JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could leave your gun in the car,Then next time you can leave your belief's in the car.it's a never ending cycle Once you gave an inch it's a mile the next time.Hope you can make the right choice. Family is important

I understand completely liberal, old country parents. I also understand the problem you face and it is not gun related. For your parents, this is a respect thing. They are the all wise, mature heads of the family and need to feel respected as the leaders. The problem they face is that they don't live in the old country anymore and the culture in this country is different and they have a hard time dealing with that.

As many others have expressed so well, you need to see your parents over the holidays. The issue will be how to avoid all of the liberal versus conservative discussions as well as the possession of a gun on their property thing. Here is how I handle it now and it seems to work for us. When a topic comes up that will start an arguement I let them win, it is their house afterall. I will say something like "I'm sure you're right" or "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that". If they won't let it go I'll say something like "this just isn't worth argueing over" and get up and physically leave the room. It was hard at first because I am just as strong in my convictions as they are but it is back to the respect thing, it is their house and they are my parents. Focus on what you can agree on and have a good time with family.

Now the other issue is the gun. My mother doesn't like them/is afraid of them and doesn't want them in her house. I respect that but I too am never without one so it stays in the car during the day and at night I retreive it and it sits next to me while I sleep. In the morning, I place it back in the car. My sons also respect the rules of the house and leave their guns in the car when they visit their grandmother. By leaving the gun in the car you could truthfully say to your mother or father that you did not bring your gun into their house (not that you're not going to but that you didn't). A fine line I suppose but they will feel better and you will have a comprimise that you can live with.

Relax, let them win and be royalty in their own home. You have options to compromise yet still feel secure in your ability protect yourself.

Go. Get a Motel room. Don't mention your carry gun and ask them politely not to bring up the issue.

I've lost both my mother and father when I was still in my early 30s. I miss my dad so much that it brings a tear to my eye just to write this post.
You only get one Family. Love or hate what they believe in, you love them and they love you.

I would rather have you disarm yourself, leaving your gun in the car, than turn your back on the your family, no matter HOW wrong they are on this issue. You don't get a second chance at being an adult with your parents. they will be dead very soon. Sooner than you think. That will be the saddest day of your life. Let the days from now until then be as much filled with love as you can make them.

I say this again as someone who's lost his parents and sorely misses them. Dad and I came to an agreement to disagree ocer guns. But fortunately, it had been only a couple of days between when we had last said "I love you" and when he died. (It was sudden.) I thank God that no political nonsense ever made us become enemies. I had enough of that as a teenager. -I grew out of my assholishness.

+1. I lost my dad less than 1 month ago. I would do almost anything to be able to see, talk, hug, and tell him i love him again. Luckily he worked at the gun store with me so i saw him everyday and we agreed on guns. But if he was totally against them I would disarm in a heart beat for a couple hours to be with him again.

When they are gone you will look back on not going and regret it if you don't go.

Well dad, I really need to get as much work as possible done this Thanksgiving, so I need to stay close to home.

But hey, why don't you bring mom over here for the holiday?
That way we can be together and enjoy the day!

I didn't read your whole post. Took a long time to say you don't respect that your mother can have her own rules in her house in the free? USA.
Do they live in that bad of neighborhood you don't feel safe without your CDs? Just to make mom happy?
I've never had a problem respecting other's house rules,or even carried in a friend's house I knew wouldn't like it.
And if it's a dangerous neighborhood don't go. But don't argue with someone because they don't allow guns in their house.

"I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Go spend Thanksgiving with your family, cherish the time you spend with them as these opportunities will get fewer and fewer as you get older. Don't let silly squabbles over politics cause you to make decisions you may deeply regret in the future, life is far, far to short.

You could leave your gun in the car,Then next time you can leave your belief's in the car.it's a never ending cycle Once you gave an inch it's a mile the next time.Hope you can make the right choice. Family is important

There have been home invasions at home parties where the invaders raped and terrorized everyone. And going to and from your car is also a typical danger zone. You don't get to choose where and when you will be attacked. Not going ANYWHERE unarmed

Get them grandkidssss... If they want to see their grand kids they have to change their mind. My parents love my boy more then they love me. They will do anything for the grand kids :)

Leave firearm in the car, use Thanksgiving as a training opportunity to carry on your person everything you would need to get to said car. My handgun is just a tool to get me to my rifle that gets me to my....etc etc

You will have to make up your own mind.
We all get to live with the choices we make in life.
I would mention that having a gun does not mean a person is armed, and not having a gun does not mean a person is unarmed.

The title of this thread is misleading...

Pretty silly reason not to see family during the holidays. I dont always carry since I have an active lifestyle. Im not going to carry at the gym, on the basketball court, or in the pool. This "won't go anywhere unarmed" talk is a little over the top. If you're spending every minute of your day thinking someone is going to attack you or someone you love, you arent really living. Maybe if I was a drug dealer in Compton I would be armed at all times. Even have a gun in the shower like some of the members on the forum. Lol

Pretty silly reason not to see family during the holidays. I dont always carry since I have an active lifestyle.
I agree with the above. While I am as vigilant as the next person I do not necessarily believe danger lies behind every door and quite frankly I interpret some of outlined need to carry 100% of the time as irrationally paranoid. Given the driving statistics you are more likely to be injured due to a vehicle accident on your way there.

You are an adult and you are right to stick to your principals. You are a responsible gun owner and your parents need to learn accept you for who you are. IMO, the liberal mindset seems to never compromise or to listen to another's point of view. Your parents are being completely unreasonable, stay home and work and let them bask in the glory of their righteousness with their attempts to manipluate you.

Leave the gun in the car but get some tshirts like these...

3004niw.png

n5po5g.jpg

That will rile up the folks but I am kinda evil and enjoy that sort of thing;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top