JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been a couple years since I've bought a firearm, and I know the times have changed. I'm not expecting the 5 minute approval it used to be, but the OSP queue had me over 2,500th place in line. After waiting the 7-8 days it took to get to my transfer, I got delayed, which isn't absolutely unheard of. I lived in MT for 10 years and my record isn't exactly spotless. I have some traffic violations and I've been in the drunk tank before, but I've never been involved in any kind of violent crime and definitely don't have felonies. That said, I've bought, sold, traded and legally transferred a dozen guns in the last 5 years without any hiccups and absolutely nothing has changed for me legally. I've called the challenge line and left a message with my info and availability, but been waiting without a word back over 2 weeks since I got the delay. No missed calls, no contact at all.
I guess my questions are,
Have any of you been experiencing troubles with delays?
Are there any new regulations I may have missed that would disqualify my transfer?
What's a reasonable expectation of how long it might take to get an answer?

I've been waiting over 14 months. I have called numerous times and left messages and never received a call back. I've bought several firearms over the last 5 years and never had an issue. It is very frustrating.

I'm really glad these BGCs are keeping guns out of the hands criminals... it's very encouraging and definitely doesn't insinuate that it'd be much easier to get a firearm illegally.

Cancel it and go somewhere else if possible. I've had buddies get put on hold. They canceled the transaction, went to another location, did the transaction again with no issues.

Cancel it and go somewhere else if possible. I've had buddies get put on hold. They canceled the transaction, went to another location, did the transaction again with no issues.
I might have considered that if I didn't already buy the gun, have it shipped, and pay for the transfer. I'm just stuck waiting. Looking at getting a UPIN to smooth things over, but the FBI is still processing VAF forms from October

It's been a couple years since I've bought a firearm, and I know the times have changed. I'm not expecting the 5 minute approval it used to be, but the OSP queue had me over 2,500th place in line. After waiting the 7-8 days it took to get to my transfer, I got delayed, which isn't absolutely unheard of. I lived in MT for 10 years and my record isn't exactly spotless. I have some traffic violations and I've been in the drunk tank before, but I've never been involved in any kind of violent crime and definitely don't have felonies. That said, I've bought, sold, traded and legally transferred a dozen guns in the last 5 years without any hiccups and absolutely nothing has changed for me legally. I've called the challenge line and left a message with my info and availability, but been waiting without a word back over 2 weeks since I got the delay. No missed calls, no contact at all.
I guess my questions are,
Have any of you been experiencing troubles with delays?
Are there any new regulations I may have missed that would disqualify my transfer?
What's a reasonable expectation of how long it might take to get an answer?
Fwiw I have bought a few firearms lately in OR and all have been instant approval to 5 minute delay maximum.

I might have considered that if I didn't already buy the gun, have it shipped, and pay for the transfer. I'm just stuck waiting. Looking at getting a UPIN to smooth things over, but the FBI is still processing VAF forms from October
Do you have a CHL? Cause that "normally" speeds up the process for a BGC or transfer.

Probably too little too late, but just took a qualifying online certification and submitted the Clackamas County application. Got an appointment scheduled and hopefully that'll get cleared and make things easier for the road ahead. At this rate though, might as well just wait until the next elections are over.

Probably too little too late, but just took a qualifying online certification and submitted the Clackamas County application. Got an appointment scheduled and hopefully that'll get cleared and make things easier for the road ahead. At this rate though, might as well just wait until the next elections are over.
Start carrying.

I lived in MT for 10 years and my record isn't exactly spotless. I have some traffic violations and I've been in the drunk tank before, but I've never been involved in any kind of violent crime and definitely don't have felonies.
That is your problem right there. Since you lived Out Of State and there are records of interactions with law enforcement, the OSP background checkers are going to want to make sure that you do not have any arrests or pending charges for any disqualifying crimes (Domestic Abuse, Drugs, Felonies or Misnomers that could carry a jail sentence of a year or more). Until the pudwacker at OSP is satisfied that you are not another Dylann Roof, your purchase will be delayed.

Are you on "Bench Probation"? Apparently that is a thing. A friend of mine got into a fight at the Rodeo. No charges were pressed by the other party, but the PD still gave him a drunk and disorderly. The city judge told him "Keep your nose clean for a year and this will go away". Ten months later he went to buy a pistol and got delayed. The PD showed up and told him that he can't purchase because he was on "Bench Probation".

It might be better to cancel and start over with a different FFL in a few weeks.

.Are you on "Bench Probation"? Apparently that is a thing. A friend of mine got into a fight at the Rodeo. No charges were pressed by the other party, but the PD still gave him a drunk and disorderly. The city judge told him "Keep your nose clean for a year and this will go away". Ten months later he went to buy a pistol and got delayed. The PD showed up and told him that he can't purchase because he was on "Bench Probation".
Your friend took a plea or no contest charge to get on bench probation for a year... and not to be confused with a bench warrant (that a person may not be aware of) he most definately knew he was on probation when he attempted to make the purchase. "Bench" probation simply differs in that he isn't required to report to or have his case monitored by a probation officer. Being put on probation as a result of a charge is still probation.. no matter if it's monitored or not.

No I don't. I know that's the smart way to go, but I don't conceal carry, so I haven't gotten around to getting that done.
It's not always about if you plan to carry or not on a regular basis so much as it is exercising your right in a "will issue" State. Like voter registration... that doesn't mean you have to vote, but it allows you to exercise that right if you so choose at any point and time.

Failing to exercise the rights granted to us increases the risk of having them further infringed, IMHO. Let your "voice" be heard. ;)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top