JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know what you mean. I have a 3" racing down pipe and a Thermal R&D exhaust on my turbo 4G63. It can be loud, but it sounds so damn sexy. The thing that bothers me though is that motorcycle riders will be at more of a risk of getting run over by non-observent car drivers because of this bill. Most of my biker buddies say "Loud pipes save lives" since they can quickly get a drivers attention by down shifting and giving their bike some gas so that the idiot on their cell phone/applying make up/shaving/eating/wearing head phones can hear them and look around.

I installed an Italian 135 DB mini air horn on my street bike.. it is nearly as effective as a particle beam weapon on careless cagers. I swear I can see them jump when I fire that baby up

I guess I am the odd man out, but I am for this bill. I am tired of my windows rattling because some turd put a Foldier's coffee can on his econobox car.
Same goes for bikes. Work with a guy who has a pretty new bike and he replaced the exhaust system to make it louder. So what does he do? Uses ear plugs.
I don't mind the old glass packs, they were a bit louder than stock exhaust, but had a nice mean sounds to them. A ricer car with a coffee can muffler is just freaking retarded.

I guess I am the odd man out, but I am for this bill. I am tired of my windows rattling because some turd put a Foldier's coffee can on his econobox car.
Same goes for bikes. Work with a guy who has a pretty new bike and he replaced the exhaust system to make it louder. So what does he do? Uses ear plugs.
I don't mind the old glass packs, they were a bit louder than stock exhaust, but had a nice mean sounds to them. A ricer car with a coffee can muffler is just freaking retarded.

I don't like Honda's with fart cans either..

Why should I give up my right to alter my exhaust on my vehicles just because of this?

I will admit I have not read the bill, so maybe I'm off base here. I have no problem with the exhaust being altered, as long as it does not make it so damn noisy that I can hear the darn thing in my house over my tv, radio whatever.
My basic rule of life is "you can wave your arms around as much as you want, but your right to wave your arms stop at the point when you make contact with my face". (I'm not the one who came up with the above, but it is a great general philosophy).

I simply have a VW that is quite loud. While it sounds like a beautiful symphony to me, I am sure it annoys the bubblegum out of others. Its not a daily driver, but I do enjoy a lot. I don't go ripping around neighborhoods with it either. I know its pretty stupid loud, and I try to be polite with the loud pedal when appropriate.

I wouldn't want to take the right away of exhaust modification, just because there are those who are not polite with their loud pedals.

All these sorts of laws accomplish is taking everything underground. If a dumb kid with a Japanese car wants a pointless, loud exhaust, he'll come up with one even if he or his buddies have to make it

All this does is impact your average hotrodder like me and my rarely driven specialty car that originally came with a loud exhaust. It needs to breathe free, it has over 600 horsepower!

Oh, I suppose that will be next, horsepower limitations. This sort of nanny state is just what it'll take to come after our guns, too

You know, every morning about 3am there's something that drives by. I don't normally hear traffic in my house, but this thing sounds like an elephant with a bad case of gas. I really wish I had an RPG so I could get some sleep in the early hours. I don't see why some people think it's cool to make an exhaust system (which is supposed to quiet the engine) so loud that you can give rabbits heart attacks at 50 yards. Jezus why don't we all just pull our exhaust system and just put headers on. We have a muscle car with a monster engine in it. And it has a nice and quiet exhaust system (unless we romp on it) and it still has all the power it available.

You know, every morning about 3am there's something that drives by. I don't normally hear traffic in my house, but this thing sounds like an elephant with a bad case of gas. I really wish I had an RPG so I could get some sleep in the early hours. I don't see why some people think it's cool to make an exhaust system (which is supposed to quiet the engine) so loud that you can give rabbits heart attacks at 50 yards. Jezus why don't we all just pull our exhaust system and just put headers on. We have a muscle car with a monster engine in it. And it has a nice and quiet exhaust system (unless we romp on it) and it still has all the power it available.

actually mufflers are to quiet down the engine, the exhaust is to transport the nasty carbon-monoxide to the rear of the vehicle where the driver and the passengers won't have to smell it. as for power, some research has been done and they find small increases in power from opening up the exhaust. in my opinion the gains aren't worth it unless you like the sound. now in my case, an open down-pipe does actually create quite a bit of performance gains, but i am running a large turbo that likes to breath...my two cents

actually mufflers are to quiet down the engine, the exhaust is to transport the nasty carbon-monoxide to the rear of the vehicle where the driver and the passengers won't have to smell it. as for power, some research has been done and they find small increases in power from opening up the exhaust. in my opinion the gains aren't worth it unless you like the sound. now in my case, an open down-pipe does actually create quite a bit of performance gains, but i am running a large turbo that likes to breath...my two cents

Not necessarily, there is some backflow required on some vehicles, without it may cause it to actually lose power. Same goes with those aftermarket air filters. My car has been shown to LOSE power at the wheels after fitting an aftermarket air filter.

People believe the hype, and it's not always right! I don't disagree, and it really doesn't benefit my own argument I posted before about not supporting this bill, but a lot of vehicles really don't benefit from this stuff.

My exhaust on my 2 liter rice eater sounds damn sexy. It doesn't get too loud until my wastegate dumps to atmo. Then it sounds like a j-brake just went off once I hit 15 lbs of boost on my BW S256 ETT turbo.

Not necessarily, there is some backflow required on some vehicles, without it may cause it to actually lose power. Same goes with those aftermarket air filters. My car has been shown to LOSE power at the wheels after fitting an aftermarket air filter.

People believe the hype, and it's not always right! I don't disagree, and it really doesn't benefit my own argument I posted before about not supporting this bill, but a lot of vehicles really don't benefit from this stuff.

agreed, there was a noticeable decrease in power wheni had my for straight piped, and i do know that there is a lot of hype, just saying that some(although small) gains CAN be had from opening up factory exhaust, although a lot of people take it too far and they do lose necessary back pressure.

I wrote a little note to the politician. This is what I said:
This is preposterous. This will hurt Oregon businesses. I am so sick of lawmakers that feel the need to just create more laws for the sake of creating laws. Do lawmakers ever spend time just reviewing antiquated laws and determining what can be repealed? Every time I turn around someone is trying to restrict or outlaw something else. At this rate it is only a matter of time before someone outlaws or restricts something you enjoy.
Broken factory exhausts can be much louder than an aftermarket exhaust. I don't enjoy hearing the obnoxiously loud fart-piped Honda's, but this is America. We were all young once, and sure maybe a 71 Camaro had a better exhaust note, but its not like a loud fart pipe is raping or killing anyone. If you want to make laws, how about stiffer penalties for animal cruelty and neglect, and stiffer penalties for rapists and child molesters.

The reason they want to regulate it is because of the retards who tear through the suburbs at 3am with their Harleys and/or rice burners, waking people for blocks, and proving what we already suspected about the size of their manhood.

(rolls eyes) probably a fun fast car...but it's still a ricer

It is at 301 AWHP and it still needs new cams and a full sized intercooler. It should end up in the 400-450 AWHP range when I'm done. I made a funny on a car forum since my car is a DSM and some honda guys where screaming VTEC this and VTEC that. I had to ask them what VTEC sounded like because I'm usually 6-7 car lengths ahead of them when it goes off. To retorts were hilarious and the honda kids shut up. Then another DSM guy stated that his lug nuts require more torque to remove them than a honda engine can put out.

yay for exempt vehicles... my newest modded car is 40 years old. no DEQ, no issues.
my motorcycles are exempt from the silliness, too... newest one is 44 years old.

my harley has open pipes and high compression. kick it over in the wee hours of the morn and putt outta the neighborhood as quiet as possible. ive asked my neighbors; nobody seems to notice.
the car, on the other hand......

Seems you have a handle on it, a little courtesy goes a long way. Just like boom boxes. There is a time and place to rev it up, crank it but that time is not any time or that place any place.

As far a loud pipes save lives, don't know about that. Some people in their cages with the stereo crank loud, don't hear anything out side of their cage. Probably like most issues, it a a few that ruins it for the vast majority.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top