JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've worked on a number of projects where the joke was that the worst thing we could wish on our competitors was that they would get ahold of our source code. That includes my last job at Daimler.
LOL, I once had to clean up some test code from a guy who was apparently allergic to modules. Half of the test functions were copy-pastes with a few minor differences. Could have had 2 or maybe three functions for 80% of his tests. :rolleyes: He applied for a developer position on another team and the boss told them "sure he's fine" just to get rid of him. I said "Hey that looked like a fun job. Wish I'd know it was open." He said "Oh you're not going anywhere, I need people who can code." :s0140: Two months later I wound up writing a bit of code for him because he couldn't figure it out and nobody on his favorite forum would help him anymore. :D

LOL, I once had to clean up some test code from a guy who was apparently allergic to modules. Half of the test functions were copy-pastes with a few minor differences. Could have had 2 or maybe three functions for 80% of his tests. :rolleyes: He applied for a developer position on another team and the boss told them "sure he's fine" just to get rid of him. I said "Hey that looked like a fun job. Wish I'd know it was open." He said "Oh you're not going anywhere, I need people who can code." :s0140: Two months later I wound up writing a bit of code for him because he couldn't figure it out and nobody on his favorite forum would help him anymore. :D

Yup. I was a lead on a project some years ago and we had a guy like that. It took two months to get him off the team and he just went to a different team. The thing was that he was on one of the big contractor's payroll and they just moved him around. He set us back several months because he kept saying he was getting his work done, but he never pushed anything into the repo.

That was one of the problems with Daimler - but when they decided they wanted to let go half the IT staff this last spring, we got about 30 minutes notice. They knew beforehand they were going to do that (they had to in order to know who they were going to let go, they didn't just pick names out of hats), and they were supposed to give 2 weeks notice (they required us to give that much notice), but they just called us up while working at home and told us we were let go. So they kept it secret right up to a couple hours before the end of our last day. :rolleyes:

This is how most employers work today; they say they are all about looking out for their workers, but they don't. I am so glad I am retiring and I don't need to put up with that kind of crap - even though over the decades I have come to expect it, when they pull it, I am still disappointed in them. One of my bosses acted like he didn't know it was going to happen, but he had to know in order to tell his boss who to keep and who to let go - it wasn't random. :mad:

Something similar happen with me about 5 years back I went to purchase a shield 9 got delayed went back the next day purchased a 1911 Springfield an got approved instantly, the ffl dealer was confused so he called nics an had explained what happen an they approved me on the delayed transaction right away.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top