JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in WA, thinking about getting a OR CHL, but want to make sure it is worth the cost.

Are you legally allowed to carry in the Rose Garden or the Memorial Colliseum? It is not during sporting events. Are there any restrictions to carrying there, or during concerts?

Can someone point me to a good Readers' Digest version of where I can and cannot carry in OR and what signs hold force of law?

Signs in Oregon do not hold the letter of the law. However, if someone asks you to leave, you must leave or face being hit with trespassing with a firearm, which is a class-c misdemeanor.

The Rose Garden has signs that you cannot carry, and if you go online, they even go to the point of telling off duty LE not to carry on their property. I don't go to the Rose Garden because of this. They can get their money from other sheep, but I refuse to support private property owners that hold such a low opinion of the value of your life. That said, even if you were allowed to carry at a large event like that, you wouldn't be able to get a clean shot on an assailant without risking collateral damage, and unlike the police, you will be held accountable for your missed rounds.

If you make it down into Oregon at all, it's better to have your CHL than not. Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other state's, so you must get the Oregon one. Oregon is an open carry state, but allows for local jurisdictions to limit non-CHL holders. Multnomah County limits virtually all of your gun rights.

I have a Washington CHL, I don't go up there that often, but it's nice to not have to worry about "forgetting" that I have a firearm on my person when I cross that stupid bridge.

Signs in Oregon do not hold the letter of the law. However, if someone asks you to leave, you must leave or face being hit with trespassing with a firearm, which is a class-c misdemeanor.

The Rose Garden has signs that you cannot carry, and if you go online, they even go to the point of telling off duty LE not to carry on their property. I don't go to the Rose Garden because of this. They can get their money from other sheep, but I refuse to support private property owners that hold such a low opinion of the value of your life. That said, even if you were allowed to carry at a large event like that, you wouldn't be able to get a clean shot on an assailant without risking collateral damage, and unlike the police, you will be held accountable for your missed rounds.

If you make it down into Oregon at all, it's better to have your CHL than not. Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other state's, so you must get the Oregon one. Oregon is an open carry state, but allows for local jurisdictions to limit non-CHL holders. Multnomah County limits virtually all of your gun rights.

I have a Washington CHL, I don't go up there that often, but it's nice to not have to worry about "forgetting" that I have a firearm on my person when I cross that stupid bridge.

You bring up a good point about not having a clean shot in a large gathering place (do you know if the colliseum has such signs?). I'm in such an environment at the colliseum that I'm not usually worried (lots of off duty LEOs I suspect), but going to the parking garage, or grabbing a snack at the Plaid Pantry near the hotel or what not....different story.

+1 to that. If you have any plans to carry on Multnomah Co., it would be a good idea to have it. I've got family in Washington, so I have both licenses myself. The expense really isn't that bad, though it would be nice if we didn't need them at all.

The following items are not permitted into Rose Quarter facilities: food, beverages (including alcohol, soda & water), bottles, cans, weapons, firearms, coolers, containers, illegal substances, noisemakers, air horns, whistles, laser pointers, balloons, or oversized banners.

<broken link removed>

Private property owners are allowed to tell you that you aren't allowed on the premises unless you're wearing a polkadot clown costume. When they tell me I can't carry my firearm for my protection, I tell them to pound sand and I'll spend my money elsewhere.

The following items are not permitted into Rose Quarter facilities: food, beverages (including alcohol, soda & water), bottles, cans, weapons, firearms, coolers, containers, illegal substances, noisemakers, air horns, whistles, laser pointers, balloons, or oversized banners.

<broken link removed>

Private property owners are allowed to tell you that you aren't allowed on the premises unless you're wearing a polkadot clown costume. When they tell me I can't carry my firearm for my protection, I tell them to pound sand and I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I do not have such a luxury. I have compelling business interests there.

no metal detectors or pat downs when I go through. They sometimes check bags to make sure they can sell me overpriced water.

I haven't been there in a while myself, though I did spend a year there helping to build it. Just haven't had much need to go back since then.

Sounds like you'd benefit from a small deep concealment pistol.

I haven't been there in a while myself, though I did spend a year there helping to build it. Just haven't had much need to go back since then.

Sounds like you'd benefit from a small deep concealment pistol.

well, for small deep concleament pistol I was planning more on a G19 or XDS. Wore a G19 just fine a few weeks back in a suit....kept the coat on. XDS is probably what I'd take since it fits a wider variety of environments than the G19.

well, for small deep concleament pistol I was planning more on a G19 or XDS. Wore a G19 just fine a few weeks back in a suit....kept the coat on. XDS is probably what I'd take since it fits a wider variety of environments than the G19.
I can wear my G19 on the boat with Swim Shorts (Belt loop style & belt with IWB Hydden Hybrid Holster) and a T shirt & flip flops all day & Launchin & retrevin the boat too at dock . (Around lotsa folks including my guests passengers)

I worked at the Rose Quarter (around '04-'06?) and they had a firearm check for off duty LEOs, iirc.
I never had to deal with it and I think they knew to deal directly with the event security leads.
As far as metal detectors, I think they used them once or twice in the 2-3 yrs I was there. I think one was for a Britney Spears concert that took place around the time of the Madrid train bombing.
I think they have to deal with the terror alert (OMG!!!!!DOOOM!!) level and adjust their screening accordingly.
But yeah, don't put it in a bag/purse next to that evil water.

You bring up a good point about not having a clean shot in a large gathering place (do you know if the colliseum has such signs?). I'm in such an environment at the colliseum that I'm not usually worried (lots of off duty LEOs I suspect), but going to the parking garage, or grabbing a snack at the Plaid Pantry near the hotel or what not....different story.
Ive carried in both.
Worst case is I have to leave without a refund should they do a pat down.. Which they dont do hardly ever. Ive seen it.. But its been a while. They are mostly looking for drugs and alcohol being smuggled in.

doubtful I'll have to deal with that. When I go, the crowd is pretty straight laced.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like carrying in OR is similar enough to WA for my purposes to not get me in hot water. I think I'll go ahead and get a CHL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top