Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

PDX Gunshow this weekend.. background check backlog

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dobeman, Dec 14, 2012.

1. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

anyone else at the PDX gunshow today? Looks like the state background check system is swamped.. they were telling people they could make the purchase at the show, but would have to go to the shop(s) and pickup the gun and complete the background checks there. If it's like this the whole weekend, why go to the gunshow? maybe that's what's intended?

2. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

A co-worker of mine went to a local gunstore on his lunchbreak today to buy a revolver he has had on layaway for a couple of weeks, The store employee informed him that all background checks are being delayed from anywhere from 2hours up to 2days by OSP due to the recent 'shootings'

3. dobeman

gun control.

4. ShootFirst

ShootFirst Southern Oregon Active Member

Bought a gun last Monday took about 15 minutes

5. dobeman

yes, last monday.. anyone try yesterday or today?

6. lazerblazer

lazerblazer Portland Active Member

I went to a local gun store yesterday wait was hundreds of people before yours was processed so I jusr browsed.

Sent from my Galaxy Express!

7. ShootFirst

ShootFirst Southern Oregon Active Member

Wow what a difference a week makes, but hey Salem is making bank from all the applications :)

8. dobeman

I doubt it's a money grab by Salem... I agree with a poster above - it seem deliberate to put gun sales on hold - a mandated cooling down period of sorts, and state flexing it's gun control muscles.

9. james83

Yes thats the feeling i got from my co-worker when he told me about the delayed background checks, seems OSP are making people wait to show that they can.

10. james83

Also i think its strange that OSP would delay background checks because of recent 'shootings'

In both the tragic murders newtown and clackamas the murderers used guns stolen from friends and family, Perhaps people should take extra care and make sure guns are secure in a safe or if no safe is available at least remove a main part of the gun such as the bolt from a rifle and keep it in a seperate location (i know thats a different story but it was just a thought).

But it certainly seems to me that OSP are flexing their muscle with this whole delayed background check thing.

11. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I definitely agree, this seems like a deliberate delay by our friends in Salem. I was going to attend the Gun Show as well, but why bother if I cannot complete the process while there.

12. Mattofsmatt

Mattofsmatt Portland Member

Has anyone had their check go through today? At the last Wes Knodel Show, there was a wait of over an hour... with a line of about 75 people at Keith's booth alone. I'll bet today might be even busier. Last month things calmed down after about 2:30 pm... so maybe patience is the key here also?

13. james83

In Oregon there is only the state background check, you fill out the form at the ffl they call the check in to OSP, it costs $10 dollars and usually the background check is approved almost instantly and you can walk away with your new handgun, rifle or shotgun, Sometimes OSP will delay the transfare for a day or two but usually this wont happen.

My co-worker went to buy a handgun at an ffl yesterday and was told the background check would be delayed for two days because of the recent shootings, And i presume by shootings they meant the tragic murders in newtown and clackamas.

I personally do not know if its due to a spike in sales or if its just OSP showing that they can delay transfares. But my money would be on the latter of the two.

14. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

One other possibility is that they are examining the records more carefully to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks.

Last blip of a headline I saw was that the CT shooter had been denied on a rifle purchase the week of the shooting.

elsie

15. dobeman

re: the spike in sales... no. I was at the PDX gunshow last month. There was a wait at Keith's - that was a spike in sales, but I stood in line and watched the daughter run the backgrounds one by one on her computer.. they were going through. This weekend... they are stalled - the background checks. One poor dude kept checking at the table.. "sorry sir, you are still 100th in queue"... then at Keith's table, they told a guy he would have to come to Keith's shop in Gresham on Monday to complete the transaction and pick up the gun.

16. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

With portland being mostly liberal, I'm actually suprised that there isn't protesters at the gun show.

17. dobeman

I have to agree - that is very likely. I went browsing Friday, had my eye on a gun.. now, why bother. The seller is based out of Grant's Pass and I'm not driving to Grants Pass to pick up a rifle.

18. CWI guy

CWI guy Portland Member

Back round checks are taking about 1-3 hours at the show. We are extremely busy and many of the vendors are willing to have people pick up purchases tomorrow. BTW all the protesters went down to Salem where they should be protesting.

19. dobeman

so at least the backgrounds are going through, then, right? how many hotdogs can I eat in 1 - 3 hours... hmmmm....

20. 142

142 Rogue Valley Member

I work at a local FFL and don't se this as any kind of a "deliberate delay." Any weekend there is a gun show in the state background checks take a little longer than usual. Combine a gun show weekend with the already busy holiday season plus add on top of that the buying hype that arrises anytime more weapon restrictions/bans etc are the primary focus of the media fueled by tragedies over the last few days and waboom! The state is swamped. When we submit back gound checks in the FICS system online it gives us a "position number" of our customer, just as if you grabbed a number at the DMV. Yesterday beginning around 1pm the average back ground check was taking approximately 2 hours for an approval/delay/denial decision to be given. The whole time you can watch your position number get closer to the top. They are working at but I'm sure they are under staffed since they can't plan for random acts of violence which ultimately drive people to "buy while they can." Around 7:30pm yesterday when things had wound down from the gun show background checks went back to around a 30 minute wait. If you want to buy a gun this weekend the best time would be as early as possible or as late as possible. Or, just wait until Monday. Remember most of the local shops have to pack up their display pistols and chain the long guns every night - So if your shop of choice closes at 8:00... If you come in at 7:50, as much as we'd like, we may not able to make a complete sale but as mentioned most places will let you pay for the firearm and come back at your convenience to fill out the 4473, back ground check and actually take the paid for gun home.