JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been thinking about getting a membership Johnson Creek. Threat Dynamics and Clackamas County are top tier facilities, but expensive with range fees and buying their ammo. Can folks that have been to Johnson Creek expand on how smokey it gets. Seems that could be a sign of insufficient ventilation for an indoor range. Thanks.

A year and a half or so ago they installed a more efficient system. Still, if you go one a weekend when six or more lanes are active you'll notice the smoke more. It's the only range I've ever belonged to so I can't say how it compares really. I go early mornings on week days mostly and there's no issue as far as I'm concerned when there's four/five lanes going. Quite often members will stand around and chat about their guns/ammo/ etc. Generally too, if you get there and there's too many people on the line you can just wait in the lounge area until someone leaves. It usually doesn't take long. Look at the log book and if people have been there an hour it's likely someone will be leaving soon.

You might check with the club and see if they do an orientation without you having to pay first? They've changed since Wifey and I joined six/seven years ago. Back then they were a one on one orientation. Now they do group orientation.

You might check with the club and see if they do an orientation without you having to pay first? They've changed since Wifey and I joined six/seven years ago. Back then they were a one on one orientation. Now they do group orientation.
I was a member of JCGC up until 3 years ago when I let my membership lapse. I taught my son how to shoot there and now my daughters are pressing me to teach them how to shoot.
They are having an orientation this Thursday at noon. I'm scheduled for that time. The orientation is free and there's obviously no commitment to join.Unfortunately you are not allowed to try the range before joining unless you come as a guest of a member.

Unfortunately you are not allowed to try the range before joining unless you come as a guest of a member.

That makes sense I suppose.

At least you know what it's like before the orientation. If you can get in weekdays in the morning there's very seldom more than a couple of guys there. Sometimes you can be alone for an hour even.

I plan on living either in North Portland (Jantzen Beach area) or out towards Scappoose on HWY 30, but the distance doesn't bother me...I'm used to driving out to Memaloose or Brown's Camp so anything under 30 miles will be fine by me.

So far the Johnson Creek Gun Club seems like the general favorite? I'm aiming for a simple yearly membership where I can bring my own ammo and with no frills (I hate frills).

I plan on living either in North Portland (Jantzen Beach area) or out towards Scappoose on HWY 30, but the distance doesn't bother me...I'm used to driving out to Memaloose or Brown's Camp so anything under 30 miles will be fine by me.

So far the Johnson Creek Gun Club seems like the general favorite? I'm aiming for a simple yearly membership where I can bring my own ammo and with no frills (I hate frills).

I wouldn't say a favorite? It's a place you can shoot your tame handguns, it's relatively inexpensive, dry, warm and the people can be pretty friendly. This being "Portlandia" I'd say we're pretty lucky to have it, even with it's short comings. Something I forgot, no limit on how many times you can take a guest. Just have them read and sign the disclaimer. I think I heard that other pay ranges only allow a guest a certain amount of times per year?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top