JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This came to me in email through my SEMA membership...

This may have an effect on some of you.

Oregon Introduces Bill to Ban the Sale of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

A bill (H.B. 3214) to ban the sale of certain new motor vehicle exhaust systems or exhaust system components that cause motor vehicles to produce noise that exceeds noise limits has been introduced by Oregon State Representative Phil Barnhart ([email protected]). Under the bill, noise limits would be specified in rules adopted by the Environmental Quality Commission (DEQ). However, in 1991 the DEQ terminated its noise control program. The bill has not yet been assigned to a committee for consideration.

We Urge You to Contact Representative Phil Barnhart (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request That He Withdraw H.B. 3214

• H.B. 3214 would prohibit the sale of these exhaust systems in Oregon. The bill would also prohibit the sale of these systems by an Oregon-based business to an out-of-state customer.

• H.B. 3214 provides no clear standard to enforce, and refers to DEQ noise standards that are not currently in use. The bill could allow DEQ to resurrect its noise control program or create a new and unspecified standard.

• H.B. 3214 makes no accommodation for SEMA model legislation to allow vehicle hobbyists to buy and install aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test (SAE J1169).

• H.B. 3214 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 3214 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

• H.B. 3214 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact Oregon State Representative Phil Barnhart immediately by phone or e-mail to request that he withdraw H.B. 3214.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Representative Phil Barnhart
[email protected]
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1411

It's inevitable man! The majority of people don't know what an exhaust is and don't care about the minority who mod their cars...next they'll ban colored cars and have them all black because who needs a red or blue car anyway? After that is engine power and size lol

What a bunch of BS

It's inevitable man! The majority of people don't know what an exhaust is and don't care about the minority who mod their cars...next they'll ban colored cars and have them all black because who needs a red or blue car anyway? After that is engine power and size lol

What a bunch of BS

on the paint subject - CA is pushing for a ban on dark colored paint for new cars - they claim dark colors make you run the A/C more and cause more pollution. I don't think they will be able to make it stick but complete idiocy on their part. (and you thought the ban on paint was so ridiculous that no one would attempt it :s0114: )

I find this funny for one reason and one reason only. The noisy exhaust systems that anger people so much aren't exhaust systems at all, they're just rear mufflers, or even just pipe tips.

This is pathetic, because usually full exhaust systems are quite good sounding, even to non-enthusiasts.

Who understands what I'm talking about?

Go talk to your Motorcycle buddies.
They are screwing us everywhere.Or at least trying to.Right now it's noise,but we have catalytic converters in the pipes now so,it's kinda illegal to take them off the new bikes.

Motoring won't be any fun any more,between gas prices and no noisy pipes.

I find this funny for one reason and one reason only. The noisy exhaust systems that anger people so much aren't exhaust systems at all, they're just rear mufflers, or even just pipe tips.

This is pathetic, because usually full exhaust systems are quite good sounding, even to non-enthusiasts.

But the quote above says 95 decibels, not 'good sounding', whatever that is.

My neighbor has a loud Harley he revs extensively and regularly at dawn whenever he heads out. If he wants to do that, then maybe he should buy a couple of acres out in the country instead of doing it 25 ft from my bedroom window.

My neighbor has a loud Harley he revs extensively and regularly at dawn whenever he heads out. If he wants to do that, then maybe he should buy a couple of acres out in the country instead of doing it 25 ft from my bedroom window.

Those damn Harley riders.I try to keep it down in certain places.No need to piss the neighbors off.

So they want to force you to make your cars quieter, but want to keep it illegal to reduce the eardrum shattering report of our guns to safe levels by allowing suppressors.... why?

Borrowing an often repeated phrase from HBO's Deadwood series; "Limberdikked kokksukkers".
They'll get my freeflowing exhaust when they pry it from my ......................
'nuff said.

• H.B. 3214 makes no accommodation for SEMA model legislation to allow vehicle hobbyists to buy and install aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test (SAE J1169).

The quote says the bill doesn't have that allowance.

I know what you mean. I have a 3" racing down pipe and a Thermal R&D exhaust on my turbo 4G63. It can be loud, but it sounds so damn sexy. The thing that bothers me though is that motorcycle riders will be at more of a risk of getting run over by non-observent car drivers because of this bill. Most of my biker buddies say "Loud pipes save lives" since they can quickly get a drivers attention by down shifting and giving their bike some gas so that the idiot on their cell phone/applying make up/shaving/eating/wearing head phones can hear them and look around.

yay for exempt vehicles... my newest modded car is 40 years old. no DEQ, no issues.
my motorcycles are exempt from the silliness, too... newest one is 44 years old.

my harley has open pipes and high compression. kick it over in the wee hours of the morn and putt outta the neighborhood as quiet as possible. ive asked my neighbors; nobody seems to notice.
the car, on the other hand......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads