JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I work at a local FFL and don't se this as any kind of a "deliberate delay." Any weekend there is a gun show in the state background checks take a little longer than usual. Combine a gun show weekend with the already busy holiday season plus add on top of that the buying hype that arrises anytime more weapon restrictions/bans etc are the primary focus of the media fueled by tragedies over the last few days and waboom! The state is swamped. When we submit back gound checks in the FICS system online it gives us a "position number" of our customer, just as if you grabbed a number at the DMV. Yesterday beginning around 1pm the average back ground check was taking approximately 2 hours for an approval/delay/denial decision to be given. The whole time you can watch your position number get closer to the top. They are working at but I'm sure they are under staffed since they can't plan for random acts of violence which ultimately drive people to "buy while they can." Around 7:30pm yesterday when things had wound down from the gun show background checks went back to around a 30 minute wait. If you want to buy a gun this weekend the best time would be as early as possible or as late as possible. Or, just wait until Monday. Remember most of the local shops have to pack up their display pistols and chain the long guns every night - So if your shop of choice closes at 8:00... If you come in at 7:50, as much as we'd like, we may not able to make a complete sale but as mentioned most places will let you pay for the firearm and come back at your convenience to fill out the 4473, back ground check and actually take the paid for gun home.

Thank you for the information. I aapreciate hearing from someone who would know more than my speculation.

If you buy a pistol at Fred Meyer and get delayed and the batf does'nt call back in a timely fashion... Fred Meyer will deny your gun purchace...At least up here in washington.

I bought an ar the night before last after 9 pm and it went smooth. That was prior to the CT shooting, but after the clackamas shooting. Its sure interesting timing for all of these "assault weapons"shootings. If i was a conspiracy theorist, i may be suspicious of a underground program similar to, but much worse than fast and furious.

1-3 hours is shorter than Black Friday 2 years ago. Also shorter than the weekend after Ob's first election. Sorry I'm not buying the stalling or deliberate delay theory out of Salem - I just don't think they are that organized that they could implement a new policy so quickly.

Everybody and their brother is out buying guns b/c they are concerned that we are on the cusp of new legislation. We've swamped the capacity of the NICS folks plain and simple.

1-3 hours is shorter than Black Friday 2 years ago. Also shorter than the weekend after Ob's first election. Sorry I'm not buying the stalling or deliberate delay theory out of Salem - I just don't think they are that organized that they could implement a new policy so quickly.

Everybody and their brother is out buying guns b/c they are concerned that we are on the cusp of new legislation. We've swamped the capacity of the NICS folks plain and simple.

Yep! Exactly - add to it the Mayan calendar ending next week :s0114:

Thanks!
I've got a feeling that purchasing firearms is gong to get even more expensive.
I'm guessing here, or at least trying to think like a typical politician. :s0112: but plan on a nation wide ban of face to face sales.
Every sale will have to go through an FFL.
It's one law that the Republicans would agree to since this last dark, and tragic action.

I agree with you- in state resident face to face sales are next. Not that I agree with that. I'll certainly be more careful on any face to face sales I'm involved with, especially as a seller.

So as an Oregon resident i could go into a gunstore in washington state and purchase a rifle or shotgun without a background check?? How does that work? I just show them my Oregon ID/DL and im good to go?
no - you do background check through the WA FFL... unless WA law has changed recently. I bought a rifle in WA through an FFL, but that was a year ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top