JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ordered an item from Amazon for my Dad who lives in WA a few years ago. I lived in Oregon and my billing address was in Oregon as well. I had the item shipped to my Dad in WA. They charged me a sales tax, evidently because the item was being delivered to a WA address.

Currently if a WA resident orders a product and has it shipped to Oregon will a WA sales tax be charged?

According to this source it is based on the shipping address, which sounds about right to me?

Billing and Shipping Addresses in Different States

TaxJar users who ask us this question are often conflicted because their customer's billing and shipping addresses are in totally different states. This scenario could mean the difference between charging sales tax or not charging sales tax.
Example: You live and run your jewelry business in Ohio, and have a regular customer who also lives in Ohio. But in this case, he wants you to ship a gift to his mother in West Virginia. You don't have sales tax nexus in West Virginia, so in this case, you would not need to charge your customer sales tax on the transaction because you are shipping the item to a state where you don't have nexus. The fact that your customer's billing address is in Ohio is irrelevant in this case.

Source: https://www.taxjar.com/blog/calculations/use-billing-address-shipping-address-calculating-sales-tax

I ordered an item from Amazon for my Dad who lives in WA a few years ago. I lived in Oregon and my billing address was in Oregon as well. I had the item shipped to my Dad in WA. They charged me a sales tax, evidently because the item was being delivered to a WA address.

Currently if a WA resident orders a product and has it shipped to Oregon will a WA sales tax be charged?
Again not an expert here but, we have several times used our Amazon account to send things to kids. Last couple times we did this we were charged the sales tax rate for the state the item went to, not WA.
Last two times I ordered a firearm from another state, from a dealer, the FFL in that state did not charge me sales tax at all. I did have to have an invoice from the sending FFL so my dealer here could charge me WA sales tax on only the cost of the firearm. Not things like shipping.

Did you check the "this item is a gift" box? That could make a difference, since gifts should not be subject to sales tax.

The other way around this would be to ship to Oregon, then ship to the reciepent, but the added shipping would be more than the tax.

Did you check the "this item is a gift" box? That could make a difference, since gifts should not be subject to sales tax.

The other way around this would be to ship to Oregon, then ship to the reciepent, but the added shipping would be more than the tax.
I would be shocked if any state that has a sales tax would let that go. If you walk into a store there and buy a "gift" they sure want their cut. Next time we send something to one of the kids will have to try checking that box and see if it changes anything since nothing to lose here.

This is the solution that I think could work for WA residents that don't live to far from border. Order products from companies refusing to ship to WA and have them shipped to Oregon., then go to Oregon and pick them up when they arrive.

I would be shocked if any state that has a sales tax would let that go. If you walk into a store there and buy a "gift" they sure want their cut. Next time we send something to one of the kids will have to try checking that box and see if it changes anything since nothing to lose here.
I meant this for the Oregon resident that sent gifts to Taxington (Washington).

I meant this for the Oregon resident that sent gifts to Taxington (Washington).
I would be VERY surprised if WA would let that slide. They want that money! Would be interesting to see what happens if someone in OR tries that though. See if Amazon will let the sales tax slide if they check that box. If they do and the revenue people here get wind of it? They will be telling places they want that money.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting WA residents evade the sales tax. As a WA resident, if you order products and have them sent to an Oregon address for yourself, you will likely still owe a tax. The idea I am proposing is to circumvent the company bans on legal products. Each person will be responsible for figuring out what is legal for them possess in various locations and what taxes they may or may not owe.

Not for me! :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR