JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not that you would but.. there are areas when you might not have the best concealment options.

I came across these videos:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMaJKEVTAo&feature=player_embedded
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3TuTm4a-M&feature=related
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTt_0Iq1xZU&feature=related
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqode6S-U5Q&feature=related
(Yes it took 38 minutes for them to realize they were in the wrong)

My question spawned after watching the first video.

In Oregon, a concealed carry permit holder: Do they still have the right to open carry? Correct me on any of my wrongness.

Permit holder:
  • open carries. They are under the same laws/rules as one who does not have a permit but chooses to open carry.
  • Conceals: under state law regarding concealed carry.

Can a concealed permit holder get nailed for open carrying? (in the proper places)

Am I making sense? I hope so.

Yes you can still open carry with a CHL in Oregon.

And. as I just learned last month, a CHL holder CAN still open carry in Portland, Beaverton, etc... (Those cities have "no open carry laws" but are NOT applicable to CHL holders. However, if you're a CHL holder and open carry in one of those cities, be prepared to be in the same position as the guy in the videos... you'll have some 'splainin' to do. Best to carry the Oregon RCW's in your pocket if you plan on Open Carry in one of those places.

I carry concealed, but I never worry about my shirt riding up, or printing... If I can Open carry, and Concealed carry, then it makes no difference either way :cool:

You can open carry, anywhere in Oregon (Save for those few places, federal buildings, ect), portland just has stipulations that it CANNOT be loaded.

If you have a carry permit in oregon, this stipulation against having it loaded doesn't apply. The state has preemption which means that your permit applies (concealed or openly) in all but a select few places, including federal buildings, secure parts of the airport, and jails.

So short answer: With a carry permit in Oregon, you can open carry loaded whenever, whereever with extremely few exceptions.

Any question you have is answered here.
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Best to never accept the advice from anywone as gospel. It could land you in trouble.
The firearms laws are listed on this page for the State of Oregon.
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Yes

I ask because I read this over and over and over and it's hard for me to really grasp the answer to the question. I'm a simple guy and legal stuff confuses me when it's the same thing stated over and over again.

Yes

I ask because I read this over and over and over and it's hard for me to really grasp the answer to the question. I'm a simple guy and legal stuff confuses me when it's the same thing stated over and over again.

There is nothing in the ORS that MANDATES a CHL holder to carry concealed. The license opens the door to allow you to keep it concealed. As has been pointed out some of the restrictions that are on non license holders in certain city limits do not apply when you have a CHL.

Someone not long ago had a nice analogy that just because you have a drivers license doesn't mean you can never ride a bike again or walk.

Great videos, amazing how bent the police officer was to turn a law abiding citizen into a criminal. I have to wonder how he got the police tape. I'm guessing he went to court and got the tape released. I am very unimpressed with the police officer that pulled him over. Dropping F bombs and proclaiming the OC'r to be a nut and wishing him harm. Not what I'd call a shining example of WI finests if you ask me.

If you have a carry permit in oregon, this stipulation against having it loaded doesn't apply. The state has preemption which means that your permit applies (concealed or openly) in all but a select few places, including federal buildings, secure parts of the airport, and jails.

So short answer: With a carry permit in Oregon, you can open carry loaded whenever, whereever with extremely few exceptions.

Also this.

Interesting thread.

Quick question. I was told in my CCW class that if you were carying concealed and someone saw your firearm that they could press charges. Example paying for something at the checkout and your jacket opens up and the clerk can see your pistol.

I was curious if this changed being the CCW class was in the mid 90's.

Thanks

Interesting thread.

Quick question. I was told in my CCW class that if you were carying concealed and someone saw your firearm that they could press charges. Example paying for something at the checkout and your jacket opens up and the clerk can see your pistol.

Thanks

That is incorrect information. You are in no way restricted to carrying concealed simply because you went to the trouble of getting a CHL. A CHL actually expands your options not limit them.

Interesting thread.

Thanks

It's private property and they could ask you to leave. If you refuse you can be trespassed.

When cops deal with me when i open carry......if they are nice i am nice.....and i will let them know the law.......if they are rude i talk less and don't say anything that could make thing worse....i have yet to ask for a supervisor or sgt. Etc. But all u need to tell them is ORS 166.173 and ORS 166.370. If they r still in ur face tell them to arrest you......and u get to sue hahahahahahaha. If the LEO is on top of his/her game and is a good cop he/she will know that with ur ccw/chp/cwp you have the RIGHT to open carry in public.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top