JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what happened in the last few weeks with the Oregon background checks (FICS). The queue was in the thousands, now all the sudden it is generally below 100 people in line?
Did we all stop buying guns or did OSP hire more people, or is something else going on?

That is your problem right there. Since you lived Out Of State and there are records of interactions with law enforcement, the OSP background checkers are going to want to make sure that you do not have any arrests or pending charges for any disqualifying crimes (Domestic Abuse, Drugs, Felonies or Misnomers that could carry a jail sentence of a year or more). Until the pudwacker at OSP is satisfied that you are not another Dylann Roof, your purchase will be delayed.

Are you on "Bench Probation"? Apparently that is a thing. A friend of mine got into a fight at the Rodeo. No charges were pressed by the other party, but the PD still gave him a drunk and disorderly. The city judge told him "Keep your nose clean for a year and this will go away". Ten months later he went to buy a pistol and got delayed. The PD showed up and told him that he can't purchase because he was on "Bench Probation".

It might be better to cancel and start over with a different FFL in a few weeks.
As far as I know, nothing like that. I left MT in '07 and moved back to Oregon. I'm pretty sure over the last 15 years I would've heard something. And since then, I've been background checked for multiple transfers, passport, TSA cargo... nothing has changed for me legally since my last BGC.

So what happened in the last few weeks with the Oregon background checks (FICS). The queue was in the thousands, now all the sudden it is generally below 100 people in line?
Did we all stop buying guns or did OSP hire more people, or is something else going on?
I have noticed that prices of older firearms models have dropped this month. People are feeling the affects of Bidenomics and are curtailing their purchased of "fun" items in favor of food and supplies.

As far as I know, nothing like that. I left MT in '07 and moved back to Oregon. I'm pretty sure over the last 15 years I would've heard something. And since then, I've been background checked for multiple transfers, passport, TSA cargo... nothing has changed for me legally since my last BGC.
Sounds like this OSP checker in not comfortable that all of your out of state interactions with law enforcement have been resolved.

Apologizes in advance for fruity video that explains the OSP BS

Update: It's been 2 months and still have heard nothing back from OSP. I've crossed my t's, dotted my i's, and checked my own record just in case there were some anomalies (someone once used my name as a dog's owner in MT in a report of a dog on the loose 9 months after my dog and I had moved to OR). Absolutely nothing on my record that would be cause for denial, and I've purchased/legally transferred many firearms in the past. I know they've got 10k+ delays to deal with, so I'm not surprised it's taking a little time with these stringent bgc's. In the meantime, I decided to finally apply for my CHL so this process doesn't have to play on repeat in the future. I initially applied online about a month ago, went in on 5/17 for a photo shoot and fingerprints. I was told at that time, they were going to have to put my application on hold to check on my duii in MT (which I had already anticipated). I figure, Clackamas County has 45 days to issue an approval or denial on CHL applications, so at least this has a light at the end of the tunnel. I received a letter from Clackamas County sheriff's office today and it turns out, they've been a lot more efficient in retrieving my information from over the mountain. Got my approval and my CHL in hand. Been a long time coming, and I should've done it years ago, but better late than never I guess. So now, I've left a new voice mail with the OSP firearms unit to check on the status of my transfer, and had the opportunity to add a little bit of extra detail that I've not had before. NGL, it feels good to finally get my CHL after years of talking about it. Now I just have to wait for OSP to clear their desks, which still may take some time, but I now know I'm not going to have to deal with these delays again in the future.

Benton County on the ball! Went in June 15th to rewew, got it in the mail today. 2wks. :s0155: 20yrs CCWing and have never had an issue.

Update: It's been 2 months and still have heard nothing back from OSP. I've crossed my t's, dotted my i's, and checked my own record just in case there were some anomalies (someone once used my name as a dog's owner in MT in a report of a dog on the loose 9 months after my dog and I had moved to OR). Absolutely nothing on my record that would be cause for denial, and I've purchased/legally transferred many firearms in the past. I know they've got 10k+ delays to deal with, so I'm not surprised it's taking a little time with these stringent bgc's. In the meantime, I decided to finally apply for my CHL so this process doesn't have to play on repeat in the future. I initially applied online about a month ago, went in on 5/17 for a photo shoot and fingerprints. I was told at that time, they were going to have to put my application on hold to check on my duii in MT (which I had already anticipated). I figure, Clackamas County has 45 days to issue an approval or denial on CHL applications, so at least this has a light at the end of the tunnel. I received a letter from Clackamas County sheriff's office today and it turns out, they've been a lot more efficient in retrieving my information from over the mountain. Got my approval and my CHL in hand. Been a long time coming, and I should've done it years ago, but better late than never I guess. So now, I've left a new voice mail with the OSP firearms unit to check on the status of my transfer, and had the opportunity to add a little bit of extra detail that I've not had before. NGL, it feels good to finally get my CHL after years of talking about it. Now I just have to wait for OSP to clear their desks, which still may take some time, but I now know I'm not going to have to deal with these delays again in the future.
Wrong...... OSP is seriously messed up right now. I have my CHL renewed last year. I was delayed 3 different time this year and they all cleared each time after emails and phone call and a visit to OSP HQ. I can tell you first hand having a CHL will put you in a different line but does not mean they won't delay you..... my interaction is within the last 3 months. OSP has some weird things going on and no good answers for any of it.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top