JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Parents house,parents rules. Grow up and figure out a solution on your own. If you can't sort this out yourself, are you really mature enough to be packing anywhere?

Compromise and get a big Bowie knife and strap it to your thigh for Thanksgiving dinner. Be kind enough to offer to carve the bird or ham with it. :D

I had something similar to that happen with me and my sister at the time she smoked and I told her that you know I have seen a lot of stats that smoking has killed more people than guns excluding military/police action and she got all mad but it wasn't four years later she started having major health Problems and almost died and her doctor said that smoking had a lot to do with it. She quit smoking and now doesn't give me such a bad time about guns she still doesnt like me having them in her house and I respect that and I don't carry one there but she has backed off on giving me a bad time about guns. I would rather visit with my sister even if that means leaving my gun in my car or truck or at home specially after almost losing her. Guns come and go family once their gone their gone.

Okay 4Freedom. I haven't read any replies to your post, but I'm going to respond. Hope that's not a problem.

You may do whatever you want, but "I" would abide by my mother's wishes and not insist on bringing a gun into her home. I think the chances are EXTREMELY unlikely that some intruder is going to break into your parent's home on Thanksgiving while you all are there. Is that a real and sincere fear of yours? Does she live in Compton, CA? It's obvious that guns scare her, and I can understand why they do (most American's are soft these days). Did she say you could keep it in the garage? I would do that. Or the car. Your parents will not be around forever. What is more important? You spending time with them and making them happy or winning? You leave it in the car when you go in the post office or bank, what is the difference? Or do you refuse to go to those places also? I worry it might be a matter of pride for you, and pride is a terrible thing to lose a family member over.

edit: read page 3 and glad you guys got it worked out. :D

Open carry! Sneak an ankle rig too, in case Mom snatches the big one off your hip. It's our duty to teach openminded tolerance at every possible opportunity. They will eventually learn. Their silly values in their home are irrelevant. Show the neighbors, too! Then someday we can all think alike.

Actually, unless there is some imminent danger that a crazed gunman will kick the stuffing aside, pop out the *ss end of the turkey and start wasting your family at the supper table, I'm guessing that nervously gritting your teeth for one terrifying hour of one day, for the sake of some time and memories with your folks (no one lives forever), is more of an opportunity to grow than a tactical or idiological faux pas.

Not to echo too loudly what others have said... but go see your family.

You and your family differ about politics and gun rights. That's probably true for many families.

But you know what? I'd trade places with you an instant if I could see my father again. He passed away quite suddenly when I was younger, and there was no warning... no cancer, no obesity or health issues. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss him or wish I could talk to him. My mom's still around, and we treasure our time together.

If you must bring your gun, just leave it in your car. Enjoy the meal with your family, don't bring up politics, and if your mom really wants to talk about Obama, just let it slide. Being respectful of your parents despite their views isn't being weak or being a pushover.... it's a sign of maturity. At least, that's how I was raised.

EDIT: Finally caught with all the replies! Family time = the best time.

Blood is not thicker than water and sometimes family just sucks, is not the most precious thing in life, etc, that people spout off about. If they are jerks, they are jerks. Right them off.

My sister for instance is a royal bubblegum (as in female dog). I tried for a long time to be civil with it but it is just a trailer trash using scumbag. So I disassociated from her many years ago, haven't seen her since the 90s and she lives in Beaverton.

Family shamily - I'd rather spend my time with a good person who is NOT my blood than a worthless POS that is ....

Nope. Don't give in. What if you were not allowed in the house because you were the wrong religion? Or not welcome because your kids were mixed race.

Nope, family should not come with certain restrictions. Be available to them, and be cordial, but don't be a slave to their control. Abuse comes in all forms, and it's not ever acceptable.

WAYNO.

Ask your Dad if he took an oath with Government during his service in the Military. Ask him if he upheld that oath.
Then tell him you took an oath as well, an oath to the founding fathers that fought for the rights we all enjoy, and
in that right, the right to keep and bear arms, the right to free speech. You enjoy and uphold your right to bear arms,
and they enjoy thier right to free speech. Remove the 2nd and you'll lose the 1st! "only to validate your point of view"
If you love and enjoy your family, go and enjoy your time with them, if they'll let you keep your gun in the Garage,
keep it there, garage access usually pretty close to the living quarters. You could also pack a stun gun while your in the house,
until you get to your gun . They might be ok with that.

It's a shame you don't respect your parents enough to honor their request in order to spend time with them, especially since they've gone for years out of their way to see you.

But to be fair, the problem is partially theirs. They raised you.

My family lives in California. Consider yourself fortunate you have the option of leaving your weapon in the car, I don't even bring mine with me when I visit.

My family lives in California. Consider yourself fortunate you have the option of leaving your weapon in the car, I don't even bring mine with me when I visit.

At least in CA you can still open carry your Nerf gun..... can't you? :)

B3B76CEA5056900B10BB2095B6E3C72D.jpg

There are several options and you have made your choice but feel bad about it. I would recommend not feeling bad about your choice of standing up for your beliefs, you should not compromise your conscience even for your parents. They should be proud of you for that even if they don't agree with you. Your other options are to do what they say and feel like you are a little kid being told what to do. :( Tell them you will go along with their request (lie) but carry concealed anyway and don't tell them. That would be like being a rebellious teenager, saying yeah mom I'm going to be a Billy's house studying for the test" when in reality you were going to the party. ;). Or you could be the grown up in the room like you were and just tell them that if they want you to come they need to accept you as you are instead of judging you for exercising your lawful rights.

My father died a few years ago and although we never had guns growing up I took him shooting after I got into it and he was always supportive. I regularly carry at my mother's house, and to church. My wife was disowned by her parents for not going along with them in accepting the blame for her childhood abuse and neglect after she confronted them about it. They told her "If you wanted a clean house when you were 6 years old you could have cleaned it yourself." It was filthy. They wanted to scapegoat her and pretend there wasn't an issue. A simple apology is all it would have taken to be forgiven and restore the relationship. She hasn't had a relationship with either one of them in about 19 years. Their loss they don't know their own grandchildren because they are so stubborn and want to have a fake inauthentic relationship where everyone pretends to be something they're not. It is not worth it. I would rather be accepted or rejected for who I am than have to pretend in order to be loved.

I commend the courage it took to make the choice you did.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top