spl/mag, 5.56 and 7.62, sometimes 12 gauge. So that's not really what I'm looking for.

However, do they allow .25ACP pistols?

Safe fire is the only range I've been to where they havent gotten pissy about mag dumping so long as youre staying on target. But I've also only ever used 2 ranges, Safe fire and English pit.
Coming from CA , basically all the shooting ranges only allowed one shot every two seconds. Some allowed double taps, but they were the minority. I'm not necessarily looking to mag dump, but how are you supposed to improve your defensive shooting skills if you can't shoot fast?

If you're taking about shooting outdoors in the woods, I much prefer shooting outdoors in the woods. But the closest legal outdoor shooting spots to me are 45min to an hour. Sometimes I just need to check that my sights are on, or something else that I just need to test and don't have three or four hours. So I'm looking for a closer option for stuff like that.
What about getting a club membership like at Estacada, Mololla, Tri county or Douglas ridge? Covered firing points but still out doors. That's what I have down here and is very convenient for those test and tune days. I do prefer to shoot in the local BLM stock pile site when I want to bring multiple guns and make a day of it but for quick one or two gun testing the range can't be beat. I was just there today and saw 2 Deer and 5 Turkeys on the drive. So that was pretty cool as well.

What about getting a club membership like at Estacada, Mololla, Tri county or Douglas ridge? Covered firing points but still out doors. That's what I have down here and is very convenient for those test and tune days. I do prefer to shoot in the local BLM stock pile site when I want to bring multiple guns and make a day of it but for quick one or two gun testing the range can't be beat. I was just there today and saw 2 Deer and 5 Turkeys on the drive. So that was pretty cool as well.
I have thought of that and will likely join Estacada or DR. I signed up for Tri-county over a year ago, got confirmation I was on the wait list, and never heard from them again. I feel like they think they are exclusive elite and you should be lucky if you get a membership, so I'm not interested in them anymore (I've been there with a friend who is a member), I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.

But those locations are still a little far, 40 min or more, and for sure with traffic it works be well over an hour. However, these are advantages to a shooting club vs shooting in the woods.

Sure fire is only 20 minutes so I think that's the sure bet for pistols.

Tri County has an 18-24mo wait time if you are on the waitlist. They will contact you when you are getting close. The issue is their membership is capped, so after the membership renewals go out and then get processed, then they will know how many nee members they can add based off the attrition numbers.

If you want to practice defensive shooing as realistically as you can on a "square" range, Tri County and ARPC are going to be the best option. Tri County wil have you jump through some hoops to use their action bays (certification is required to use said bays) and ARPC does not require any additional training/certifications to use their bays. They even allow rifle's (AR's, AK's, etc in their bays too.

I'm currently a member at ARPC and it's an hour and 15min drive vs about 30min to TCGC. I'm no longer a member at TCGC, but I'd say it is the most well rounded range in the PDX area and beyond.

Douglas Ridge and ARPC are accepting applications with no waitlist as far as I know. As with almost everything in life, there are trade-offs. Having a club membership vs shooting at a public indoor range or shooting out in the "woods" is the best option for my needs. YMMV though.
Hope you can find a suitable place to shoot that meets your needs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top